dberry352

Keyboard and Touchpad Unresponsive

A few days ago I shut down my computer, which I hadn't for a few days, and when I restarted it in the morning my keyboard and touchpad was unresponsive.  I tried a wireless keyboard and mouse that I hooked up through my USB and this worked.  Looking through my device manager I noticed under both my keyboard that the drivers were up to date but had an error message that stated that this device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24) As for my touchpad the drivers were up to date but also had an error message that stated this device cannot start. (Code 10) So I tried a few other tricks such as restoring, however, they failed to complete because my computer failed to restart during the process. Which this lead me to think that a update that may have taken place before I restarted caused these issues. However, any help or advice on how to troubleshoot would be welcomed.

dberry352

Re: Keyboard and Touchpad Unresponsive

my model is a satellite L505D S5983

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L505D-S5983 

I tried a few other tricks such as restoring, however, they failed to complete because my computer failed to restart during the process.

So you cannot boot Windows? Or what?

-Jerry
dberry352

Everything else seems to work fine, my computer, when shut down, starts up normally, however, when i try to restart after installing new drivers, restoring to a previous date, or any other time it will not fully complete the process. This leads me to believe when i had shut down my computer and the windows updates took effect it somehow caused this.  However, i am not sure which update caused this and if i should just delete all previous updates then install THE latest update to see if this helps.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

when i try to restart after installing new drivers, restoring to a previous date, or any other time it will not fully complete the process.

I don't know what that means. Remember, we can't see what you see. You need to paint a picture.

Description of Code 10-related errors that Device Manager generates in Windows-based computers

Code 24
This device is not present, is not working properly, or does not have all its drivers installed. (Code 24)

Cause

The device is installed incorrectly. The problem could be a hardware failure, or a new driver might be needed.

Devices stay in this state if they have been prepared for removal. After you remove the device, this error disappears.

Recommended resolution

Remove the device, and this error should be resolved.

-Jerry
cjschaff

Did those suggestions work?

My wife has a L505D LS5006 laptop.  She had it shut down, and upon turning it back on the keyboard did not work.  A USB keyboard worked great when plugged in.

After searching this Forum, I came to the conclusion (besides that Toshiba appearently don't read or respond to customers problems)  that ALOT of people has had the same or very simular problem.

A cure to the symptom but NOT a fix to the problem, for them and for my wifes computer, was to remove the battery and use the computer directly plugged into the power source.

From what I could find in Toshiba's website so far, was that they have no cure or they don't know about the problem.

Wish you luck and if this is the same problem, please let me know.  

Thanks

GGasiorowski

I am having the same issue with my Toshiba Satellite L505D-LS5010. I can't use my touchpad or my keyboard, with exception to the "FN", Escape, and Function Keys.

I am very certain that this is a device driver issue. When you delete a device, does it automatically re-search and re-install it?

(P.S. Nothing but problems since I got my Toshiba; definitely buying LG or Acer next time...or anything but Toshiba) 

dnadarwin

same issue here with my satellite c655-s5514. i've reinstalled both drivers, but still no improvement. device  in control panel says error 10.

usb mouse work and on screen keyboard.

help please!