impaired

Keyboard Ribbon Cable Clip

Hey guys, I have a problem that has been plaguing me for years, and because of it I can not use my keyboard (only a USB keyboard can be used).

My keyboard broke a few years ago, so I replaced it. Only problem is that I lost the clip the attaches the ribbon wire (from the keyboard of course) to the motherboard. Because of this little piece, I can't use it.

Can ANYONE help me find that piece? Thank you so much!

impaired

Re: Keyboard Ribbon Cable Clip

I think it would help if I mentioned that I have a Toshiba Satellite A105-4324.

I hope someone can help me with this... PLEASE! :smileyhappy:

zooiegirl

I had this problem. I replaced mine from a broken laptop I had laying around (they are all the same size clip) and it fixed the problem. A cheap and easy fix if that is your issue.

It might not be easy for you to find a broken laptop and clip (I own a computer repair store, lots of junk here!), so if you can't you can also try a piece of strong adhesive tape to hold it in place.  I bet that works just as well as the clip.

If you are unable to get either of these to work they do sell full size silicone keyboards that roll up, if transporting a keyboard around is an issue.

BillHenning

[ Edited ]

I had the same problem and solved it today.  If you can find some stiff thin plastic film (like from a blister package) cut a small strip as wide as the ribbon cable.  Now with the keyboard out try to insert the plastic film into the cable slot.  It has to be a pretty thin piece to fit in there.  I had to experiment with several to find one thin enough. A magnifying glass definitely helps when doing this.  When you get the right thickness it will fit pretty far into the slot, like maybe a millimeter or two.

Now insert the ribbon into the slot and hold it in place while trying to insert the plastic film into the same slot on top if it.  If you can't get them both into the slot at the same time then go back and try to find a thinner piece of plastic film.  When you find the right one and can get both the film and the ribbon into the slot you will find that the plastic strip will hold the ribbon cable securely and give a good connection, just like the original connector. 

Finally take the cable and film out and trim the film piece to about 1/2 inch long.  Then reinsert both again and secure them all by a piece of scotch tape over the ribbon, film, and connector.  The tape may not be necessary but it made me feel better!

BTW, I did use a tape only fix for a while butit did not work as well, and needed frequent repair since the connection was not very good.  Seemed like some keys were not responding because of that.  Now they all work consistently, Yay!

I hope this helps others with this problem.  The little connector Toshiba used breaks easily so this is a good fix.  And as you can see I am using my keyboard on my T135-S1305 for writing this message and it works well!!!

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Thank you, Bill, for posting your effective workaround for the broken clip problem.  Although the earlier posts in this thread were nearly 4 years old, your solution may very well help others currently having that problem.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit
boriken

Indeed it has, thank you, I'll try tomorrow.

Juntoboys

Thanks for advice, Bill.  I followed what I thought were your instructions. The blister pack plastic is on top of the ribbon cable and they both fit snug in the connector space.  I used scotch tape over the top.  Not one key is working.  Could I be lined up wrong or is the blister plastic interfering with the connection?