ayria
Accepted Solution

Keyboard Not Working

I have a Satellite laptop model L505D-S5983 - the keyboard does not work. There are two or three keys (i, u) that will work...periodically. 

The touchpad is working. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling the keyboard driver, but the computer isn't recognizing my reboot - a pop up says I need to reboot (again). I've tried System Restore, but the computer isn't recognizing the restore points.

My antivirus isn't showing any issues. Is there anything else I can try before attempting to reinstall windows? (Windows 7, 32bit)

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Keyboard Not Working

Satellite L505D-S5983 Specifications

Satellite L505D-S5983 Downloads

Was any liquid spilled on the keyboard prior to this problem developing?

Have you tried starting in Safe Mode, does your keyboard work there?

If the keyboard is truly non-functional this won't work. But, try a system reset. Power off the laptop, unplug the AC from the unit, remove the battery, press and hold down the power button for 30 seconds, replace the battery and AC, power on, when you see the Toshiba logo, press the 'F2' key to enter the BIOS Setup, in setup press 'F9' to load setup defaults, press 'F10' to save and exit, and then to boot into Windows.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck

Mike

ayria

Thanks for the reply.

No, no liquids spilled. Keyboard isn't working in safe mode either. I tried the system reset (removing power) a few times, but no go.

On a side note, I made recovery discs so I could do a system recovery, and it tells me my discs are invalid.  I can see that there are files on the discs.  I'd like to do a system recovery and see if it helps, but not sure if it will let me. At this point I'm using an external keyboard.

Has everything possible been exhausted, or am I to believe it is 100% a hardware problem?

Super Advisor
miker643

Well, if your '0' (zero) key works, try running the Toshiba Recovery Utility from the recovery partition, as directed on page 62 of your User's Guide.

If your '0' key doesn't work, hopefully your 'F8' key does, as you were able to get into 'Safe Mode'. Try this method of running the Toshiba Recovery:

Pressing the Zero Key While Powering on the Computer Does Not Start the Toshiba Recovery Wizard

If you can get the Recovery Wizard to start, return your unit to its factory default, out-of-the-box setup.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

ayria

[ Edited ]

Thank you for replying.

The only keyboard I'm able to use is an external one. Both the 0 (zero) button and F8 bring me to InsydeH20 Setup Utility (bios).
Under Advanced I don't see "Repair your computer". Then there's a seperate Boot 'tab', but its only to choose boot order.

I'm not seeing the option to 'Repair Your Computer'. :womansad:

Super Advisor
miker643

Try the '0' (zero) key again. You have to power off your unit, press and hold down the '0' key, power on, and keep holding down the '0' key until you see the Toshiba Recovery menu.

Mike

ayria

Powering on while pressing and holding 0 using laptop keyboard opens Insyde H20 Utility (BIOS).

I have to use the external keboard to use the arrow keys to move to 'exit and discard changes'.

Powering on while pressing and holding 0 using external keyboard opens Insyde H20 Utility (BIOS).

I discard using exit and discard changes.

In both instances, Toshiba Recovery Menu does not show. After closing BIOS, it starts up Windows.

Super Advisor
miker643

Well, if you made the set Toshiba Recovery disks/media, as directed on page 69 of your User's Guide, you could then run the Toshiba Recovery Utility from the recovery disks you made, as instructed on page 70.

If you never made a set of disks you should think about ordering them:

Ordering Recovery Media

If your system is still on warranty, almost guaranteed Toshiba Customer Service will want you to run the recovery utility first, before they will authorize a warranty repair. This is considered the gold standard test on whether you actually have a hardware problem or not.

If it's not on warranty and you want to try it yourself:

Satellite L505D Disassembly

V000180170 Keyboard

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

ayria

Once again, thank you for your assistance :smileyhappy:

I burned a second set of recovery discs, and was able to restore factory settings.

The keyboard still doesn't work. I guess this is a hardware issue.

Thanks for the links on how to install a keyboard...I'm not sure if I'll attempt this just yet, but at least I know exactly what to look for in the future.

Best Regards

Super Advisor
miker643

...The keyboard still doesn't work. I guess this is a hardware issue...

Yes, if the recovery didn't bring the keyboard back then it's definitely hardware. Sorry it didn't work out.

Anyway, you're very welcome, happy to help if possible.  Thanks for updating us.

Mike

thunderbolt

Here is the fix for the keyboard malfunction:  

1-  Turn off computer, disconnect the power cord, remove the battery.

2-  Press the Power On button for 10 seconds

3-  Replace battery and/or connect power cord.

4-  Turn On  computer + immediately press F2 key repeatedly

5-  Press F9 then press Enter

6-  Press F10 then press Enter

Your computer will now re-start Windows and the keyboard should now work.

Super Advisor
miker643

Thunderbolt, if looked at the whole thread, particularly the 2nd & 3rd posts, you'd see that this system reset was already tried.

Mike

AG1234

I'm having a major crisis with the keyboard on my Toshiba Satellite A210-JA3. It stopped working properly last night -- every time I typed an "i" it gave me a "ti". Then as the day progressed, the "t's" went crazy -- in every open window/field, it typed "t's" infinity. I've tried cleaning the keyboard, running a virus scan, and uninstalling it (there's no disable button). I've got a wireless option to use, but the "t's" won't stop (which means unless Im really crafty, I cant log in). I've followed the instructions above for a hard rested to no avail, and can't find / don't understand BIOS. Please help!

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite A210-JA3 - PSAELC-JA308C Specifications

Satellite A210-JA3 - PSAELC-JA308C Drivers, Bulletins, etc.

AG1234 wrote:

I'm having a major crisis with the keyboard on my Toshiba Satellite A210-JA3....I've followed the instructions above for a hard rested to no avail, and can't find / don't understand BIOS. Please help!

Yours is a Canadian model, and its specs and drivers page links appear above. I'd direct you back to the steps I listed on the 2nd post of this thread.

If you are unable to access the BIOS as per those directions, press and hold down the F2 key as you power your unit back on, this should get you back into the BIOS Setup, then follow the directions to reset the defaults, and save the settings.

You could take a look at the steps for individual key replacement, mainly to see how try to access the 't' key & see if you can un-stick this key, click on 'Read detailed instructions for this step'.

If this doesn't work you could try returning the unit to its factory default out-of-the-box set up, as per the System Recovery Options directions beginning on page 3-8 (Adobe Reader pg. 76) of your User's Manual.

If none of the above works, you'll need to replace your keyboard.

Satellite A210 laptop keyboard removal

Satellite A210 CA keyboard

Let us know how it turns out. Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Hey! Nice to see you back, Mike.:smileyvery-happy:

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Super Advisor
miker643

Thanks CB! :smileyhappy:  Been busy with teaching & travelling. Will try to be a little more regular in carrying my fair share of the load here.

Mike

Sunshine68

i have a toshiba laptop l505d-s6947 and the keyboard wont work after my computer starts to boot. it will work for about 10 seconds and then wont work at all after that to the point i cant even restore to factory defaults can anyone help?

balocus

hy,

my keyboard doesn`t work after automaticlly updated few drivers. i tried an external, but also doesn`t work. i use on-screen keybord. sat  p850-12z  win8 

thank you any help

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P850-12Z 

What happens when you do a System Restore to before the update?

Control Panel > Recovery > Open System Restore

-Jerry
OhSuzyQ

[ Edited ]

Will this solution work for the Satellite C55-A5100? 

I just bought this laptop 2 days ago. Today, I accidently opened 4 tabs (Firefox). Then, my keyboard stopped working. Being unfamiliar with Win8.1, this was extremely frustrating. User manuals for Win8.1 and laptop were not included.

I didn't know what to do so, I did a restart. After that, I was able to use the keyboard again. Once again, I was entering a number using the number key pad (num lock illuminated). Then, the keyboard stopped working - did another restart. Is this a hardware problem? A bug? Do I need to have it repaired?

So, once again I ask - will the steps below fix the problem for my laptop Toshiba Satellite C55-A5100? I'm referring to steps 1-6 as posted by Thunderbolt

Sue.