jmonroe33

Keyboard Not Working Properly

I have a C655 Satelite laptop computer and my keyboard is not functioning properly. I turned on my narrator to hear what keys are being recognized and the keyboard is really messed up. For instance, if I press "w" it will type 'wsa. If I press "j" it will say F2.

What I have tried: calling tech support - was suppose to get a call back so that they can access my laptop but no one called back in the 2-3 timeframe they said they would. It's been 45 minutes now.

Removing the keyboard and restarting the computer so that the keyboard will install itself again. - It installed but still is not functioning properly.

System Restore - did it twice and did not resolve the problem.

Right now the only way for me to type is to turn on my on screen keyboard. If anyone knows how to resolve this issue please let me know.

Peter

Re: Keyboard Not Working Properly

Please include your full model number when posting problems on the forums. It can be found on the bottom of your laptop. "C655" is only partial.

Try turning off your laptop and completely unplugging it. Turn it upside down while it's open and gently shake it to dislodge anything that might be under the keys.

If that hasn't fixed it, try booting into Safe Mode. Is the problem present there?

- Peter
bvillarreal

[ Edited ]

I have the same problem.. My toshiba Satallite C655-s5193

serial no. XXXXXXXXX

How can i fix this?  when I type a w it give me this "zq"  or this " \sw"  

If I press backspace -- nothing happens. I have to click on the letter I want to delete and use the delete button..

I am currently plug in an external keyboard.  Hope you all can help me resolve this problem. 

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Peter

Does the external keyboard behave normally?

Do you have this problem in Safe Mode as well?

- Peter
hng
hng

i have toshiba satellite c655-c5533.

some of the keys work most of them dont work &some press 2 things please help.

Peter

Try following the steps in this article.

What can I do if my keyboard is not functioning properly?

- Peter
dgleon1016

I have a Toshiba C655D-S5084 and the keyboard also doesnt work I have not tried an external keyboard yet but I would like the internal keyboard to work I tried your suggestion above but didn't work. Is there anything else that I could do.
Peter

Does it work before Windows loads at all? For example, can you press F2 to enter the setup or F12 to access the boot menu?

- Peter
dgleon1016

I have to press the keys repeatedly and it sometimes works and other times it doesn't and when I do manage to get into either menu the keyboard stops working. Also tried a different internal working keyboard from another toshiba and it also didn't work on this laptop it only turns on but can't press any keys. I'm left to believe that some how the connector on the actually Mboard went bad but if there is anything else that I could do to make it work I will do it.
Peter

Because the issue is presenting itself before Windows even loads, we know it's not a software issue.

Try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

If that doesn't fix it, I'd recommend having it serviced.

- Peter
aussiewinetours

I have a Satellite P500 and my keyboard also has never worked properly it will just miss letters and spaces but it is random never the same letters or any pattern just random was there a problem with this model

Peter

aussiewinetours, what's the full model number of your laptop?

- Peter
SLC_Raider

I am having similatr issues with a C655D-S5228 laptop (part # PSC0YU-02N002) that the touchpad and keyboard have both stopped working 1 day after the warranty expired. The keyboard works prior to Windows loading, but as soon as Windows loads nothing (note: both usb mouse and external keyboard will work). I have tried updating all drivers, a hard reset on the system board, and a complete restore back to factory setup. Nothing seems to work, any ideas?

Peter

Just to be clear, by restoring to factory setup, you do mean the procedure that completely wipes your data from the computer, either by holding '0' (zero) while booting or using the Toshiba recovery discs?

After doing that, the keyboard works in the BIOS before Windows loads, but the keyboard and touchpad do not work in Windows?

- Peter
tclem

I am having a similar problem with my Satelite C655D-S5130.  One month ago, I received a Toshiba notice that my hard drive was failing.  I was no longer under warranty so I hired a computer tech to replace the hard drive.  A few days after getting my computer back, I noticed that my "curser" seemed to jump around.  I would be typing and letters would then appear in another location.  I deactivated the trackpad thinking it was the sensitivity.  As the weeks have gone on, it has gotten much worse.  I can't type even a few sentences without it jumping to another location.  Suggestions that will work????

Peter

tclem, are you using an external mouse after deactivating the touchpad?

Does it ever jump around even if you're hands aren't even on the laptop at all?

Try reinstalling this driver.

Synaptics TouchPad Driver(v15.0.8.1; 02-14-2011; 31.13M)

- Peter