khersee
Accepted Solution

Keyboard Command

Anyone experience this? I like using keyboard commands (shortcuts like CTRL+C for copy, etc . . .), but one that I've always used was ALT+Spacebar to unleash the dropdown menu in the upper left corner of a browser window. Once I do that on this laptop, it freezes. I can access CTRL+ALT+DEL and bring up the taskbar to stop any processes I want, but it isn't helping when I've just written a 50-line post and accidentally perform that command (being a laptop, the keyboard isn't like that for a PC in dimension and it's flat vs angled, etc . . . ) and have to rewrite it. Any clues to this anomoly? Any help much apreciated. Thanks, Kirk

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Keyboard Command

Which Windows? Which computer?

What happens when no applications are running?

-Jerry
khersee

Vista 32-bit. Satellite L355-S7900, Pentium T3400. It has to happen when an app (any app) is running to perform the keyboard command mentioned. Otherwise, I wouldn't use the command. Thanks, Kirk.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L355-S7900 

It has to happen when an app (any app) is running to perform the keyboard command mentioned. Otherwise, I wouldn't use the command.

Does that mean Windows does not hang when no app is running? And also when they are minimized?

Or does it mean you've never tried it?

Of course you wouldn't use the command. But please answer the question.

-Jerry
khersee

Does that mean Windows does not hang when no app is running?

Correct as there is no need for the command at that time.

And also when they are minimized?

I have not tried this in a minimized window or when no app is running; this latter took me a moment to get my head around. I will try these scenarios in order to give you more information. Kirk

khersee

OK . . . in the minimized state, there is no problem with the function. When no app is running there also is no issue. Notably, when applied to the only use I find practical, and my laptop freezes, the function button will still work.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Does the same thing happen when you use the mouse to open the Control menu?

What about in child documents (MDI windows)? Does the same thing happen when you use Alt+Hyphen?       

-Jerry
khersee

Does the same thing happen when you use the mouse to open the Control menu?

No.

What about in child documents (MDI windows)?

I am not familiar with child docs or MDI windows.

Does the same thing happen when you use Alt+Hyphen?

Nothing happens with that.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Note the computer-clock time of a freeze.

1. See if the event turns up in Problem Reports and Solutions (wercon.exe). (Click View problem history.)

2. Open Event Viewer (eventvwr.msc), expand Windows Logs, and inspect the System and Application logs for an event at that exact time.

-Jerry
khersee

Event turned up in Problem Reports and Solutions with no solution. Stated "Stopped responding and was closed". Report sent.

The event viewer had some info detail that was a little greek to me. Attached. Thank you. Kirk

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Interesting that Internet Explorer (iexplore.exe) is entwined in the guts of Windows. Turns up all the time, whether running or not.

Try resetting it.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

-Jerry
khersee

Do you suppose there is a fix for other apps as well? As this is not localized to IE8.

khersee

OK . . . it (resetting IE) worked. No other apps seem to have this problem either anymore. I'm wondering if the use of the accelerators has anything to do with the freezing. I'm going to keep my eye on changes that I make in my browser and note when and if it happens again. Thanks so much for your patience and help. Kirk

khersee

Sooner than I would have thought, it seems that the Yahoo! toolbar causes this. I only am guessing as as soon as I enabled it I tried the keyboard command and IE froze. I disabled it and voila, it's fine. Just an FYI. Kirk

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

seems that the Yahoo! toolbar causes this.

Thank you for that information, Kirk!

Interesting that I don't see it turning up on the web yet.

-Jerry