Chesnick
Accepted Solution

Fn Key does nothing.

I received a Toshiba L455D-S5976 for Christmas. About a week later, the FN key, which had up till then let me adjust screen brightness and volume, stopped doing anything. Now when I press it a small green light comes on (so I know the key isn't broken) but I am unable to change volume or brightness settings. Even those "flash card" things no longer drop down, and they used to. To my knowledge I have made no changes to the machine or operating system.

I tried 'reset flash cards' from the TOSHIBA folder, but clicking that did nothing. I've performed several system updates, hoping I'd get lucky, but they still didn't fix it. I find it frustrating that this seems like a simple and probably common problem, and yet the Toshiba website offers NO information or solution regarding this issue. I've searched page after page, forum after forum, and can't find any helpful advice.

Once again: My FN key, on my keyboard, abruptly stopped working. What can I do?

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Fn Key does nothing.

[ Edited ]

As well as giving you full model number, which you did do, you should always give the operating system and version you are using, like Window 7 Home Premium 32bit, which is the version your model came with

Here's your models information/downloads page. Just click on the tabs for downloads, specs, user guide, etc:

L455D-S5976

Next, given that your function/flash cards will not work at all, and you have already tried resetting your flash cards to no avail, the next thing to try is reloading a couple of Toshiba utility programs.

First, reload the Toshiba Value Added Package (TVAP) for your model & operating system version, and reboot:

TVAP for Windows 7 (32)

TVAP for Windows 7 (64)

Next, reload the Flash Card Utility and reboot:

Toshiba Flash Cards Support Utility for Windows Vista/7 (32/64)

Then try the Function keys. If they work, great!

If the 'Flash Cards' don't appear at the top of the screen when you hit the 'Fn' key, then click the 'Start' button and type the word flash in the search field. In the programs that appear at the top, you should see 'Restart Flash Cards' and 'Settings for Flash Cards'. First, click on 'Restart Flash Cards', then again click on 'Start' and type in the word flash in the search field. This time click on 'Settings for Flash Cards', and make sure there is NOT a check mark on 'Disable all function keys', click 'Apply' and 'OK'.  Then try the Function keys/Flash cards again.

If none of this works, I presume the Function keys were working at one time. When about did they stop working? Did you install any Windows Updates or install any other software or drivers just before that may have created the problem?  You could look in System Restore, to see if you have a restore point to take you back to the time just before the Function keys stopped working.

What is System Restore?

Finally, I think there are, at least, a couple of related posts on this forum:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/Function-keys-not-working/td-p/167564

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/Satellite-M505-4975-Touchpad-deactivated-after-Crit...

Good luck Chesnick. Please let us know if it works.

Mike

Chesnick

That seems to have done the trick! Thank you so much for the pointers, Mike!

Super Advisor
miker643

Good to hear that you got it working and thanks for letting us know.

Mike

Core

Thanks a bunch mike, Jerry et al

The TVap thingy reaaly works but it will take you some time especially if you thought

it has anything to do with 'Flash cards'.....or card reader!

Thanks

guyhubbard

heretikos

Yeah that's just a quick fix.... It works for me, but I shouldn't have to reset my flashcards every freaking time I start my computer

scalisec

Mike, I have the same issue but I have a Satellite E105-S1402 and i tried to download and install value added pack and the drivers for FN. i go and manually reset them on the start menu, they work and then upon restart disapper. not sure why the FN won't work!!! PLEASE HELP

scalisec

and YES my FN keys were last working consistenly around OCT 1ST-4TH.... then after Geek Squad worked on my system they stopped working. They claim they did nothing but I find it strange and now my FN key will work when i reset it through the start menu but when i restart my pc they wont show.

ChristieThomas

Hi Mike
I have the same problem with my Toshiba Tecra A8185. Only problem is that i run Windows XP Professional and cannot find a value added package to download for XP. What would my next option be?
Thanks. Christie
Super Advisor
miker643

Hi Christie

Yours is a European model, so you need to look on Toshiba Europe's site for your drivers and utilities. This unit will be essentially identical to yours:

Tecra A8-185 PTA83E - Specifications

Tecra A8-185 PTA83E - Downloads

Also, the files needed are different for XP, than they are for Vista or Win7. These are the files you need. Download and install them in this order. They're zip files, so you'll have to extract the .exe files first, then double click on those to install.

Common Module

Hotkey Utilities for Display Devices

Wireless Hotkey

Also, you might want to read up on the use of the Function (Fn + Fx) key combinations in your model's user guide. This begins on Adobe Acrobat page number 92, your manual's listed page number is 5-2. Again, this is a zip file, so you'll have to download the file and extract the .pdf file to look at the manual.

Tecra A8 User's Guide

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

Satellite E105-S1402

Scalisec, you do not mention what OS version you are now using. Regardless, of whether you are still running the Vista 64bit edition your system came with, or you have upgraded to Win7, download and install this file:

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (64bit)(v1.2.33_64)

If your problem persists, lease let us know what OS version you are now running, like Vista 64bit, or?

Good luck.

Mike

scalisec

I have windows vista 64bit. i downloaded that and upon restart it doesnt show... it will if i restart the flash cards after restart but as soon as i restart they are gone again

Super Advisor
miker643

Let's try to reload your core drivers, and then your TVAP one more time and see if that helps. Download these files and double click on them to install them in this order:

Intel Chipset Software Installation Utility for Windows Vista (32/64bit) / XP(v8.7.0.1007)

Display Driver - Intel Vista 64bit (v15.9.5.64.1502)

Realtek Audio Driver (Vista 32/64bit)(v6.0.1.5689)

Toshiba Value Added Package for Windows Vista/7 (64)(v1.2.33_64)

If this doesn't work, you could try an older version of the TVAP.

Please let us know what happens. Good luck.

Mike

scalisec

Hi- should i tell the geek squad agent to look this over? they are working on my laptop right now.....

mistral

Hello, I have a problem with the Fn keys too.  The model of my laptop is A50 running on WinXP, home ed. 

The F10 or F11 keys lights on by itself as it likes.  Can't type with the other keys except those that act

as the numeric keypad.  I know F10 is for the 'arrow keys' and F11 is for the 'numerics'.

Tried Fn+F10 and Fn+F11 to disable it, but it doesn't work.  Even reformated and reinstall

WinXP thinking that it was a bug, but no luck.  Pls help.  Thanks. 

Super Advisor
miker643

scalisec wrote:

Hi- should i tell the geek squad agent to look this over? they are working on my laptop right now.....

Sure why not, will be difficult to follow the steps otherwise.

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

ChristieThomas wrote:
Hi Mike
I am struggling a bit loading the programs. I have downloaded the cmod file; the .exe files i have identified are _ISDEL, Gmi, GNS, and setup. When i try to run the GNS File i get this response : unable to ACPI Name Space! GNS.exe terminated. When i try to run the setup launcher: Setup is unable to find installation languages in C:\Documents and settings\Christie\My Documents\TOSHIBA SUPPORT\cmod-en-20071119093218\SETUP.LID file. The _ISDel and the Gmi files showed no response when i ran them (no confirmation that they ran), so i'm not sure if they did. I know you said to install the programs in the order you gave, so have not proceeded any further than this. Thanks for your help so far, but it seems you will have to hold my hand through the whole deal. Sorry. Christie

Chrisite

Let's back up a little bit. Tell us exactly what happened, in the order it happened, just prior to you developing this Fn (function) key problem. Specifically, was the system rebuilt, that is, did you or someone else reload Windows XP? If not, what else happened before the function keys stopped working?

Mike

Super Advisor
miker643

mistral wrote:

Hello, I have a problem with the Fn keys too.  The model of my laptop is A50 running on WinXP, home ed. 

Look on the bottom of your laptop at the Toshiba label, give us your specific model number like Satellite A55-S106, and your model's part number like PSA50U-0NE02E. We can't help you without this info. There are at lest 15 different A50 Toshiba USA models alone.

Mike

mistral

The model is Satellite A50 , part no. PSA50L-04R002

Thanks.