BassemS
Accepted Solution

FN key not working

[ Edited ]

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Satellite P750 PSAY3U-08901H

running Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit

The FN key on my keyaboard is not working.

I already did the following before this post.

* download and re-install the TVAP (from http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/modelContent.jsp?ct=SB&os=&category=&moid=302649...

* download and re-install the flash card (same link as above)

* make sure the flash card is enabled to run on startup in windows

* make sure the that the disable option in the flash card setting program is not checked

That's where I am at now.
1 - when I reboot and login to my win7, the program tcrdmain.exe is running in task manager.
2 - I enabled the option to "allow the mouse to bring up the cards..." so when I move the mouse to the top of the screen. I see the various function buttons and when I click on them they behave as expected

However, if I press on the keyboard the FN key with F1-F2-F3 ... nothing is happening. As if FN key is broken, but I know it's not since it was working about 2 hours ago.

to provide more context. The FN keyabord key was working 2 hours ago but I was having the echo mode, wireless, keybaord back-light ... control buttons malfunctioning so all that has been fixed since I re-isntalled the TVAP but it came at the expense of breaking the FN keyboard key....

Thanks for the support

BassemS

Re: FN key not working

ok got it working now.

so this is what I did.

1 - un-install the TVAP using control panel program un-installer

2 - reboot

3 - click on start

4 - in the search box type "toshiba application installer"

you should find one item and click on it

5 - than instal the TVAP from the toshiba application installer

reboot and voila it's working ...

Peter

Thanks for letting us know how you got it working!

- Peter
warner3687

I followed your steps 100% but still not working? Does anyone else have suggestions?

ManoEd

I have a Toshiba Satellite Pro: L450-EZ1510

After changing from Windows 7 Home Priemum to Windows 7 Ultimate My FN key is not working

I read all the forums about this problem and tried everything, I download the flash cards thing and still not working

Can you please help me cause I can't turn on my wireless !!

Peter

warner3687, what model is your computer? Do any of the function key combinations work? If so, which ones don't work?

ManoEd, do any of them work for you or is it only the wireless that's giving you trouble? You reinstalled the Toshiba Value Added Package, right?

- Peter
StanandDeb

I have a three month old Satellite P755-S5381. I powered it down Wednesday night. When I turned it back on Thursday afternoon, I had no keyboard backlighting, including the lighted strip across the top of the keyboard. I also determined that the Fn key was not working.

Today I followed BassemS steps 100%, and also reinstalled Eco Utility, for good measure (which I had uninstalled after purchase). I now have my keyboard backlighting working, as well as the lighted strip across the top, but the Fn key still does not work. Any more ideas?

Also, I thought there was something in the Control Panel about controlling the function of the keyboard backlighting feature? When I first bought this I thought I saw a way to choose having the keyboard backlit all of the time or just briefly lit when keys were struck?

Deb

StanandDeb

Also, I'm thinking of doing a System Restore, going back to that Wednesday night when all was peace and calm. Does anyone see any problems with this idea?

Deb

Peter

Try reinstalling TVAP from the following link:

Toshiba Value Added Package(v1.6.3.64; 08-05-2011; 178.37M)

Using System Restore is a relatively easy and safe procedure!

- Peter
StanandDeb

I was going to uninstall TVAP and then reinstall it using the link suggested by Peter above. After uninstalling TVAP and rebooting, I saw I still had my backlights so I just tried my Fn key, and...it works!

I don't know what's going on here, but I think I will leave things as they are now, and not reinstall TVAP, unless you think I should...

Deb

Peter

If it's working now, leave it! Computers are fickle sometimes. They can baffle the best of us.

- Peter
jacsd

Thank you!  Installed the VAP right away and my FN key was back to where it was an hour ago after restarting computer.

Murph56

I have a Satellite L775, that had the same problem.  The flash cards quit working. Followed the steps for the solution and it worked! Thanks.

Peter

I'm glad it's working!

- Peter
almostsane1

I am having the same problem.  Have a satellite L675 and the Fn + F1 - F9 do not work.  The4y used to but not anymore.  I have tried the TVAP re-install and the flash but nothing worked.  Any new suggesions?

Thanks

Peter

What's your full model number? There should be a second part to it. Check the label on the bottom. If there isn't a part afte "L675" give me the model-part number.

- Peter
almostsane1

it is a satellite L675-S7108..  The cards work but not the actual Fn keys.

Peter

almostsane1

the on screen Fn keys work.  it is the actual keyboard Fn + F1-F9 that do not work.  Tried the re-install too.

Thanks for the help

Peter

TVAP should control that as well, so I was hoping it would be fixed.

Try this. Turn off your laptop, unplug all wires, remove the battery, and hold the power button for thirty seconds. Afterwards, reattach the battery and connections.

If it still doesn't work, you may want to contact customer support at (800) 457-7777.

- Peter