TomB
Accepted Solution

External keyboard

How do I setup an external keyboard? I have a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5895.

Thank you, Tom

Frequent Advisor

Re: External keyboard

TomB wrote:

How do I setup an external keyboard? I have a Toshiba Satellite L305D-S5895.

Thank you, Tom

Stay with me, here, I'm not trying to be 'flip'.  There has to be more that you are asking than how to plug in an external keyboard to a USB port.  Or is there?

TomB

Hi Rick,

The reason that I want to attach the standard keyboard is that my wife likes the feel of it better. And I also see in my laptop doc it shows that is not a USB hookup, but another type of connector, tomorrow I'll stop at Milwaukee PC with the laptop, they probably have a cable that will do the trick! Just jumped the gun on this one

Thanks, Tom

Frequent Advisor

TomB wrote:

Hi Rick,

The reason that I want to attach the standard keyboard is that my wife likes the feel of it better. And I also see in my laptop doc it shows that is not a USB hookup, but another type of connector, tomorrow I'll stop at Milwaukee PC with the laptop, they probably have a cable that will do the trick! Just jumped the gun on this one

Thanks, Tom

OK, that clears it up a bit.  You have an old keyboard with a PS/2 or the even older AT connection, and want to connect it to the notebook's USB port.  There are adapters that may work, but it will depend on whether the old keyboard is able to communicate with the computer through the adapter.  Many aren't.  

What you're looking for is something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Adesso-Adapter-connects-connectors-ADP-PU21/dp/B00008ZPED

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/PS2-USB-Keyboard-Adapter-M/dp/B0009RKLMG/ref=pd_cp_e_3?pf_rd_p=413863501&pf_rd...

Make sure you take both the keyboard and notebook with you when you go shopping and make sure the adapter/keyboard works with your notebook.

If it doesn't, there are plenty of USB keyboards out there that may meet your needs.

Hope this helps.

TomB

Thanks again Rick,

I will bring the laptop and the keyboard with me, it is a very old IBM keyboard!