florizz84

Customize FN keys Windows 8

I have a Toshiba Satelite L855 with Windows 8 and I can't find out how to customize the FN keys. In particular: I use F5 all the time and I can't figure out why I would ever want to turn off the mousepad, so I would like to change this key into always just being F5. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Customize FN keys Windows 8

You can reverse that situation for all the Fx keys.

Function key changes in Satellite 800 series

When you post here in the future, please give the full model name of your computer. See the label on the bottom.

-Jerry
MYRD

[ Edited ]

I have this problem too, so I am posting here as well. I have a Satellite L855-S5372 which came with Windows 8.

I have tried looking here:

http://www.csd.toshiba.com/cgi-bin/tais/support/jsp/bulletin.jsp?ref=EV&soid=3431945&ct=SB

and it doesn't say anything. The F keys do not work as specified in the bulletin.

I tried HWSetup, but it does not give the option for the Function key.

http://i.imgur.com/vkCQr.png

I cannot get into the BIOS from startup either. I have tried pressing numerous buttons on startup, but it does not take me there.

My HWSetup wasn't the correct version, nevermind.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L855-S5372

I cannot get into the BIOS from startup either. I have tried pressing numerous buttons on startup, but it does not take me there.

It's because Windows 8 does not do a complete shutdown in most cases. Press the Shift key when you click Shutdown and it will shut down completely.

After that, F2 on power up should open the BIOS settings.

-Jerry
mshazes1

There are files for Toshiba under the folder Program Files\Toshiba.

Look for the System Setup file.  You can make a shortcut on the desktop.

Run the System Setup and you can change from Standard function to default very easily.

I don't know why they make it so hard. The HWSETUP I downloaded is missing this feature.

rodneypmiller

I have a Satellite S55-A5295 and I cannot find any way to change my function keys.  There does not seem to be a bios change that will fix it.  I have looked for a set up method... I am at a loss.  I am very irritated at having to push the extra key to use my function keys.  I would appreciate any help.  thanks.

rodneypmiller

Oh... at last... figured it out thanks to the last post that I re-read after writing my request.  Thanks.

BigJake

In my Windows 8.1 installation on a Satellite S55-A5294 laptop, the "System Setup" file is named TosDesktopAssist.exe and is located in C:\Program Files\TOSHIBA\TOSHIBA Desktop Assist.  When you run the program, select Tools & Utilities from the left menu.  Along the top, four buttons will appear.  One is titled Function Key and has a little Fn icon on it.  Oddly enough, this is not the button you want to press.  The functionality it offers hasn't anything to do with the issue of this thread.  Instead click the System Settings button.  Then select Keyboard from the left menu.  Change the setting in the drop-down list from "Special function mode" to "Standard F1-F12 mode".  Click Apply.  It will tell you that you need to reboot in order for the change to take effect.