BK44

Cursor missing

I have a Sattelite L875D-S7332 and the cursor appears on the log on screen but when the windows 8 screen appears the cursor just disappears.  Is there a solution to this?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Cursor missing

Satellite L875D-S7332

What happens when you boot clean?

1. Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe). You can do that by typing msconfig at the Start screen and pressing Enter.
   2. On the Services tab, set the Hide all Microsoft services check box and then click Disable all.
   3. On the Startup tab, click Open Task Manager, right-click and disable each Startup item. Then close Task Manager.
   4. Back on the System Configuration screen, click OK, and restart the computer.

-Jerry
BK44

I can't even get to the start screen.  System comes up with picture and when I click on the bars in the bottom left corner my login screen appears and I have a cursor.  After entering my login and pressing enter  then I get the windows tiles. This is where the cursor disappears so I can not get to the upper right corner to get to the start screen.  Hope this makes sense as I have only had this computer for a little while and know very little about windows 8. 

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

There should be a Power icon on the logon screen. Click that and then while holding down Shift, click Restart.

That should bring you to the recovery environment (Choose an option) menu. Start in Safe Mode this way.

Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart > Startup Settings menu (select #4)

With some luck, the mouse will work now.

With a little more luck, you'll also be able to use it after booting clean as explained in my previous message.

If that's the case, the problem now is to identify the installation that blocks the cursor. Make a list of everything you've installed or upgraded and we'll look it over.

If that's not the case, we'll need to talk about rescuing important files.

-Jerry
shep230

Hi Jerry,

I have the same problem as the original poster. I have a Satellite C855-S5350 running Win 8 Pro. The cursor shows up on the lock screen, but once the Win 8 screen appears, the cursor disappears. It must be the touchpad as I have no problem with an external mouse.

I first experienced this a few days ago. I rebooted the machine and the cursor came back.

This evening it's gone again and a reboot did not solve the problem.

I followed the steps you listed above for doing a clean reboot - but it still did not come back.

The only programs I've installed are Office and a Schwab program.

I've only had this machine for three weeks so I'm thinking of returning it. Any other ideas?

Thanks,

Shep

shep230

UPDATE

I uninstalled the Synaptics Touchpad from Device Manager and rebooted and it is working for now.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C855-S5350

Downloads here.

I uninstalled the Synaptics Touchpad from Device Manager and rebooted and it is working for now.

That's interesting. What happens when you reinstall this version?

Synaptics TouchPad Driver

-Jerry