DeionWilson
Accepted Solution

Cursor jumps while typing

My Toshiba L675D-S7060 has a habit of the cursor jumping around within documents seemingly at random. Am I doing something to make it do so? If so, how can I make it stop?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Cursor jumps while typing

You are unknowingly touching or brushing against the Touchpad while you are typing..  Either be more careful not to do that or disable the Touchpad and use an external mouse (which is what I do).

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L675D-S7060

Usually, it helps to turn off tapping.

Mouse pointer jumps around as you type

-Jerry
Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Jerry makes a good point.  Why don't you just turn off tapping first and see if that solves your problem. Go to Control Panel/Mouse/Device Settings/Settings and click "Tapping" in the left pane and uncheck the box that says "Enable Tapping".

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
aburckman

I don't think this solution is accurate. After reading it , I've focused on typing only with my fingertips and not touching the touchpad at all and not resting my palms at all.  This is the second Toshiba (netbook and laptop) I've had and both were a total waste of money.  I can't even type a single sentence...much less a paragraph without the cursor jumping everywhere. I think it is a problem overall with the Toshiba that they are unwilling to fix or admit.

khirsch2

I agree with you on this.  It is a problem that happens continually, with no apparent rhyme or reason, and it is clearly unrelated to brushing up against the touch pad.  That is what I thought at first.  I have very carefully tested that theory and it does not hold merit.  I had a Toshiba laptop that had the same problem, before it broke for another reason (the metal that holds the charger in place broke off inside, and it was going to cost $250 to fix, but the laptop wasn't worth it). 

Anyway, this Toshiba I am typing on now was recently loaned to me by my aunt, who was ready to throw it out the window.  I have to continually reposition the cursor, as it jumps around and I find the words I'm typing appearing in random parts of the text I've already typed.  Soon, I may throw this out the window, but not before I continue to tell friends and family never to buy a Toshiba.  I would be ecstatic if Toshiba actually offered me a real solution to this obvious flaw.

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

aburkman and khirsh2, both of you appear to be critisizing the proposed solution without even trying it first. At least, neither of you have clearly stated that you've actually tried this procedure, and are still experiencing the problem, after trying it. As well, even if the 'disable tapping' doesn't resolve your problem, it may be because you have allowed Windows Update to, or have otherwise inadvertently loaded touchpad drivers not supplied by Toshiba.

This is a place to try to resolve your problems. If you're not willing to try solutions that have been proven to work for the problems you're describing, why bother to post here in the first place?

Mike

Phil-P

Hello

I have read thru this post and followed all instructions.

I am unable to get any reaction from the FN key or holding the FN key down and pressing the F9 key.

I would like to shut off tapping and if that doesn’t work then shut off the touch pad all together.

I have looked in “programs and features” and didn’t find any drivers related to the touch pad at all.

Any one have any idea what to do next?

Phil-P

Phil-P

I forgot my computer is a Sateilite L55D-S705

Phil

Phil-P

I will get it correct yet L555D-S705

Phil-P

Hello again

I got it working found the fix for the FN key in another post.

Just to let you know turning the touch pad off did fix the “jumping” cursor problem on this computer.

Phil

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Thanks, Phil, for letting us know it works for you.  Good luck from now on with your computer.

C.B.

feisty1

I have a Satellite C650D.  This computer is driving me crazy.  It jumps randomly as noted in other posts.  I had wondered if somehow I was touching the elan mouse pad.  However, as the other posts noted, when I specifically worked to keep my hands away from the pad it still jumped.  But, since it was a recommended option I tried turning off tapping.  Didn't change anything.  I then turned off the elan entirely.  Since I use a wireless mouse this was no big deal.  Just typed twice and with the elan disabled it still jumped on me.

So don't be so harsh to those who criticized the fix - since it isn't a fix.  I desperately need a real fix for this.  Don't want to have to go out and get a separate keyboard for this computer.  Kinda negates the laptop concept.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

Are you absolutely certain the TouchPad is turned off?  If so, the only other thing I can think of to try short of a full recovery to out-of-box, is to reinstall the keyboard driver.  You do that by going to Device Manager, double click on Keyboards, right click on the internal keyboard, click Uninstall, restart the computer.  The keyboard driver will be automatically reinstalled.

If you post back to this forum again, please include the COMPLETE data about your computer as in mine below.

EDIT: I did think of something else if the above doesn't work.  Do a System Reset.

Turn off computer. Remove all attachments and battery. Press and hold the Power button for 15 seconds.  Attach Power and insert battery.  Start computer and tap F2 at the Toshiba splash screen to get in BIOS.  Press F9 to setup system defaults. Answer Yes. Press F10 to Save Configuration Changes and Exit.  Answer Yes to complete the process.  The computer will restart.

C.B.

dcurtis53

Until you all find a good 'technical' solution, use the crude method that works for me. Take a business card and scotchtape it over the mousepad, thereby shielding it from your accidental thumb brushes. It works for me.

mikef1234

I have a C655D and have the same problem and have disabled tapping. It still jumps around! However by disabling it I do not believe it disables as occasionally I can accidentally tap still..highlight..Etc. The only thing I have not tried yet is an external mouse. I agree I believe it is a Toshiba problem...Backing up when it has responded to tapping with tapping shut-off I have verified the thing is shut off....Hopefully a fix will come along as I still love my laptop regardless!!!!!

drmary

[ Edited ]

I bought a Satellite R945-P440 and was getting very aggravated by the jumping cursor. Sometimes it was causing significant parts of text to highlight and, if I didn't notice it in time, be deleted by my next keystroke. When working in an environment without an "undo" button, this was interfering with my work.

I tried disabling the tapping and found that I could also reduce the sensitivity of the touchpad to very low. I use a wired mouse. I think the problem is solved! (I will need to use it a bit more to be sure.) I appreciate the tip.

That being said, I pose the question to Toshiba as to why they don't simply correct the problem or give prominent instructions about how to make this adjustment. I can't imagine that there really are people out there that want their cursor to jump around or who need a touchpad that is set to be that sensitive by default.

mikef1234

The question I have is it actually a problem Toshiba can solve or is it something from elan the people who make the touch pad part? Maybe a flaw in the driver for the touch pad but I do agree Toshiba ultimately has a problem with their laptops and should try and find a fix. I thought by chaging the ease of access controls for the touch pad would help in did for a very very short period of time. I have the Satellite C655D-S5511 which I purchased in June as an early birthday present for myself. I just put up with it for now. One thing I have found out if you leave the arrow way ahead of the cursor it will not jump to another part of the text but sometimes will scroll the document up...still a real aggravation.

weylm

A few weeks ago, I innocently bought a Toshiba Satellite U945-S4390 Ultrabook, after checking the reviews about ultrabooks and noticing the U930 on first place. I am experiencing the same issue with the cursor jumping randomly around. I can't understand the recommendation to disable the touchpad; then what's the point of getting a portable device you cannot use at airports during layovers? To lift your wrists in the air while typing? Where are the ergonomics? I should have come to this forum before buying, I wouldn't be regreting my decision.

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

[ Edited ]

There are lots of things to do short of turning the TouchPad off. If you go to Control Panel, Mouse, Device Settings, Settings, you will find many possible adjustments including just turning off tapping or minimizing the sensitivity of the TouchPad, including PalmCheck and Touch Sensitivity. Why don't you try some of these and see if they help.

C.B.