Heatherg23
Accepted Solution

Cursor Pointer not moving via KeyPad

All of a sudden my touchpad isn't working. My cursor won't move using it. Even the 2 buttons on it won't work either. I don't have a button that  turns it on and off like my last computer so I have no idea why it did this all of a sudden.

Any ideas on how to get it to work again? I had to dig out my mouse which works thank goodness.

Thanks!

Heather

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

Re: Cursor Pointer not moving via KeyPad

[ Edited ]

Which computer and operating system?  See my examples below. If you're using Windows 7, try turning the pad on with FN+F9.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
candi0665

I am having the same problem! I am using Windows 8... any suggestions? I plugged in an external trackpad which is working. The cursor/trackpad on the laptop works during booting process and only quits working when I click to open a program from the desktop. Strange...

KylieW888

I was having this same issue on a Windows 8 Toshiba Satellite laptop. I noticed that the F5 key had a picture of a touchpad and a touchpad with a slash through it. I had accidentally pressed that! It turns off your touchpad. I pressed it again and it was working again.

jvenburgh

Worked for me! Thank you! Idk what the deal was, my touchpad wouldn't work cursor wouldn't move and buttons wouldn't click. They would work when I was logging in until I started to do something like use the Internet. I pressed f5 and it worked again.
pdaddy

This does not work for me....neither to F5 key nor the combination of the fn and F5 key gets the cursor moving, when it shows up at all. I have a Satellite P75-A7200. Any other suggestions?

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

If you have an external mouse plugged in, go to Control Panel > Mouse > Device Settings.  Uncheck the box by "Disable Internal pointing device when an external device is plugged in" if you have that setting.  Then try your F5 or FN+F5 again if necessary. If that doesn't do the trick, go to Device Manager and tell us which TouchPad you have.  It will be a Synaptics, ELAN or ALPS.  I will then give you a link to the driver to reinstall.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. C75D-B7260 Win 8.1 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 7 SP1 64 Bit
NatalieMccaughrin

:smileyfrustrated:uh -- i HAD to use an emoticon because otherwise I couldn't move into this box to tell you that I didn't realize I would have to go out and buy an external mouse to fix this issue.   I have a satellite toshiba and i cannot get the darn mouse to move.   Now what?

aknabih

lol funny part is same thing with my mouse, i had to buy an external one, and also my laptop comes with a by default weak wifi chip, and toshiba's answer was to go and buy a new chip... ok thanks toshiba next time i buy a laptop it wont be from you guys since i literally have to pay for your mistakes 

NatalieMccaughrin wrote:

:smileyfrustrated:uh -- i HAD to use an emoticon because otherwise I couldn't move into this box to tell you that I didn't realize I would have to go out and buy an external mouse to fix this issue.   I have a satellite toshiba and i cannot get the darn mouse to move.   Now what?