Jyrroe
Accepted Solution

Can't left click mouse while keyboard key is pressed

I have a Toshiba Satellite L850D PSKGEC-00J007 Notebook laptop, running Windows 8.1.

I'm having a problem where I can't left click (either with the touchpad or a USB mouse) while holding down any keyboard key other than Ctrl or Shift. In other words, Ctrl+Left Click works, Shift+Left Click works, and holding any key and *right* clicking works, but while holding down any other key on the keyboard, left-clicking does not work.

Also, for about 1 second after releasing the key, left clicking still does not work. This is most obvious while playing a game, since I can't hold down a key to move and click the mouse to attack at the same time, since (again) left clicking doesn't work while holding down a key.

This feels like some kind of setting that's intended to prevent accidental clicking while typing, but I haven't been able to find anything under Control Panel to disable that option. I've never noticed this issue before, I believe it may have started after updating from Windows 8 to Windows 8.1. Is there anything I can do about this?

Jyrroe

Re: Can't left click mouse while keyboard key is pressed

[ Edited ]

Issue solved!

This actually is a setting, which is located here (Windows 8.1):

PC Settings > PC and Devices > Mouse and Touchpad > Touchpad

There is an option that reads: "To help prevent the cursor from accidentally moving while you type, change the delay before clicks work."

Change this setting to "No delay (always on)".

Hope someone else finds this helpful.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Thanks for locating that. It's a "feature" of Windows 8.1.

Button clicks for internal touchpads and pointing sticks are not responsive while or shortly after t...

Windows 8.1 introduces a feature that is called accidental activation prevention (AAP). AAP helps ensure that unintended taps while you type on an integrated touchpad are suppressed. When this feature is enabled, taps and clicks from an integrated touchpad or pointing stick are suppressed for a while after the last keystroke..

-Jerry
Ahura999

I have this issue as well on my satellite s55t-a5237. However, when i choose the "no delay" option, all it does is have a shorter delay than the rest of the other options. It states that the "touchpad remains constantly on" but it's not. There still seems to be a delayed response. (ive restarted my pc as well) By the way i'm running win 8.1.

Ahura999

I figured out the issue. In synaptics, theres an option called "smart sense" which you need to disable to receive no delay. To do this, go to personalize-> mouse pointers-> then click the last tab saying "device settings" and it should be there. Thanks, and good luck

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good find!

See Joe's message too.

-Jerry