incandle

Re: Brand new P755 - Keyboard doesn't work

[ Edited ]

Hi toshiba.

I bought satellite p755-s5274 on amazon one month ago, and it works fine except the keyboard go mad these days.the issue is it swift the caps unexceptedly,for example,as i hit the key 1 ,it gave the key !,as i hit the key f,and it gave the F,but the light of caps lock is in dark.After googling,i found a work-around,to power off the laptop and remove the battery,and hole on the power button for more than 10 minutes.But it issue comes to me occationally too.Would you please help me out.Great appeciated. 

Bugngoo

I posted in another thread but this one seems to be getting more attention...

I just bought this same computer two days ago and I am having the same problem I am reluctant to return it because it is my 2nd new computer in a week because the first one I got (different laptop altogether) had very disturbing inherent problems so I am hoping there is a solution to this...

Marvin7

[ Edited ]

My parents' Best Buy P775-S2715 is the same way as most people on the first page.  You have to hit the keys pretty solidly to get a registered keystroke, otherwise nothing happens.  I press the corners of many keys over and over and no key will register, but if I press the corner hard enough that even the middle of the key is forced down, then you get a keystroke.  The FN sequence does not help so it is a hardware issue probably.  I went to Best Buy and tried their store model and the version with the smaller screen as well.  BOTH had the same problem (so did a Sony VAIO that my friend had bought, so this issue is creeping into the industry, not just Toshiba.  My friend sent his back and had the most incredibly hard time...I think he estimated ~30 hours on the phone over the course of 3 months before the VP of customer services agreed to give him his money back, which still didn't make my friend happy because he lost all that time and still has to find another laptop, but I digress).  While I was at Best Buy I warned one shopping couple that was really eyeballing the P775, though all I said was "open up wordpad and try it for yourself"...I didn't push it.  The woman thanked me while pointing out that shes a fast typer and needs a keyboard that can keep up. 

It does appear to be a hardware issue, but exchanging won't work since many others also have the problem.  It's a shame so many will get suckered into getting a  laptop with this problem and not fully realise it until they've had it a week or two (I've never owned a laptop myself so I thought I just needed to get used to the keys).  Nevertheless, it seems to be a very impressive laptop in just about every other way.  If I was going to send it in for fixing it would sure make me feel better if at least one person would report that doing so solved the issue...I doubt that's happening though. 

Also, this thread should be changed to "Keyboard doesn't work well".

Regular Contributor
KISS

Exchanging it will likely work, but be prepared for a long process.  It took me 4 months and three tries to get a good keyboard.

Use Notepad to check the keys on every edge.

Send a photo of you pushing the key to actually show where it's defective.  They don't know what front edge, right edge means.

The backlit keyboards (not sure if your motherboard accepts it) SEEM to work better.

In my case, i think the track click buttons have no hope.

FWIW: I'm having issues with Firefox and some other browsers where PDF files opened within a browser advance on the release of the spacebar, not press.  It's browser dependent

pcdj64

Re: Brand new P775 - Keyboard doesn't work

It is not a defective keyboard, they ALL do it, just a flaw in the design with these raised keys.

i have to press dead center on mine and also had to on the store's display model.

squidmaster

Well, this news is quite disappointing.  I adore my laptop with the exception of its spacebar now refusing to work on the left side.  I bought it six months ago, so I was concerned whether it was wear, but?  From normal use over only six months is absurd even if that's the case.  I type using the right side of the spacebar, but I need the left for hitting keyboard shortcuts while I draw.

I tested it in other programs as well, and it still (predictably) doesn't work.

Haven't had any problem with the other keys yet.

Justinzhang

I am sad to see simliar problem on my side too, just now it drove my wife crazy and blame me to buy another junk laptop. The problem is that after typing for a while, the keyboad stops responding to typing in the text area, and actually start the act unrationally, for example, press some key suddently launch an app, or open a new window of the browser, etc. What I have to do is that I have to go to Start-->Switch User, type my password and re-login, then everything starts to work fine again.... but don't know how long

I think (and I hope) this shoud be a software issue, ---God bless me it is the case, not because of some bad hardware....

Regular Contributor
KISS

Oh no!  I hope not. 

I may actually be having the same sort of issues with an A6645.   It seems to be particularly annoying when composing mail in Yahoo mail.

What seems to be happening is it appears that my control key "sticks" for one character.  Preliminary observations are:

1) It happens on the 1st position of a TEXT box.  One night I tried Firefox, IE, Chrome and Safari.  In all but Safari the problem could be duplicated and duplicated repeatedly.  It went away when the laptop was rebooted.

2) So, an Shift+R was interpreted as a Control+R and a SHIFT+b was interpreted as a CONTROL B only ONCE!

Preliminary results suggests that hitting Shift and Shift+R when i want an R in the first colum is a work-around.  I have not tried to move to the other shift key.

Now, there was a report of a similar issue here:  http://answers.google.com/answers/threadview?id=729744

I'm still not sure what's happening at this point.

Take what I said as a grain of salt.  Just not sure what to make of it?

Trishjar

I have a new (2011 Christmas present) satellite L745 which the key board suddenly changes from fully operational to no characters being typed and random windows opening.   Also, As I type this the size of the text keeps changing.  I canuse the ctrl -/+ to change the font size  but then it happens again on another message.  Anyone know about these problems?  

mczim

I am having exactly the same problems with some keys being very hard to hit and then the keyboard going crazy and causing all sorts of windows to open, while preventing all typing. What is Toshiba saying?  I bought mine from Best Buy too in late December so too late for a return.  What happens if you send it back to Toshiba?  You just get another just like this?  Well, I'm in bed post-knee surgery so I'll try calling in...  Would love to have whatever updated info you all have received.

Regular Contributor
KISS

Hey guys.  Help me out here with the randomness.  

Some specifics for me.  An A665 model.  I use Yahoo mail a lot.  I also use Firefox.  Yahoo mail has issues where it will loose your email if it decides it's now time for you to get a pop-up add and a password.  If this happens bye bye composed message.  Some parts of it could bein DRAFTS.

20/20 forsight then says to do a Copy All just prior to hitting send.  So recovery is less painfull.

At this point, control keys are sometimes interpreted for shift.  So a Shift-R turns into a control R.  Oops.  This

seems to occurr randomly.

Now for some more troubleshooting. There is some noise about a possible WIndows issue.

Some unverified but suspected goings on: Firefox as a browser

1. Yahoo figures promenantly, but it has occured on other websites.

2) It typically happens in the first column of a TEXT box, but doesn't always.

3) Other control combinations have occurred (Firefox data only)

4) There is a randomness where the creen magnification jumps suddenly. (Firefox data only)

5) Limited info, but it's possible it's only the left-shift key (Firefox data only)

6) One time when the system was acting badly, Chrome, IE and Firefox were affected.  SAFARI has NOT been affected to the best of my knowledge. 

7) Using Electrical contact cleaner on the control/shift key had NO effect.

8) I BELIEVE it happens in Firefox safe mode.

9) Firefox changed it's behavior on how it's handled the space key and Acrobat.  Acrobat advances pages on release now.  Is that part of the problem.

10) The problem MAY go away with a re-boot.

11) I don;t remember if it has happened in gmail.

None of this makes a lot of sense.  The behavior seems to rule out a hardware problem, but does not entirely.  On the surface it appears to be a hardware problem.

1) Affects the left shift key only.

As far as I can tell, it hasn't  happened in Safari which seems to rule out a hardware problem or there is not enough data.

Plan for now, is to try to remember to compose Yahoo mail in the Safari browser.

I'm asking anybody to substantiate or refute any of my claims.  I can't duplicate it on the fly. I can't make it happen.  I have a KB that I could pop in place if I had to.

Thanks for any assistance.

pcdj64

P775 S7320 Laptop.

Just bought 2 more identical laptops as mine for 2 friends and both have keyboard issues, you have to hit the keys dead center or chances are it will not work, you read what you typed and see letters missing or spaces etc.

I am seriously considering selling my laptop for a different brand just to be away from this crappy keyboard!

Up until this point I was strictly a Toshiba guy, unless they offer an improved keyboard at no cost to make it less frustrating to work with I will have no choice but to look elsewhere for a new laptop with same features.

Regular Contributor
KISS

[ Edited ]

The ultimate test is to use Notepad and strike the keys on all of the edges and the center,  Notepad revealed a 100% failure rate on the edge.  Center presses will yeild about a 1% failure rate.  The spacebar seems to be the most afftected, but it does affect other keys.  Warning, Tosbiba Depot repair, doesn't know what an edge of a key is,  It's the transition from the horizontal and vertical dimension.

For a single key, that means 5 presses.  The shift key would require 9.  The space bar to thouroughly test it requires at least 27 different finger positions and multiple taps each.  For Toshiba repair to find it requires a pic of a finger pressing the errant portion of the key.

I need a 4th keyboard after a little over a year.  If you count the time the laptop has been in transit (4.5 months+), it is less than a year.  I'm now told that the avilability is 2 months from now.  I'd rather replace it myself than exercise the other warranty I have since the replacement takes 10 minutes tops.  The failure mode I am having now, is that the left-shift key might produce a control character.  I  can replace the KB with a non-backlit one I have as a spare.

pcdj1964

I started a thread about the P775 keyboard and I got banned from this site for saying that Toshiba is aware of the issue and does nothing to resolve it, I took another path to get into the forums so here I am Toshiba.

You will not find a Toshiba chicklet style keyboard on a satellite or qosmio that works the way it is supposed to.

There are no permanent fixes and if You send it in to Toshiba they will replace the keyboard BUT with the same style and with the same issues, I know for a fact they are all a problem,if You don't hit the keys dead center You get nothing.

Save time and aggravation and just don't buy a Toshiba. If You got it from best buy You have 14 days to return it, I suggest You do before the time is up, I wish I did, now I have a $900 piece of junk that I have to plug a USB keyboard into to make it work properly.

I was always a Toshiba guy, I didn't want any other brand laptop but now I will take anything BUT a Toshiba.

Expensive lesson learned, tell everyone You know to stay far away from Toshiba until they acknowledge the issue and fix it.

A while back Toshiba had an M30X and M35X laptop that had issues with the power jacks coming off the boards, it took them a while but they finally extended the warranty an extra year so people could get the issue fixed, I have an M30X from back in the day and it still runs great.

I hope they decide to work on the issue with these keyboards and design a replacement that will fit.

Regular Contributor
KISS

[ Edited ]

I recently reported, anonymously via a phone call, the A665 KB defect directly to the OEM  (original equipment Manufacturer) of the keyboard.  I didn't think to give name and contact info.

I am having another very intermittant keyboard issue, but I cannot determine whose responsible.  Is it Windows, the browser or the keyboard.  I doubt it's the keyboard because it was replaced. In fact, I had it while typing this message.  I have a BT KB that might work and I have a Macintosh ADB KB with a USb adapter that I could use.

There is one character that is particulary detrimental.  That is a capital R using the left-shift key.    Other capital letters occaisionally get interpreted as a control, but only a control R causes a refresh and thus you loose your email or post.

I have suspicions that it does not happen with Safari, but can't confirm.  It has happened with IE, Firefox and Chrome.

I cannot duplicate it at will.

gfgillespie

I have a 4 month old P775-S7320 and the Left Control Key and Caps Lock keys do not work.  Toshiba is going to replace it under warranty by depot maintenance but all of these post make me wonder if I am better off keeping it and working around the problem.  this may be my last Toshiba--life is too short to be replacing defective keybards when Toshiba must know they have a problem with the P775 keyboards.

rsbnh

I have a new p755-S5120.  The space bar is flakey too!  I think Toshiba may have a QC issue.  I will try it for a few more days before returning it to Bestbuy.

rcbuckwalter

I have a L555 and i regularly have keyboard issues. I routinely have to hit the back space key to correct missed letters even though i've already hit the correct keys. It's very frustrating because it really slows down my typing time. I've this laptop close to two years. It didn't happen at first, but seems to be getting worse. Any suggestions on how to correct it? Thanks

rsbnh

With reference to the P755-S5120, the space bar does not consistently  register keystrokes.  The right side of the space bar can be depressed making a clicking sound but the key stroke does not always register.  I exchanged the laptop at Bestbuy for another one.  The second laptop was worse.  This issue is unfortunate.  Overall it is a nice computer, but not for touch typist.  I am now looking for another computer that has a reliable keyboard. 

Is there a way to remove my computer registration at this site?

f3red

[ Edited ]

Well, here is my log on the fire - hopefully it will help get Toshiba's attention.

I bought this (P775-S7320, a Best Buy exclusive) early this year to replace an HP machine that was generally satisfactory, but just a bit slow and small (mem and HD) for what I do. I have had this keyboard problem since day 1. A lot.

But, you know, at first you just think it just getting used to a new computer, and after a while - since I am not a highly skilled typist - I just revise to catch all the machine errors along with my errors. For me, it is mostly the "a" key. And I was thinking maybe I am not hitting it hard enough. I hit that key with my little finger and maybe it really isn't strong enough?

Nah! This computer+keyboard is malfunctioning, no question. It happens all day, every day. But not every keystroke. Erratic behavior is unacceptable in a computer, and should have been designed out in the first place. IMHO.

I may be able to spare some time to send it back for warranty service next month, but I would like someone from Toshiba - preferably "Jim, the Administrator" - to give me a reference I can use when calling tech support at 800-457-7777 for diagnosis and R&R. Please give me an incident number, a tech order number - whatever you call it at Toshiba for identified problems and their solutions - so my computer can be fixed right the first time.

To all my fellow sufferer, I feel your pain!

f3