Mercy

Backlit Keyboard will not turn off, even using Fn-Z key: Satellite A665

[ Edited ]

Just got my Satellite A665 2 days ago, and I've already run into a problem. I'm pretty proficient with computers, but can't figure this one out. When I first got the computer, it worked just fine. The backlit keyboard would go off when i wasn't typing. I had invokedthe Eco Mode, and I believe this is why the backlighting turned off when not being used.

Now I cannot get the backlighting to turn off at all, not even when invoking the FN-Z key which brings up the option to turn off backlighting. This keeps me from being able to use the ECO mode, for it will not engage when the keyboard is in a constant-on state.

When i call up the Eco Utility (Start-Toshiba-Utilities-Eco Utility),the information panel shows KEYBOARD BACKLIGHT ON with an orange information circle to the left of it. But there's no indication of what this means and how to deal with it.

Does anyone out there have any idea how I can begin to address this?  Would be most grateful for any help.

P.S.  I have read on these boards about some sort of ILLUMINATION setting under Toshiba-Utilities-HWsetup, but my Satellite does not have that ILLUMINATION tab. Also, there is a similar discussion about another model here, but the fix discussed there entailed reinstalling files. I tried that, but my computer wouldn't let me install them because the versions of those files were older than mine.

chitown98756

Re: Backlit Keyboard will not turn off, even using Fn-Z key: Satellite A665

I had a similar problem, except my backlit keyboard wouldn't turn on. i returned it and got a new one, but then now i have the exact same problem as you. my backlit keyboard wont turn off. im gonna return it and get something other than toshiba, you should too because i can almost guarantee it's gonna happen again. it even happened to the display model at the store.

delgadocesar99

[ Edited ]

I've just bought an A665. My problem is that I cannot make the backlit keyboard to work. I believe I've tried everything. I calle Toshiba support but I could not understand her instructions to go to the bios and enable the backlit feature. Anyway, I believe this is a problem with the hardware. I cannot understand how it does not light up when hitting FN-Z.

If I dont find a solution or convince myself this is not a computer defect, I'll return it to the store and get something else. I really like this computer. Please help.

Cesar

Felixhc7

Hey, I had the same issue but i resolved it quite easily. First off all you turn off your computer. Then you boot it back up and you press F2 and open up settings there should be a Power Management Tab. Under the Power Management tab there should be Keyboard illumination options. You can turn them on and off. Then just save and exit! and it should work :smileyhappy:

KenRamos

Tried your suggestion in pressing F2 and it worked.  Many thanks for that tip.  Why Toshiba did not put it in the Users Guide, heaven only knows.  Anyway instead of selecting "keyboard ON," I opted for "Timer," which seems to be the default setting, as now I can control the keyboard illumination directly from the keyboards "F" settings.  Again, many thanks. :smileyhappy:

tellerphony

I just turned off my comp and back on and hit the f2 option, did as you said KenRamos and it worked... backlight is on again... thanks!!!!

Steve566

I have the Toshiba Satellite P755-S5215

Keyboard Lights:

When you are trying to turn on and off the keyboard lights
do the following steps.

Restart the computer

As the computer is restarting press F2 key a few times.

This will take you to the BIOS screen

Go down and select LED lights on

press ok and get out of this screen

If you change anything else in the screen you will screw up
your computer bad.

Velsetta

My backlit keyboard wont come one - I was able to get some lights to come up when going in to the Bios and turning it on but it didn't work as expected. For example the hot keys and the mouse pad light came on.. but not the key board. In addition to this once Windows started completely they turned back off. I'm really at a loss. I know the keyboard is backlit as it worked when I first got it... if any one has forsight into this problem I'd really appreciate it!

Dawsong

Velsetta wrote:

My backlit keyboard wont come one - I was able to get some lights to come up when going in to the Bios and turning it on but it didn't work as expected. For example the hot keys and the mouse pad light came on.. but not the key board. In addition to this once Windows started completely they turned back off. I'm really at a loss. I know the keyboard is backlit as it worked when I first got it... if any one has forsight into this problem I'd really appreciate it!

Same for me here 

andy914

i found the solution quite easily... simply hold the fn key and hit z, do not let go of the fn key you will see that there are several options, tap z again until it's on the third option, then you're backlight will be gone from both the mouse and the keyboard. you're welcome :smileyhappy:

jgourmet

Re: Backbit Keyboard will not turn off, even using Fn-Z key: Satellite AWAY

Sorry.... I just fix my problem by myself, someone in the ( forum ) has a problem with is backcloth just advise him to hit ( Fn- Z ) twice and take the centre symbol  all the light include the upper case  which are located next to the start prompt.

Has for me  I cannot set the proper resolution to see on my 46" flat screen and also see my laptop P775- 04X 15.6"  the same has my flat screen. Very fustrating?

James Gourmet

mrbenz7

Have Toshiba send you the instructions in an email! They make more sense when you see it in print!!