Occasional Contributor
n808
Accepted Solution

Alps Touchpad can not be disabled in Windows 7 / Vista. Advice?

I installed Win7 on my new Netbook NB205 (in addition to XP), and almost everything works great, except one annoying detail: it is not possible to disable the touchpad in the VIsta driver I found. The driver works, but lacks the extra feature added by Toshiba's ON/OFF utility that only works on XP (yes, even Win7 reports that this will not work, if I try to install it).

Not being able to disable the touchpad when using a regular (bluetooth) mouse is really problematic for fast typing.

Has anyone found a way to (quickly) disable/enable any Alps touchpad in Vista or Windows 7?

jeffrolc

Re: Alps Touchpad can not be disabled in Windows 7 / Vista. Advice?

Other than the problem that you had, did all the other drivers work OK?  I tried installing Vista ultimate and had problems getting all the drivers working.

Regular Advisor
Defender

Try going into Device Manager and delete the mouse menu, gather external mice and usb install, should work, does here.

Occasional Contributor
n808

Thanks for the advice.

The Vista driver I found works fine, there's just no on/off switch to disable it while typing and using an external mouse. Toshiba made their own XP-only utility, since the Alps driver doesn't appear to have on/off functionality built in.

Occasional Contributor
n808

I tried the same installation method I found worked with the recently released Win7 HDD Protection utility. First extract, then install from extracted files. The auto-silent install from zip seems broken.

Then I bypassed Win 7's warning about compatibility issues with the On/Off utility, and let it run anyway. It seems to work fine. There is an extra tab in the Mouse Properties to Enable or Disable the touchpad. Just what I needed.  (no hotkeys in Win7 yet though)

drthompson65

Hi All - Recently installed Windows 7 Enterprise on my NB205-N311/W and I too ran into the problem with the trackpad.  I have a lazy typing thumb and I almost went back to XP.  In all my googles I came across this tread but no link to Alps drivers.  I was able to find some HP drivers that do work and give you all the same abilites as the XP driver Toshiba puts into the original image.  As always use this AT YOUR OWN RISK and your milage may very.  Download the file, install, reboot (without a USB mouse installed) and you should see it under the mouse control panel function and you will see the aplet in the lower corner.  I hope this makes it onto the google search thread since I spent a day looking for this..  Sorry I don't have good google kung fu..

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp40501-41000/sp40715.exe

PS Sorry Toshiba! I don't mean to send anyone to your competion!  This notebook ROCKS and has my #1 machine.

uffehellum

[ Edited ]

YES!

Installing the HP touchpad driver makes the Toshiba laptop work correctly.

Too bad Toshiba has failed to add the correct driver for P305D-S8900 but never mind, when it is easy for the user to fix their error with a little help from HP.

I didn't bother removing my USB mouse, but just installed the HP driver on top...  Reboot was necessary, but then it worked immediately and fixed the broken touch pad functionality.

A great THANK YOU to drthompson65

/Uffe Hellum

Timber2

Thanks for the link!  I just installed the driver on my NB205 netbook and it works perfectly.  Thanks again for helping me fix an annoying problem.

Laurie Z