Occasional Contributor
stefanmaine
Accepted Solution

Adjust touchpad sensitivity?

I have a Toshiba Satellite L505D-S5983 with a Synaptics PS/2 Port Touchpad (driver version 13.2.6.1). Everything works fine, except the touchpad seems excessively sensitive, sometimes interpreting the slightest, most gentle touch as a click. My question: Is there a way to configure the touchpad's sensitivity? When using standalone mice, the driver software generally includes a "tools" or "options" feature where users can adjust such things. Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Adjust touchpad sensitivity?

Satellite L505D-S5983

Open Mouse in Control Panel. You should find a Sensitivity setting. (Tapping seems to cause the most trouble.)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
stefanmaine

[ Edited ]

Thank you.
When I click on Control Panel>>Mouse, this is the what opens, which is quite different from your display, and which seems to have no "touch sensitivity" for tapping.
The problem may be that in frustration, I finally installed a Logitech V220 Cordless Optical mouse, which has its own settings software. But could the presence of that software on my laptop have somehow changed the Control Panel>>Mouse "Properties" display?
Also, I should have said I have Windows 7 32-bit. Maybe that makes a difference.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I finally installed a Logitech V220 Cordless Optical mouse

Maybe that displaced the touchpad settings, Stefan. You might see what happens when the driver is reinstalled.

Synaptics Touch Pad Driver for Windows 7 (32/64)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
stefanmaine

[ Edited ]

I reinstalled the driver (thanks for the link), but the display at Control Panel>>Mouse remains the same. I am guessing that to recover the display you show, I will need to uninstall the Logitech mouse. I might do that. Thank you again for all your help.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sorry it didn't work out. Thanks for letting us know what didn't happen.

-Jerry
petiay

I just experienced the exact same problem where my settings for the touchpad completely disappeared (it might have happened after I started using a cordless mouse as well which somehow interfered with the driver, but I am not sure). My computer is Satellite U500 and the touchpad is by Alps, but that shouldn't make a difference.

To get back the touchpad settings I first reverted to the older version of the device driver which for me was located in Control Pannel -> Hardware and Sound -> Devices and Printers -> Mouse -> Hardware -> Properties -> Driver -> Roll Back Driver.  Then I downloaded the original Alps driver from the Toshiba -> Support -> Downloads page.  It might have also worked if I had uninstalled and reinstalled the Alps driver.

But in any case, I was able to get the sensitivity down by clicking on Pointer Speed and Tapping Settings in the screen below.

momkat

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite L505D-S5983

Open Mouse in Control Panel. You should find a Sensitivity setting. (Tapping seems to cause the most trouble.)

SOLVED?  Exactly where and what is the solution to this question please?   It seems simple; just go to Mouse under control panel and adjust the touchpad sensitivity, right?   Well, where do you actually find the Mouse?  I don't seem to have any mouse under control panel or anywhere else?   Toshiba Satellite L655 Win 7 64 bit.  Thanks.

Northwoodsbear

When open the mouse in the control pannel it looks nothing like what you have there and says nothing about a touchpad.

I have a Toshiba satellite which has windows 7 home premium loaded onto it.

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

Northwoodsbear wrote:

When open the mouse in the control pannel it looks nothing like what you have there and says nothing about a touchpad.

For the benefit of anyone who has similar problem.  This is how I solved the problem for my computer. As a couple of people pointed out on this thread after installing a mouse, the mouse tab setting has disappeared.  This was the case for my Toshiba computer, too.  One poster solved this problem by rolling back the Synaptics Touch Pad driver to an earlier driver.

I reinstalled the Synaptics Touch Pad Driver, which is the default installation, brand new out of the box.  I believe all models have similar application installed by Toshiba, though not all applications apply to every model.  To access Toshiba Application and Driver (Start->All Programs->My Toshiba->Toshiba Application and Driver Installer->Synaptics Touch Pad Driver), you will be able to access the touch sensitivity from Mouse Properties (Start->Control Panel->Hardware and Sound->Mouse).  My computer came with Version 13.2.7.3 (Synaptics Touch Pad V7.2); therefore, the display is different than what’s been shown in the earlier post.  The sensitivity is found under Pointing. (Cont. )

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

There’s a 20,000 word limit to each post. This is a continuation from previous post.

Additional note to this application… I can access the same Toshiba Applications by Recovery Disk that I made initially.

momkat

Actually, no, the mouse hasn't disappeared.   I have finally figured out exactly how to find it, although in  a  roundabout way. It's real easy when you know how to do it. :smileyhappy:  I have prepared a word document which has instructions and copies of the various screen shots and/or pop-up boxes, but the images don't post with the text.  So, I don't know what to do to be able to give this information to the people who need it.  Can/will someone help me with this and I'll be glad to share the knowledge.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Attach the Word document to your reply. Use the Browse button at the lower-right of the Reply window. I believe a .doc file is permitted. I don't know about .docx.

Tell which Satellite L655 you have when you post here. There is a label on the bottom.

-Jerry
momkat

I will try to attach the document. 

momkat

Jerry, I think my L655 Satellite is an S5099,

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite L655-S5099

Good job! Thank you.

So we know that works for your computer above.

-Jerry
OneRed911

[ Edited ]

Hi, I'm also having trouble with my touch pad but of a slightly different variety.  I disabled the tap feature long ago and just recently it's apparently re-activated it.  When I try to go to the mouse settings to change it back I can't get into it at all.  I click the link and nothing at all happens.  It doesn't take me to the settings no matter how many times I click the link, how many different ways I try to get to it, and how long I wait.  The sensitivity is becoming an issue as well.  Sometimes I'm nowhere near the touch pad but a gust of breath from one of my pets will even trigger it to open a link.  Help?

I guess I should also mention that I have a L655-S5114 and the trouble seems to have started after my most recent Windows 7 update.  I checked the drivers and they're all up to date.

AndyInDoral

I gave up on finding a software adjustment, but found a solution with a sheet of plastic from a sandwich bag scotch taped over the touchpad.  You can reduce the size of the keypad with tape on the edges and the plastic film seems to prvent the cursor from jumping around due to brushing the touchpad with some part of the hand.