smagy

A665-S6050- Space Bar does not alway "space" when pressed

I just purchased a new Satellite I3 - Model A665-S6050 and notice that when I am typing and hit the space bar it does not always enter a space. This is becoming extremely annoying. I needto go back and enter spaces between words.  Has anyone else noticedthis same problem?  Is there a fix for this,other than getting an external keyboard. 

Otherwise, I like the compter so far, but the issue with the keyboard keys is enough to make me return the laptop and exchange it for another one...maybe a Sony?  This ismy first Toshiba and I am disappointed with the keyboard responsiveness.

Any feed back wouldbe appreciated!

TL33

Re: A665-S6050- Space Bar does not alway "space" when pressed

I just got the Satellite A665 i7 and the spacebar is doing the same thing!  I researched for several months before buying a laptop. I decided to try a Toshiba and I now regret it.  I paid 1000.00 for this laptop and I expect the keyboard to work. It is very cheaply made as well. The performanceis great,(notice that it did not space) but what good is that when the keyboard does not work?  In addition to that this thing makes a very annoying buzzing sound as well as the keys make a "springing" sound when typing, it's drives me crazy!  I did call the company, they said I could send it to them to be fixed. I've only had it about two weeks.  Not impressed with Toshiba at all.  Another annoying feature of this laptop is that Toshiba vertical bar that shows up to the side of the screen ALL THE TIME. That thing is SO ANNOYING!  Toshiba: Make a quality keyboard if you are going to charge that much for a laptop!

pavlograd

I am having the exact same issue and mineis only 2 weeks old.  It appears that when my thumb hits the space bar on the edge towards me, it doesn't activate a space, but if it i**bleep** in the middle to top edge (away from me) then I get a space.  This is a problem because my normal typing position causes my thumb to hit the forward halfof the space bar.  Also, thedisk drive isextremely loud from very high vibration.  Never seen one with this much vibration and noise.  Other than these two things, I'm happy, but these are both serious in my opinion.

pavlograd

Oh, mine is a model A665-6059.

Regular Contributor
KISS

I'm currently FIGHTING with Toshiba on this issue and have a case number.  Depot repair could not duplicate the issue and returned the laptop unrepaired.

I'd each one of you to open "Notepad".  You cannot use Micosoft Word or a webpage to check the space bar.  Word may auto-correct the missing spaces.

Open Notepad by typing notepad in the search box.

Press the keyboard on the bottom edge.  I'll bet you won't get a space at all.  Please verify and post your results.

I went to a display model and pushed there and it worked like a charm.  My laptop is the A665-s6057.

So, you can try the bottom edge, left edge, top edge, right edge and at least 3 spots on the top of the space bar. With my laptop, the right edge gave some failures, but the bottom edge was 100% failures.

CompUSA's website had reviews with the same issue.

I can't post images directly and it's too much effort to set one up.

s8v
s8v

Same problem with a Portege i7. Its quite annoying when you are focusing in writing  a paper. it shouldnt be a major problem for Toshiba to fix it . Is ther any hope besides buying an external keyboard ?

Regular Contributor
KISS

Toshiba has finally duplicated the spacebar problem.  It took them 45 days to do it.  So, it's being replaced.

epochobe

Same here. Just sent it back after three days of trying to live with it. Ironically, to your post, I had a brand new sony vaio which was the smoothest laptop I have ever used...except that the audio was worde than a tin can (isn't sony an audio company too?). If this fix on the space bar works then all is well, otherwise, the pursuit for a perfect laptop remains.

rahowland

I-have-a-Satellite-L505-S59903-my-space-bar-isn't-working-at-all-which-is-the-reason-this-emai-has-dashes-between-each-word-any-advice?

ZombiePeanut

Ok.  So I bought my Satelite R945-P440 and from day 1 the spacebar only worked if you hit it towards the middle.  I had forgotten to register it so I thought I was screwed.  Today I finally got sick of not having a working space bar.  

So I experimented.  First I looked at a video how to take this type of key off.  You have to be careful because it is annoying to get back on and you can break your hinges.  Before I explain my fix let me explain the reason it works.

Let is say this is the space bar and the mechanism under it.

______  ^ _______

You hit the space bar in the center and it easily hits the sensor in the middle.  This is because all the weight is

on the center of the key.   When you hit the sides of the keys ( and youll notice the further from the center the more it happens ) the center of the key does not depress all the way.  This is what it looks like.

_ _ _ - _ _ _

____^_____   so the middle of the key never touches the sensor.  The fix?  Scotch tape.  Here is what you do.

Slowly with a blade or something VERY narrow pry the front right and left side of the spacebar up until it releases

from the plastic hinge.  Be careful NOT to pull the spacebar off or youll have to reconnect all the hinges and metal

inside, which is easy but annoying.  Make sure all the hinges are still connected etc then begin.

Under the key youll see a little circle.  Take 5 layers of scotch tape stuck together in a tiny square and stick it

to the bottom of the key center in the circle.  Make sure the tape doesnt stick out of the sides of the key or 

anything.  Just make sure it is large enuf to cover the little rubbin sensor on the keyboard when it is replaced.

Then snap the key back in place.  It should snap in easily.  Don't force it or you can break it.  Just make sure the

hinges are lined up etc.

As soon as you snap it in place, the center of the key is now closer to the rubber sensor.  This makes the key

extremely sensitive if you hit it in the middle ( which is why you cant use too much tape or it spaces by itself! )

and now when you hit the end of the key, since the middle of the key is now closer, it works!  :smileyhappy:

Hope this easy fix helps.  It took me about 5 minutes!

ZombiePeanut

Read my fix...works great.  Same issue

rornsteen

i  have same problem with toshiba portege z935 p300   space bar non responsive one inch in from both sides

solutions    with hot melt gun i extruden hot mel on the for ends of thr bar   now when ihit the pace bar too farout i immediatey sense it and readjust

pain in ass   ive always bought toshibas   this is last one   ihave some other issues with theportege

mainly i like it as it is fast and light    but its lacking overall

ps one otherbad  feature   itis warped     probably being so cheaply made to be light   so that it wont lay flat

robert

traininjane

Thank you, thank you!  I have searched again and again how to correct this problem.  So far it's working much better.