jbs1949
Accepted Solution

A205-S4639 touchpad disabled - how to re-enable?

I prefer to keep the touchpad turned off and use an external mouse and keyboard with my A205-S4639. But I just realized that I managed to turn it off and can't figure out how to turn it back on.

I've tried control panel; I've tried the synaptics touchpad app on the system tray, but I can't seem to re-enable the touch pad.

I've tried it with the external mouse and keyboard plugged and unplugged. Can't really do anything with the external mouse unplugged though.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: A205-S4639 touchpad disabled - how to re-enable?

Satellite A205-S4639

Did you try Fn + F9?

And this driver?

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

-Jerry
jbs1949

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite A205-S4639

Did you try Fn + F9?

And this driver?

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

I have tried FN+F9. I have re-installed the driver. I have double clicked the Synaptic Touchpad icon in the system tray to bring up mouse properties and reset them to default.

I looked for the Synaptics Touchpad in Control Panel where I find the same mouse properties. I've tried going into device manager and removing the touch pad so Windows would find the new hardware - which it did not; I had to manually install the driver again.

I have tried the FN+F9 both with and without the USB mouse plugged in.

When I move my finger over the touch pad the pointer does not move. If I position the pointer over an object, the computer does not respond to clicks on the two buttons.

I originally turned the touchpad off because I kept touching it with my palm when I was typing. The touch would cause problems with the cursor moving from the current typing position, the window losing focus and other aggravations. But now I've found I occasionally (rarely) don't want to use the USB mouse, and I'd like to turn the touch pad back on. I just can't remember what I did to turn it off.

jbs1949

Let me add this as well ... I started thinking about this because I was going through the Windows Updates planning for a future Windows 7 install. I found that I had one failed update:

Synaptics - Input - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070016
Synaptics Input software update released in August, 2008

I wondered if the failed update was because the touchpad is turned off. But, I can't figure out how to turn it on.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Some users have found that the mouse driver interferes. You might try uninstalling that before reinstalling the touchpad driver.

-Jerry
jbs1949

Problem with that is without a functioning touchpad I can't maneuver the pointer to click on install.

I think I've found another clue. I have had the infamous "Toshiba Flash Cards are not responding" error, and in another forum found the Toshiba Flash Cards appear to be required for FN+F9 to work.

jbs1949

I finally solved the problem. It was the Toshiba Flash Card application.

I found a message in another forum that alerted me to the Flash Card Application's function in controlling the FN+Fx hotkeys.

In another part of the board I found a link to a Toyota, I mean Toshiba, updated Value Add package for my model that allowed me to uninstall and reinstall the Flash Card application.

I now have Flash Cards configured to not use the mouse, so it will work with the FN key alone.

xctang

[ Edited ]

Dear friend,

Could you please tell me how to updated Value Add package

I am think that mine has the same problem. I can not use bring up my flash card.

Mine model is T135-S1312

Thanks,

jbs1949

Could you please tell me how to updated Value Add package

I am think that mine has the same problem. I can not use bring up my flash card.

Mine model is T135-S1312

After figuring out it was in the Flash Cards, I searched the laptop forum for "Flash Cards stopped working" - the error message I got from Windows.

Somewhere in there I found a message with links to three versions of the Value Add package. I went to each of the versions and looked in the list of models each version applied to until I found the version for my laptop.

I downloaded that version and followed the installation instructions.

The first time I ran the installation it just removed all of the old Value Add software.

I had to run the installation a second time for it to install the new software.

I configured the Flash Cards so the mouse will NOT cause the Flash Cards to appear. Pressing the FN key causes them to appear and pressing the appropriate F-key toggles the function.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I finally solved the problem. It was the Toshiba Flash Card application.

I found a message in another forum that alerted me to the Flash Card Application's function in controlling the FN+Fx hotkeys.

Good for you! Hard to remember those.

FN Hotkey still not working...

...Problems with touchpad and FN keys

...no function keys in Windows 7

FN Keys stopped working.

-Jerry