Accepted Solution

A205-S4639 touchpad disabled - how to re-enable?

I prefer to keep the touchpad turned off and use an external mouse and keyboard with my A205-S4639. But I just realized that I managed to turn it off and can't figure out how to turn it back on.

I've tried control panel; I've tried the synaptics touchpad app on the system tray, but I can't seem to re-enable the touch pad.

I've tried it with the external mouse and keyboard plugged and unplugged. Can't really do anything with the external mouse unplugged though.

Ace Advisor

Re: A205-S4639 touchpad disabled - how to re-enable?

Satellite A205-S4639

Did you try Fn + F9?

And this driver?

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

-Jerry

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite A205-S4639

Did you try Fn + F9?

And this driver?

Synaptics TouchPad Driver for Windows Vista

I have tried FN+F9. I have re-installed the driver. I have double clicked the Synaptic Touchpad icon in the system tray to bring up mouse properties and reset them to default.

I looked for the Synaptics Touchpad in Control Panel where I find the same mouse properties. I've tried going into device manager and removing the touch pad so Windows would find the new hardware - which it did not; I had to manually install the driver again.

I have tried the FN+F9 both with and without the USB mouse plugged in.

When I move my finger over the touch pad the pointer does not move. If I position the pointer over an object, the computer does not respond to clicks on the two buttons.

I originally turned the touchpad off because I kept touching it with my palm when I was typing. The touch would cause problems with the cursor moving from the current typing position, the window losing focus and other aggravations. But now I've found I occasionally (rarely) don't want to use the USB mouse, and I'd like to turn the touch pad back on. I just can't remember what I did to turn it off.

Let me add this as well ... I started thinking about this because I was going through the Windows Updates planning for a future Windows 7 install. I found that I had one failed update:

Synaptics - Input - Synaptics PS/2 Port TouchPad
Installation status: Failed
Error details: Code 80070016
Synaptics Input software update released in August, 2008

I wondered if the failed update was because the touchpad is turned off. But, I can't figure out how to turn it on.

Ace Advisor

Some users have found that the mouse driver interferes. You might try uninstalling that before reinstalling the touchpad driver.

-Jerry

Problem with that is without a functioning touchpad I can't maneuver the pointer to click on install.

I think I've found another clue. I have had the infamous "Toshiba Flash Cards are not responding" error, and in another forum found the Toshiba Flash Cards appear to be required for FN+F9 to work.

I finally solved the problem. It was the Toshiba Flash Card application.

I found a message in another forum that alerted me to the Flash Card Application's function in controlling the FN+Fx hotkeys.

In another part of the board I found a link to a Toyota, I mean Toshiba, updated Value Add package for my model that allowed me to uninstall and reinstall the Flash Card application.

I now have Flash Cards configured to not use the mouse, so it will work with the FN key alone.

[ Edited ]

Dear friend,

Could you please tell me how to updated Value Add package

I am think that mine has the same problem. I can not use bring up my flash card.

Mine model is T135-S1312

Thanks,

Could you please tell me how to updated Value Add package

I am think that mine has the same problem. I can not use bring up my flash card.

Mine model is T135-S1312

After figuring out it was in the Flash Cards, I searched the laptop forum for "Flash Cards stopped working" - the error message I got from Windows.

Somewhere in there I found a message with links to three versions of the Value Add package. I went to each of the versions and looked in the list of models each version applied to until I found the version for my laptop.

I downloaded that version and followed the installation instructions.

The first time I ran the installation it just removed all of the old Value Add software.

I had to run the installation a second time for it to install the new software.

I configured the Flash Cards so the mouse will NOT cause the Flash Cards to appear. Pressing the FN key causes them to appear and pressing the appropriate F-key toggles the function.

Ace Advisor

I finally solved the problem. It was the Toshiba Flash Card application.

I found a message in another forum that alerted me to the Flash Card Application's function in controlling the FN+Fx hotkeys.

Good for you! Hard to remember those.

FN Hotkey still not working...

...Problems with touchpad and FN keys

...no function keys in Windows 7

FN Keys stopped working.

-Jerry

Control Panel<Devices & Printers<Right CLick<Mouse Settings<Devices Settings<Uncheck: Disable internal pointing device when extrernal USB pointing device is attached.  

Make sure under the column Enabled that is says YES

NEXT

Select Animated Tray icon in the taskbar under TRAY ICON, so you can see if your synaptic pointing Device is enabled.

Click APPLY and OK.

On the bottom right side of your TOOLBAR there is an arrow that says SHOW HIDDEN ICONS. 

Select that and you'll see an icon for a touchpad with a right and left button underneath. It will look like a Square with two tiny ovals underneath from the left and right side. Make sure there is no red X over that icon.  If so, refer to previous steps. This worked for my Sattelite C55T-B5230 laptop. Mine is in windows 8. This happened twice and alot of times its from hitting too many keys, which one of them happens to be the Mouse pointer lock.