AgentDani

webcam error: mfc80u.dll missing

I am getting an error when I start my computer and try to start the webcam, it says the file cannot run because mfc80u.dll is missing.

System Restore and sfc command both don't work in restoring it, and I cannot yet find my backup disks.  The online app download for the camera for my model (Satellite M505D) does not, apparently, include mfc0u.dll.

Oddly enough, the webcam when directly hooked up to Skype works.  I just can't open the webcam to record anything directly.  My sound recorder also seems to be mysteriously gone.

Any help at all will be appreciated, or any knowledge if Toshiba can help by supplying a CD with this on it so I can reinstall these applications.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: webcam error: mfc80u.dll missing

Which M505D? Which Windows?

Please quote the precise message on a line by itself. No paraphrasing.

Which application(s) do you start when the message occurs? It also occurs when you start Windows?

That file is sometimes a nuisance. See, for example, KB961894.

-Jerry
AgentDani

Satellite M505D-S4930, using Windows 7 (upgraded from Windows Vista).

The error box:

"Twebcamera.exe-System Error

The program can't start because MFC80U.DLL is missing from your computer.  Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem."

The message occurs when my computer starts without me touching anything, since the program apparently tries to start every time the computer does.  I can't see in which folder the mfc80u.dll is missing from, but there is none in the webcam program folder.  The apps available to download from the Toshiba site do not have it.

I think something may have accidentally removed the .dll from my computer, like avast!antivirus, and I cannot reinstall it, as the computer didn't come with that CD.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite M505D-S4930

Some more questions...

You upgraded to 64-bit Windows 7?

How did you upgrade: (1) manually install, (2) "custom" install using Toshiba Software Installer, or (3) "in-place" upgrade using Toshiba Upgrade Assistant?

Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) and see if you can identify the camera assistant (probably Twebcamera.exe) on its Startup tab.

When did you start getting the error message? Just after upgrading?

can't open the webcam to record anything directly

What happens when you try? If there's a message, please quote it precisely.

-Jerry