eek-foco

web camera initialization error

I have a toshiba L650 model psk2cu-13r02c laptop.  I am getting the message "Web camera initialization failed.  Please check camera device and restart camera or application.  I have gone to the device manager and disable the device and restart the computer.  This did not solve the issue.  I have down loaded the drive tc30049700n.exe for the web camera and run this rebooted and I am still getting this error message.  Does anyone have any ideas on how I can get my web camera to work?

Peter

Re: web camera initialization error

Is the webcam listed in Device Manager under "Imaging devices"?

- Peter
eek-foco

No it is not showing up in Device Manager -> Imaging Devices.  Imaging Devices does not even show up.

Peter

This can indicate a hardware failure with the webcam. Try a System Restore because it's simple.

If that doesn't help, a recovery is the only way to rule out software for sure.

Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. On most models, you can begin the recovery procedure by holding '0' (zero) while booting.

- Peter
eek-foco

[ Edited ]

OK, I have my computer now at the out-of-the-box state as you described how to do.  The web camera still does not show up.  There is still no imaging devices under the device manager.  Also my Toshiba is still under warranty. Now what?

Thanks

Eric

Super Advisor
miker643

If you did a Toshiba Recovery to your unit's out-of-the-box settings, and you still have no webcam appearing in Device Manager, it's safe to assume it's failed. Turn your laptop over, from the Toshiba label on the bottom, carefully copy down  your serial number.

Call customer support:

Customer Support in the United States

• Computers: (800) 457-7777 (toll-free) or (949) 859-4273

You will get a Toshiba Tier 1 support 'tech'. This will in fact be some call center in the Philippines or India with a guy following a database of questions & instructions. He will probably try to get you to run the Toshiba Recovery again. Stick to your guns. Flatly refuse. Politely but strongly tell him you just did a Toshiba Recovery to the factory default out-of-the-box settings and you're not doing another. Request a warranty service number authorization.

Depending where you live, you can take it to a Toshiba ASP, or send it in for depot service. If you can, I'd try the ASP method if I was you.

Locate a Service Center

Good luck.

Mike