clc
Occasional Contributor
clc

system restore, how long should it take under safe mode

I am performing a system restore via the safe mode as that is the only way the computer will boot and stay on without the blue screen of death. but it has been running for over two hours not. the hard disc light is flashing and sound like it is doing something. so I am doing research on another ocmputer. it is a p-205 laptop, vista 32bit, sp2.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: system restore, how long should it take under safe mode

it has been running for over two hours not. the hard disc light is flashing and sound like it is doing something.

Shouldn't take that long. But won't hurt anything to let it go for an hour or so.

If necessary, we can try from the Windows Recovery Environment.

Which P205?

-Jerry
clc
Occasional Contributor
clc

it is P205-s6277, sn# 47147429k,

the screen is black, with two icons of what appears to be some kind of windows window of some kind but I cannot expand them to see exactly what they are. and now the hd light just blinks on and off.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite P205-S6277 

Any important files you need to rescue?

-Jerry
clc
Occasional Contributor
clc

It finaly came back up, but is running extreamyly slow.I have rebooted it several times and am now getting my normal Icons back but have gotten the blue screen of death twice cince then. I got microsoft involved now, they are haveing me run a malware program now, so far it found 12 infections. where mcafee fond nothing.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..run a malware program now, so far it found 12 infections

That should explain a lot.

Don't expect things to work properly after "removing" the bad guys. All the damage is rarely repaired.

-Jerry
clc
Occasional Contributor
clc

after all that, two differant software downloads still getting the blue screen trying to perform a back up but now my computer does not see my external drive,trying to reinstall drivers for it, but keep crashing. may have to put in the toshiba discs to fix what I think if vista issues.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

"Blues screen" tells us nothing.

Attach the corresponding .dmp files from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

-Jerry
Regular Advisor
eniac

From my experience system restore doesn't delete user files. So if the system was infected with malware before performing a system restore the malware will still be there. What it seems to do is restore the systems registry to a previous date. Once the system is booted however the malware may alter the systems registry at the restoration point and the malware is active again. System restore is a nice idea but you also have to know what programs might be affected. If you installed a program and choose to restore the system to a point before the program was installed the program won't work. If you uninstalled a program and choose to restore the system to a point before the program was uninstalled the systems registry will show the entry's (the system will 'think" it's there) but the program files won't be there and the program won't work and the system may not function correctly - may work slow, hang, etc.

After cleaning the malware - CCleaner might be worth a shot.

If it's possible I think the best thing to do would be to do a system recovery.