justbeachy75

slow start up

I have a satellite a215 s4697 laptop and the start up takes over 5 minutes.  i am trying to figure if this is my wireless router (lynksys wireless g), my security software (ca) or my laptop.  I have expanded the ram to 4g and my processor is 160 GHz. I don't think it should be this slow, am I wrong?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: slow start up

[ Edited ]

Satellite A215-S4697 

Two experiments to make. What is the startup time when you boot this way?

1. Boot into Safe Mode. 

Start your computer in safe mode

2. Boot into another user account. If necessary, create one.

Create a user account

-Jerry
justbeachy75

I started in safe mode  and again in safe mode with networking and it was less than a minute so maybe my start up programs? what can i eliminate?

Regular Contributor
kwek_kwek_69

Try to elimate softwares on your startup folder. it is located on the start program. maybe you have a lot of software that starts up with your computer. maybe this would help or do a full system recovery to restore you computer back to its default settings. :robotindifferent:

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

1. What about the second experiment? Please test booting normally into another user account. You are not on a domain, and you can delete the account later.

Sorry about giving you the wrong link before.

Create a user account

2. In the meantime, try this. Open the System Configuration utility, uncheck all the items on the Startup tab, and reboot. How long does that take? More here..

Using System Configuration

Remember, these are only experiments. We are trying to identify the culprit.

-Jerry