airborne531

product key

i recently had to reinstall windows vista on my laptop, however when i am asked for and enter the product key, it tells me that "your product key cannot be validated." how do i fix this problem?
Frequent Advisor

Re: product key

airborne531 wrote:
i recently had to reinstall windows vista on my laptop, however when i am asked for and enter the product key, it tells me that "your product key cannot be validated." how do i fix this problem?

If you used the recovery disk or recovery partition, then you should not be prompted for a product key.

If you used a commercial version of Vista, then you need to use the product key that came with the disk.

Which way did you use?

TLee76

I recently had this same issue. Seems that the restore discs have an expiration date somehow imbedded and you have to call Toshiba support and they will send you new restore discs, (for a fee), that have no expiration for the restore disc and/or product key. I am not sure how that works, but I still haven't received the discs, (only ordered a few days ago), but they said this would resolve my issue with the invalid product key.
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Toshiba restore discs have no expiratioin date.

There is no product key for preinstalled Windows. It is preactivated.

-Jerry
TLee76

Jerry,

Are you an employee of Toshiba?  I just posted what I was told by the Toshiba tech rep.   I was told that the restore disc they are sending will not have an expiration date.  Seems the discs that come with a purchased laptop have a limited time period to be useable, and it doesn't sound right to me either, but who am I to mistrust before I try their resolution.

Thanks for your input, but you should call the reps and have them explain before stating that I am wrong, or give me a more reasonable or correct explanation why they are resolving my issue in this manner.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You're right, of course. I'm not a Toshiba employee.

But it makes so little sense to time-limit the restore disc that it seems somebody must be miscommunicating.

Perhaps one of the administrators here will step in and set us both straight.

-Jerry
Administrator Administrator
Administrator
jim

There is no expiration date for recovery discs.  Those included with systems (when media is shipped) are no different than those that are mailed out.

I have no explanation for why a support agent would have told you otherwise, unless there was a misunderstanding.  Some of our systems do ship with a trial version of MS Office, which does have an expiration date, but that's very different from the restore discs, of course.  Can you tell me what number you dialed where you were given that information?

Sorry for the misinformation or misunderstanding.

Jim

TLee76

Jim,

Thanks for the info, so now I am back to square 1? I dialed the support number (800 457-7777) that is on the restore discs, also listed on Toshiba website for support. The other option they gave me, was to call Microsoft to see if they could validate the key, or give me another one, I have done that before when I had to restore an old HP computer. The COA validation may be what they were saying was expired, but it is, in fact the product key for Windows Vista for that particular laptop. Maybe the new discs do not ask for a validation? If it does, then I need to go ahead and call Microsoft support.  Any further steering in the right direction would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a million!   Terry

Administrator
jim

Terry,

You called the correct number.  I can only suggest trying again and asking the tech who answers to transfer you to "customer service".

If they cannot help you, please send me a private message with your contact info and your laptop's full model number, part number, and serial number (all from a sticker on the bottom).

Jim

TLee76

Jim,

All has been resolved. I just went to a place where I could hook directly to a network via Cat 5e cable and validated the original number. Thanks for all your communication and assistance. I do, however have another issue with another Toshiba. M/N A215-S7422 that the screen went black on all of a sudden. It will not send a signal to an external monitor even after using f5 or fn f5 option. I wonder if the video card may be bad. I did try a new fl inverter just because I had one on hand, but there is no backlight on the monitor either. Can you shed some light on this issue for me also?  

Thanks,  Terry

Administrator
jim

I'm pretty much here to sweep the floors and polish the doorknobs.  In other words, there are any number of folks here with better and more recent technical experience than myself.

That said, I'm willing to take a shot.  If you've got no video to a known-good external monitor then it's likely a system board failure, since that's where your video card will be (integrated). 

But coming directly to that conclusion is skipping some troubleshooting steps.

If your system is on but you can't toggle to external video with the Fn+F5 key combo, first thing I'd try is forcing a cold boot by holding down the power button for about 6 seconds.  Once all the lights are out (except the DC IN indicator), confirm that the monitor is connected and turned on, then turn the computer on again.  Most models (maybe all?) will send a signal to a connected display at power on if one is found.

If you still get no video, and if no one else chimes in with more/better ideas, then I'd recommend getting your system checked over by a Toshiba-certified technician at an Authorized Service Provider.  You can find ASPs at http://pcrepair.toshiba.com, or just click on the 'Repair' link above and select the 'Locate a Service Center' link from the drop-down navigator.

Jim