JustaHick

p755-s5215 shuts off when tipped back on screen with keyboard up.

When I set the laptop down on its back (screen facing ceiling)  with laptop open, it shuts off.  No warning, no screen displays popping up.  Perhaps weight shifts onto the hinges, or is there some sort of positioning sensor other than the hard drive impact shutdown sensor?

MigWetch

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: p755-s5215 shuts off when tipped back on screen with keyboard up.

The computer shouldn't turn off from being tipped onto it's back. There is a magnetic lid close switch that could cause it to happen if the lid and the computer get too close together. Check the Advanced settings under Power Options in the Control Panel. You should find a setting for the Lid Close Action. Set it to Do Nothing and try again. If the computer is still shutting down when the computer is tilted with the LCD lid down, you probably have a hardware problem. If not, you just probably had the lid going to close to closed which caused the computer to shut down.

JustaHick

The computer is wide open when it occurs.  I lay it down that way sometimes if I push it a side, or to give it an unobstructed air flow to the bottom.  Some times it shuts off relatively soon.  Sometimes it takes a while.  No notice or strange actions, it just shuts of all at once.  Will try the switch cut out though because I don't like it deciding to go to sleep on lid closure. 

At times it may not reboot correctly after sleeping closed for the night.  It can lose open apps and not reopen them

Bruce

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

This sounds like a hardware problem to me. If the computer is shutting down on its own when tilted, it could be caused by a short, a shifting part making contact with something it shouldn't or a cable losing a connection when tilted. Which ever, I would want to get this fixed. Either that or never ever tilt the computer again. Call the Call Center at (800) 457-7777 and arrange to get this computer fixed.

JustaHick

I disabled the sleep/ hibernate upon closing function so I can close the lid without shutting it down.  But it still shuts off on its own if I tip it back.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Patient: "It hurts when I lift up my arm like this."

Doctor: "Don't lift up your arm like that."

You know the computer will turn off when you tilt the computer. So either don't tilt the computer or get it fixed.