Occasional Contributor
pratcon

mk2035gss-ata smart failure prediction; satellite a215-s5849 with vista home premium sp1

Hi,

I'm trying to install backup software on the abovenamed hardware. The system is giving the error message on boot. it will not install backup software nor sp2. Is there a recent driver for the drive? The one i have is from 06. Or any other options except. This drive belongs to very good friend with some serious data on it. I know about the retrieval services, I'm just willing to go the extra mile for this guy. Any suggestions.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: mk2035gss-ata smart failure prediction; satellite a215-s5849 with vista home premium sp1

Satellite A215-S5849

Here is an easy way to rescue the important files.

1. Prepare a thumb drive formatted in FAT32. It doesn't need to be large. This stuff only occupies 130 MB on mine.

2. Download UNetbootin to create the thumb drive.

3. Download a Puppy Linux .iso file for the operating system.

4. Run Unetbootin-windows-xxx.exe and point it to the Lupu-xxx.iso file to create a bootable drive.

5. When you power on your computer, hold down the F12 key. That should give you the opportunity to choose the boot drive.

6. For some tips, scroll down to the following sections at this web page.

Mounting drives and partitions in Puppy Linux

Copying your files to external hard disk or USB flash drive

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
pratcon

Re: mk2035gss-ata smart failure prediction; satellite a215-s5849 with vista home premium sp1

Thanx for the reply, i have the data backed up just wondering if there anyway to install the backup software. The windows program keeps rebooting itself every time i try to install anything beyond the basic services. I'm going to research the net for a few more days, see in anyone has a fix. If not wil probably replace the drive or reformat it several times and reinstall the software.

Al

Occasional Contributor
pratcon

just disconnected the external hd, thumb drive and loaded only the basic vista services and was able to install  perfect image software so i can image this drive.

Al

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Glad you succeeded in whatever you were doing. I obviously misunderstood.

-Jerry