julio444

keeps saying reboot and select proper boot device

I have a toshiba qosimo x775 that i just got last month and 2 days ago norton said it had just prevented me from gettinga virus and then my laptop decided to just turn off when i turned it on agian it would not start the operating system and just stayed on a page that that said something about it patents so i decided to tweek boot settings to see if that would help and now im stuck with it saying reboot and select proper boot device so what should i do. should i just buy the media recovery disk and restore it factory settings because i dont have one or is there something else i could do any help would be appreciated.

Regular Advisor
eniac

Re: keeps saying reboot and select proper boot device

[ Edited ]

Turn the power on, when you see the Toshiba logo, press F2 to

enter BIOS setup, in setup press F9 to load BIOS setup defaults,

then press F10 to save and exit. Restart the machine.

To recover the original factory image using the utilities on your
computer’s internal storage drive:

1 Make sure the computer is turned off.

2 Press and hold the 0 (zero) key on your keyboard while
powering on the computer.

3 If your system offers a choice of Windows® 7 32-bit or 64-bit
operating system, select one at this time. If not, skip to step 4.

4 A warning screen appears, stating that when the recovery is
executed all data will be deleted and rewritten. Click Yes to
continue.

5 When the Toshiba Recovery Wizard opens and the Selecting a
process screen displays, select Recovery of Factory Default
Software and then click Next.

6 The Recovery of Factory Default Software screen appears.
Select Recover to out-of-box state.

7 Click Next.
A confirmation message displays reminding you that all data
will be lost during the recovery process. Be sure to save your
work to external media before proceeding.

8 Click Next to begin the recovery.
When the process is complete, a message displays indicating
that the internal storage drive has been recovered.

9 Press any key on the keyboard to restart the computer.

Khalidblabla

I tried to press the 0 key on startup but it still continues onto the screen which says reboot.........any help please
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Please post your complete model number, which can be found on the bottom of your lap top.

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi ! I assume you have W8. Always post your full model number!

THROUGH F12 AT STARTUP  

To access the System Restore, Refresh and Reset options using the F12 option at startup, perform the following:

1. If not already, ensure the computer is completely shut down. How To: Shut Down a Laptop with Windows 8
  2. Now restart the computer by pressing the power button - IMMEDIATELY start tapping the F12 key on the keyboard until the "Boot Menu" screen appears.
  3. Using the arrow keys, select <HDD Recovery> and press "Enter".
  4. On the next screen you are asked to confirm if you want to contiue with recovery. Select "Yes".
  5. The computer will bring you to the Advanced startup screen.
  6. Select Troubleshoot. Under Troubleshoot you will see “Refresh” and “Reset”.
  7. Select “Advanced options.” Located here is "System Restore."
  8. Make sure you read #1How to shut down with windows 8http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Windows-8-Knowledge-Base/How-To-Shut-Down-a-Laptop-with-Windows-8/ta-p/...
I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Undertaker2007

Hello, i have tried the "hold 0 while booting laptop" option and it skips the warning window and goes strait to where windows loads, then afterwords i go to the screen where nothing but a cruser loads up. It does not load anything else afterwords. Can you please reply with any options to help me?

Peter

This thread has been moved to another message board. Click the link to jump to its new location.

stenz

Same issue, or similar... I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 a few times onto the hard disk, everything goes fine, then "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Instert Boot Media..."

I've restored the bios defaults, etc., no luck, same result. I've deleted all the partitions and let Ubuntu create its own partitions, no luck. Any other suggestions before I return the machine?

The model number is C55-B5201. I've installed a number of different ways. All seems to go well until the reboot. Also, tried turning off all virtualization in the bios. Same result. 

Regular Advisor
bmurray

stenz wrote:

Same issue, or similar... I've installed Ubuntu 14.04 a few times onto the hard disk, everything goes fine, then "Reboot and select proper Boot device or Instert Boot Media..."

I've restored the bios defaults, etc., no luck, same result. I've deleted all the partitions and let Ubuntu create its own partitions, no luck. Any other suggestions before I return the machine?

The model number is C55-B5201. I've installed a number of different ways. All seems to go well until the reboot. Also, tried turning off all virtualization in the bios. Same result. 

Well, for starters you should start your own thread as the OP was not trying to install Ubuntu. 

I'd suggest you post your issue in an Ubuntu forum and see what they can offer as it seems as though this is not a Toshiba problem, but a non-oem OS problem.

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit