Occasional Contributor
myeurop
Accepted Solution

issues with print screen function

Hi. When I use the FN key in combination with PRTSC and/or Alt, the FN cards pop up at the top of the screen and get included in the picture. sometimes, when using FN+Alt+PNTSC a set of numbers is displayed instead of the cards, and they also spoil the picture.

Is there any way I can disable the Toshiba keyboard commands with FN +.... and use instead the default Windows7 keyboard shortcuts (which o not involve the FN key)?

Please advise. Thank you.

Regular Advisor
Rickez

Re: issues with print screen function

You can just temporarily disable or kill it. Why do you need to use the <FN> key though. If you are trying to capture the entire screen, <PRTSC> by itself will work. If you are just trying to capture the active screen <Alt> + <PRTSC> will work. Both of these cache the image so you can paste it into whatever image utility you like including MS Paint.

Rick...

Occasional Contributor
myeurop

Thanks Rick,

I agree with you. The problem is that the normal Windows 7 shortcuts do not work. Apparently the Toshiba shortcuts (which include the FN key) override the easy PRTSC command.

any idea how I can revert to the Windows7 shortcuts?

Occasional Contributor
myeurop

[ Edited ]

I disabled the Toshiba smart cards feature to see if I can use the windows default commands ( PRTSC  and ALT+PRTSC ).

Unfortunately they do not work. The print screen exe file is correctly installed. Apparently Toshiba has disables those commands. Can anyone tell me how I can reactivate the Windows print screen commands so that I don't have to use therather  messy Toshiba Fn print screen keys?

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

You might prefer the snipping tool.

Snipping Tool

Use Snipping Tool to capture screen shots

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
myeurop

Hi Jerry,

Thank you for the suggestion. The snipping tool is fine, but I still wonder why I cannot use the PRTSC key and PRTSC+Alt, provided as standard shortcuts to any lap top.

Why aren't they working anymore?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I don't have a Toshiba computer to look at. From what I read here, you need to use the Fn key to access the key.

Do you get the Flash Cards when you have a small window with the focus and press Fn+Alt+Prtsc?

Can you turn the Flash Cards off someplace? Maybe here"

Start > All Programs > Toshiba > Utilities > Settings for Flash Cards

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
myeurop

Hi, yes, I can turn the toshiba flash cards off. In that case I can press Fn_PRTSC and they would not pop up. The thing is that I like seeing those flash cards when operating the Fn key for other functions (other than print screen ). Maybe I could assign a shortcut key (PRTSN) to the PRTSC.exe file, but when I try to do tha, it doesn't let me.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I think you're stuck with that behavior. Sounds like it's by design.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
myeurop

Hi again,

well, my new Toshiba lap top is providing me with so many "mystery issues" This is just one of them. The most serious one is that I cannot install Windows automatic updates. I have been working on this for a week. (any suggestion on that?!?!)

As for the print screen issue, magic!...5 minutes ago I was poking with the Flash Cards setting. Somehow now when I press Fn I still see the cards on the screen but they disappear when I also press PRTSC. I ested it out and it now seems to work.

Solved. Thx.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I cannot install Windows automatic updates.

"Cannot install" tells us nothing. Please explain the situation in detail. Quote the precise message. No paraphrasing. Spelling counts. Put the message on a line by itself.

Please give us the model we're talking about.

Happy to learn that Prtsc solved itself.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
myeurop

Thank you Jerry,

I have described the Windows Updates issu in a separate post. I was hesitant to do that, as I know that it's a software issue..but hey, it's a new lap top. :smileyhappy: thanks again for your assistance.

Oskar

serafini01

Hotkey access

I have trouble using the hotkey F11 in my Corel Paint shop program for a screen capture. It appears to have been hijacked by the laptop in some way. Is this so? How can I fix the problem?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Hotkey access

Best to ask about this in the Corel forums.

Corel User to User Web Board for PaintShop Pro

-Jerry
ChrDWells

I was wondering why the print screen button was not working and I too tried almost everything.  I then saw that the 'FN' key and print Screen key will capture the screen.  Then paste it to paint and you will have it.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..the 'FN' key and print Screen key will capture the screen. 

When you press the Alt key as well, only the active window will be copied to your clipboard.

-Jerry
bingaux

I have a Satellite L875D-S7332.  I am so disappointed in PRINTSCREEN key.  I play this game and my reward is a gorgeous photo when I win.  I have less than 2 sec to hit PRTSC to capture my photo reward.  

-

1. FN+PRTSC seems to fail often.

2. I want a ONE BUTTON key to capture the entire screen (from which i will later edit and get my photo)

3.  I can't use most of the programs out there to capture screen because I dont have time to hit the button and set the size.

so... i just want the whole screen to be captured at press of a button

can I reprogram any keys to get my old XP prtsc results?

can you help me with a solution?

thanks for your attention...

Super Advisor
cbwilsha

I'm afraid you are out of luck.  I don't know of any way on a Toshiba Laptop to activate PRTSC except to use the FN+PRTSC or FN+ALT+PRTSC.

C.B.

Toshiba Sat. L675D-S7016 Win 8 PRO 64 Bit---Toshiba Sat. L775D-S7132 Win 7 PRO SP3 64 Bit which also has Virtual Machine with Win XP SP3---Toshiba Sat. L305-S5921 Win Vista SP2 32 Bit