kmscavo

internet explorer not working and unable to load programs on system

something happened and when i started internet explorer  it would not load my website msn or hotmail.

internet explorer quit working, will not load msn.  will not work if firewall is turned on if i turn it off it will load the first page of a website but if you click on anything  it will not open.  i tried to do a restore to a date and since then it still will not work  I have tried updating to another version but still will not work but can connect thru  firefox.  Games that I had installed will no longer work I tried to reinstall but after loading the disc and you try to open it either will not open passed the first menu of when you try to open it at all it says the file is empty.  Can you help

toshiba satellite A205-S5872 running windows vista  6.0.6002

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: internet explorer not working and unable to load programs on system

Satellite A205-S5872

What's the status of your malware protection? In any case, download, update, and then run a scan with this free program.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

Which version of Internet Explorer do you have? In any case, reset it.

How to reset Internet Explorer settings

-Jerry
kmscavo

windows defender is on

internet explorer 8

I will try what you suggested

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Windows Defender is essentially useless against most viruses.

-Jerry
kmscavo

i don't usually use this I have verizon security suite by mcafee  and now I am wondering if this caused the whole problem it went to do a update and did not update right  so I deleted it and turned on verizon firewall.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

verizon security suite by mcafee .. I deleted it

AV programs need to be pulled out by the roots. Look for a special removal tool.

-Jerry
kmscavo

is this something I purchase. can you recommend something. I ran the malware it had 4 infections I had it remove them. I tried to reset explorer by their fix it and the program would not load came up error 2738. I am going to try it manually now.
kmscavo

resetting did not work. Should I restore the system
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Yes, I would  restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

-Jerry
kmscavo

sorry to sound stupid but do I have to get the disc or as per the website can I do it from the computer .  thank you for all your help

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

See the section Hard Drive Recovery Utilities, starting on p. 59 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A200 Series User’s Guide

If your model doesn't have those features, then you may need to order the recovery discs from Toshiba.

Order Toshiba Recovery Media

-Jerry