kostas111

how to change the speed of a fan?

[ Edited ]

there are some laptops out there with this option

in toshiba satellite a300 psaj4e I can't do this

why?

I've tried speedfan, and although it detects the CPU fan, I can't really change its speed, for some reason it doesn't change anything in the end

why doesn't toshiba have some kind of utility which is specialized for this issue?

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: how to change the speed of a fan?

The fan speed is thermostatically controlled by the system board. The higher the internal temperature of the computer, the faster the fan spins. I have seen Bios upgrades to tweak the fan speed. Under Power Options in the Advanced Settings, there is a Cooling Method setting. You can choose between Maximum Performance and Battery Optimized. Using some utility to change your fan speed could potentially damage the computer and would not be recommended.

Occasional Contributor
ov3rclock3d

that didn't answer  his question.    and i'm now asking the same thing why does the fan never go above 81%, how can i change this and how can i get the fan to work at 100%.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

I do not know of any software from Toshiba or other companies to control the fan speed on a Toshiba computer. It may exist, I just don't know of it. Maybe some other contributor to this Forum will have an answer. But I don't recommend it. If someone sets the fan speed too low, they could potentially damage the CPU or the GPU. And if that was the case, I would seriously doubt that Toshiba would cover it under warranty. Toshiba would consider it abuse or neglect and not cover the damage.