snydley

hard drive locked

I have a Toshiba laptop, a Satelite X205-SLI4, with VISTA installed on it, and have some older software that won't run on VISTA, but WILL run on XP. I want to install XP on it. I don't like VISTA, but I have backed up all of my data. When I boot from my LICENSED copy of XP, it starts the setup process, and when I get to the screen where it says "Press Enter to install", I get an error saying there are no hard drives on the laptop and no option but to reboot. I went into the laptop's setup and it shows both of my hard drives, but they are "greyed out", I can't select them. Farther into the setup, it shows them as being LOCKED. How do I unlock them so I can put XP on it? Please don't suggest that I spend $100.+ to buy Winblows 7 Pro, I'm not interested in giving Microsoft any more of my money.

The thing that I don't understand is that when I went and added Linux Mint to the laptop so I can dual boot, there was no problem, Linux installed and worked great!! To tell the truth, if I could get WINE to run this software, I wouldn't even bother with XP. As far as VISTA goes, if it were gone from this machine forever I'd be much happier!!

Thanks for any help you might be able to provide.

Snyde

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: hard drive locked

Satellite X205-SLi4 

When I boot from my LICENSED copy of XP, it starts the setup process, and when I get to the screen where it says "Press Enter to install", I get an error saying there are no hard drives on the laptop

That's expected, Snyde. Windows XP's setup does not include the driver for a SATA-drive controller. When it was developed, there were no SATA drives. You should see this message.

You need to jump through many hoops to install XP on that model. You'll want to merge the necessary drivers into the installation CD for starters. Once you get XP installed, you'll be faced with the problem of finding Windows XP drivers for the various features. Toshiba does not supply them.

I wouldn't bother.

-Jerry
snydley

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

Satellite X205-SLi4 

When I boot from my LICENSED copy of XP, it starts the setup process, and when I get to the screen where it says "Press Enter to install", I get an error saying there are no hard drives on the laptop

That's expected, Snyde. Windows XP's setup does not include the driver for a SATA-drive controller. When it was developed, there were no SATA drives.

I wouldn't bother.

Hmm,

Now I'm really confused, since my desktop has XP - SP2 on it, and it has a SATA hard drive. I just pulled the cover to check it.

How is that?

Thanks,

Snyde

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

All recent computers with XP have SATA drives. No problem for the manufacturers. And many of the current BIOS have settings that permit it.

If you want to jump through the hoops using the retail installation CD, go right ahead. Google this for instructions.

no-floppy f6 install-xp nlite

But don't expect to find drivers after you've finished.

-Jerry
snydley

Jerry_Lippey wrote:

All recent computers with XP have SATA drives. No problem for the manufacturers. And many of the current BIOS have settings that permit it.

If you want to jump through the hoops using the retail installation CD, go right ahead. Google this for instructions.

no-floppy f6 install-xp nlite

But don't expect to find drivers after you've finished.

I built my own computer using an Asus P5W DH-Deluxe motherboard in late '06, and I noticed there are SATA drivers on it's driver disc, so that explains that. I do think I'll forget installing XP on it though. If I can't get drivers for it, what's the use! I wish I would have known this before I bought it, I wouldn't have. Vista is the biggest P.O.S. going! I guess I'll just have to keep using Linux and Vista, when necessary, on this machine, until I run into a program that absolutely has to run on Windows, and then I'll buy Windows 7, much as I hate to.

Thanks for your help,

Snyde

Occasional Organizer
tanstaafl

Have U considered trying to install WinXP in a virtual machine? If Linux Mint doesn't have Qemu or VirtualBox available, there is most likely some other VM U can use. U would be installing and running WinXP on a virtual HDD that would actually be a file on your HDD; the file is accessed using the drivers of the host OS, and U should be able to lie to the guest OS about what type of HDD it would be accessing. I have installed QNX2, QNX4, FreeDOS, and RH Linux in Qemu running on WinXP and on Debian Linux 5.0. BTW, Win7 has a WinXP mode that is actually a VM behind the scenes, so this is the way even MS has decided to handle these types of issues.