mathewsa05

dwm.exe help

I have a satellite m305-s4910.  Recently I had an issue with the pc not loading furthur than a black screen.  I have corrected that problem and have gotten back to the original problems.  When the pc turns on I get a message about not being able to locate the file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe.  Any ideas how to fix this problem.  I am afraid I have a virus but am not sure which one or how to decided what it is and how to get rid of it.  Nothing shows up in AVG scans but running PC cleaup kit I get a lot of registry errors.  I'm not sure if that's related.  Also I feel like I have been using more RAM than I should be.  Around like 60-70 percent when I'm not even touching the computer.  The windows sidebar will load up but you can't see any of the gadgets.  Yesterday my built in mouse decided to quit working.  I put in a usb portable mouse and it worked fine.  Any suggestions on what I should do?  Thank you in advance!

wickie_113

Re: dwm.exe help

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

Desktop Window Manager (dwm.exe) is the compositing window manager that gives you all those pretty effects in Windows Vista: Transparent windows, live taskbar thumbnails and such.

Try running the windows repair wizard to see if that fixes it, if not then you may have to restore with your recovery discs.

If your computer has a single operating system installed, press and hold the F8 key as your computer restarts. You need to press F8 before the Windows logo appears. If the Windows logo appears, you will need to try again by waiting until the Windows logon prompt appears, and then shutting down and restarting your computer.

1. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Repair your computer, and then press ENTER. (If Repair your computer is not listed as an option, then your computer does not include Startup Repair as a preinstalled recovery option.)

2. Select a keyboard layout, and then click Next.

3. Select a user name and enter the password, and then click OK.

4. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem and, if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite M305-S4910 

When the pc turns on I get a message about not being able to locate the file C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\Temp\dwm.exe.

That reference to dwm.exe is in your temporary-files folder (a place where no legitimate file lives). So you need to eliminate the place that tries to load it automatically during Windows boot.

Open the System Configuration utility (msconfig.exe) and look for that item on its Startup tab. If you find it, uncheck the item. If you don't, come back here for more.

-Jerry
mathewsa05

I looked but could not find it...

Super Advisor
lorddethstalker

[ Edited ]

Jerry's right, I missed that before.

If it is looking for it then there is probably a registry entry that is telling it to look there for that file.

Try rolling windows back to a time before the trouble started using Windows system restore.

Jerry's the Windows Guru here so listen to him and you will get it straightened out.

Welcome to the Toshiba user forums.
For those of you who do not know what a user forum is, it is a community of users who volunteer time to help other users. Anyone can participate. It's 100% voluntary.
Being super active is never a requirement
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'll wager it's on the Startup tab, but hard to identify.

Uncheck all the items on the Startup tab and reboot to see if it appears. If not, you'll need to experiment to locate the item responsible. (More in KB929135.)

-Jerry