RobT83

cant restore backup data from WD Passport

I just got my laptop replaced after my old one died. Old one was an HP that used Windows XP, new one is a Toshiba that uses Vista. I have 50+ gigs of music and pictures backed up on a WD Passport external drive, and the new laptop cant open the backup file. I just used the backup feature that was under all programs in my old computer. Why cant I restore my backup files. Can anyone help?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: cant restore backup data from WD Passport

Vista uses a different backup program than XP did.  You can download the NT Backup from Microsoft and use it to restore the XP backup.   

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

RobT83

Re: cant restore backup data from WD Passport

Hey I really appreciate the advice. I downloaded the NT program and successfully(?) restored all the data from the external. It took 40 minutes to restore 50 gigs. I can see that I have about that much less room in drive C, but I cant find the files anywhere. Where am I supposed to look? None of the files in drive C are anywhere near that large, but the space has been taken up somewhere.