aceennis

blue screen of death on brand new l650 laptop

Hi,

i've bought my toshiba L655 computer 2 months ago and ever since I got it I've had this recurring problem. Out of the blue the screen goes blue and displays an error message. It says:

"windows has been turned off to prevent damage blablabla"and then.. "STOP: error 0x0000007F (0x0000000000000008, 0x0000000080050033, 0x00000000000006f8, 0xFFFFF0002CD2D91)"

No indication as to where the problem is coming from or what type of problem it is. Thats all the information given.

it then recommends i run system diagnostic utility and check for memory errors which i did. No errors were found on the hardisk or in the memory.

Also I've noticed that it only ever crashes when im watching a movie or listening to music so I concluded that my sound card may be to blame but can't quite be sure. Also when it crashes there is a noise like a mechanical noise which is symptomatic of sound card malfunction. Other than that I don't know what more info i could give.

The error message doesnt mean anything to me its just a bunch of numbers.

Does anyone know what might be causing the problem or what those error codes mean.

Thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: blue screen of death on brand new l650 laptop

Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Please attach the corresponding *.dmp file from the C:\Windows\Minidump folder.

Which L655?

-Jerry
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

for some reason I couldn't reply to you

You should be able to reply now. 

i found the dmp folder but couldn't open it.

It's the file I want - not the folder.

I didn't ask you to open it. I asked you to attach the file to your message. I'll open it.

-Jerry
aceennis

OK here you go.

i meant to say file not folder.

thanks

aceennis

by the way its a Toshiba satellite L655 S5158.

I got it in june and ive installed all the updates with windows automatic update so far so I dont think the problem lies with the software not being properly updated or anything. Also I should probably have mentioned that I spilled liquids on the keyboard while the laptop was running a few days after the purchase. I took out the battery, dried it as best I could and didnt use it for about a month. Then I turned it back on and it worked fine (or so I thought) until this problem started happening. I reckon the two are probably connected and that the spillage has caused the hardware to malfunction or has damaged it in some way. Hope you can help. thanks a lot once again.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

Satellite L655-S5158

Bug Check 0x7F: UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP

Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe

Unfortunately, that's a kernel Windows file. So it doesn't tell us much.

Best to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. If you still have the problem before installing any hardware, software, or updates, then we know that nothing we can do in software will solve it.

That process will wipe the hard disk clean. So you must back up all important folders/files.

==================================================
Dump File         : 080211-21606-01.dmp
Crash Time        : 8/11/2011 1:37:36 PM
Bug Check String  : UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP
Bug Check Code    : 0x0000007f
Parameter 1       : 00000000`00000008
Parameter 2       : 00000000`80050033
Parameter 3       : 00000000`000006f8
Parameter 4       : fffff800`02c8cd91
Caused By Driver  : ntoskrnl.exe
Caused By Address : ntoskrnl.exe+70700
File Description  :
Product Name      :
Company           :
File Version      :
Processor         : x64
Computer Name     :
Full Path         : C:\Test\080211-21606-01.dmp
Processors Count  : 4
Major Version     : 15
Minor Version     : 7600
==================================================

-Jerry
aceennis

ok I will do that. Is it a straighforward process? how do I go about restoring it?

thanks

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

See the section Recovering the Internal Storage Drive, which begins on p. 59 of the User's Guide.

Satellite L640/L650 Series User’s Guide

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
pctech33

Hi,

If you come across the Blue Screen of Death, you can follow the following instructions to solve the issue. First of all, try to restart the system. When the Blue Screen of Death has occurred due to a temporary fault, restarting the computer will fix the issue.

Restarting your computer in the safe mode can fix the problem. After the system boots in safe mode, remove any newly installed software or hardware drivers. Go through the newly installed hardware and ensure whether it has turned on rightly, and also ensure that the hardware drivers are working well with your computer. You can ensure this by checking the hardware compatibility list (HCL).

Running your computer using the last known good configuration option will can also resolve the problem. This will help you to reset the computer. If you have currently set up any hardware, uninstall the hardware and restart the system to check if the problem is resolved. After this scan the computer for viruses.