Occasional Contributor
Brayton

Windows won't start up

I have a 3 year old Toshiba laptop A505-S6980 and this morning it was shut down and windows will not open.  It gets to the stage where you see the microsoft name and it says windows is loading files and then it just goes no where.  I did get into FN/F8 and tried a few things there like running repair and opening in safe mode, but got no where.  Could my hard drive be toast?  Anything else I could try?  I'm thinking about ordering a hard drive and trying to replace it myself.

Regular Advisor
GordOfTheJungle

Re: Windows won't start up

The Windows operating system may have crashed or been damaged by a virus or spyware. It may not be the hard drive at all. If tapping the F8 key and getting into the different options like Safe Mode or Last Known Good Configuration does nothing, you are probably going to need to reinstall the operating system. Try that first before deciding to replace the hard drive.

Occasional Contributor
Brayton

Re: Windows won't start up

When I try to get into the recovery wizard to run my recovery discs I can't get to it.  I press and hold zero while turning on the computer and it just goes to my password sighn in screen, etc. and I am back to where I started with windows not starting.  The recovery wizard won't open.  I have been able to do this in the past, but not this time.  that's why I thought it may be the hard drive.