lebon23

Windows Resume Loader

Hi, can anyone out there please help? I have a Toshiba Equium A210 1C4. From out of the blue, my laptop is stuck on the windows resume loader screen - with the two options available to select - from which I can't do anything with it as my keyboard does not seem to work. It works fine when going into the bios setup - but no response on that resume loader screen. I have read many posts over the web about the same problem and many people have been advised to plug in a PS2 keyboard and try that and it seems to work for them. Problem is - on my machine I have no PS2 port to plug into. Have tried a USB keyboard, but nothing happens.

From here it gets worse - I have tried a recovery disk. I changed priority in the bios to read CD/DVD first, so when I put in the disk - it says 'press any key to boot from cd' - and of course my keyboard doesn't work, so the CD won't load - it just stays stuck on that screen :smileysurprised:(  I have tried two different disks and the same thing happens.

The machine is about 3 years old and only about 6 months ago it had a new hard drive fitted.

Any ideas?? I'm at a total loss with it and can't find an answer anywhere....

Thanks.

Mike

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows Resume Loader

Equium A210-1C4 (PSAFJE-006007KS)

The specs should be very similar to this one.

Equium A210-1AS (PSAFJE-005005KS) 

You have 32-bit Windows Vista Home Premium, Mike?

..my keyboard does not seem to work. It works fine when going into the bios setup - but no response on that resume loader screen.

Turn the computer on and immediately press and hold the F8 key. Can you reach  the Advanced Boot Options menu?

If so, try the options there and let us know what happens.

-Jerry
lebon23

Hi Jerry,

Thanks for your interest on this one -

Yes, a 32 bit with Vista Home Premium - sorry about that :smileysurprised:)

I have already tried that, but all I get is a long beep, a black screen with a flashing cursor at the top left of the screen. Can't do nothing from there but switch the machine off.

It's a real tough one as I haven't seen an answer on the net :smileysurprised:/

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

It does sound like a hardware (maybe the hard drive) failure.

If you want to try another approach, download this recovery disc. We can use it to boot to the Windows Recovery Environment.

Windows Vista Recovery Disc Download

Otherwise, it's time to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

Do you have important files to rescue?

-Jerry
lebon23

The recovery disc you mentioned is exactly where I got mine from. That's where it says the "Press any key to boot from cd" - and pressing any key has no response on mine.

Yes, I do have some stuff I would like to rescue and I suppose I could purchase a caddy for the hard drive. I there any way of testing/proving hard drive failure? The BIOS does recognise it. The drive was replaced under warranty - was paying a monthly fee as some kind of extended warranty, but not any longer.

Just find it strange that other people with exactly the same problem managed to sort it by plugging in a PS2 keyboard - so in the Windows Resume Loader screen, they were then able to select and press Enter on one of the two options, and windows sorted itself out - and I assume no longer needing the PS2 keyboard.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

..other people with exactly the same problem managed to sort it by plugging in a PS2 keyboard

Can you point me to one of those messages?

If the drive is good, there are several ways to rescue files.

1. Install a second version of (say) Windows.

2. Remove the hard drive and access it from another computer as an external drive.

3. Boot into another OS from an optical or flash drive.

I find it most convenient to create a bootable thumb drive with Puppy Linux on it. Do you want instructions?

-Jerry
lebon23

Did see one or two - been searching high and low over the past couple of days, but didn't save any. Here's one, although it was a Windows 7 user.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-performance/vista-windows-resume-load...

Yes, please do give me the instructions with the Puppy Linux - it's worth a try, thanks Jerry!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Do it this way.

1. Prepare a thumb drive formatted in FAT32. It doesn't need to be large. This stuff only occupies 130 MB on mine.

2. Download UNetbootin to create the thumb drive.

3. Download a Puppy Linux .iso file for the operating system.

4. Run Unetbootin-windows-xxx.exe and point it to the Lupu-xxx.iso file to create a bootable drive.

5. When you power on your computer, hold down the F12 key. That should give you the opportunity to choose the boot drive.

6. For some tips, scroll down to the following sections at this web page.

Mounting drives and partitions in Puppy Linux

Copying your files to external hard disk or USB flash drive

Good luck!

-Jerry
ntsofndoftshba

I have a Toshiba Satellite A215 running Windows Vista and have run into the same problem (keyboard not responding from the Windows Resume Loader).  After researching the problem on the internet, I found many people who have experienced the same problem (... most of them Toshiba users!), but not one satisfactory solution. So, through trial and error I finally figured out a simple 4 step solution that should get your computer up and going. 

PREREQUISITES

1. The specific problem this resolves is a keyboard that doesn't respond from the Windows Resume Loader only. If your keyboard isn't responding in BIOS setup (F2 at startup), it is likely another problem.

2. You must have the TOSHIBA Recovery and Applications/Drivers CD. If you don't have it, you can order one for about $24 from the Toshiba website.

3. Again, I am doing this from a TOSHIBA Satellite A215 running Windows VISTA. I haven't tested it on any other models or OS's, but I'm guessing that it would work.

Once you've confirmed the prerequisites above, follow the steps below to get your computer back up and running!

1. Insert the TOSHIBA Recovery CD in the drive and press the C button at startup until the TOSHIBA screen appears. This will force a boot from that CD.  I have noted that this DOES NOT work with a VISTA Install DVD.  When I try to boot from that, I get the screen that says "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD ..." and, of course, the keyboard doesn't respond.  It does, however seem to boot directly, without this screen, from the TOSHIBA Recovery CD.

2. One it loads, select the System Recovery Options radio button.  From the System Rcovery Options, select the Command Prompt option.

3. In the Command Prompt window type "Del C:\Windows\System32\winresume.exe" (without the quotes of course!) and then hit enter. It should just bring up a new command prompt line. This will delete an executable system file on your computer. Please read disclaimer below!

4. Next, close the Command Prompt window, click the restart button, and magically the Windows Resume Loader screen is bypassed and your system should start up as normal.

Disclosure: I am not an IT guy and just figured this out through much research and trial & error.  As I understand it, the winresume.exe is the executable that restores your computer after going into hibernation. So, without this on your computer, I'm sure that there will be negative impact elsewhere, HOWEVER, this should, at very least, get your computer started up and running again.  After getting my computer going again, I went ahead and did an update install from the VISTA Install DVD.  Although a lengthy project, it did reinstall the winresume.exe file. If any tech-savvy users out there can add anything to this it would be appreciated. Good Luck!

willum

ntsofndoftshba you saved my day!!!!!
I've been searching and trying a multitude of different options to try and fix this issue and yours worked perfectly!!!

Don't know where you live, but I owe you a beer...or two!

Thx again. 
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

After getting my computer going again, I went ahead and did an update install from the VISTA Install DVD.  Although a lengthy project, it did reinstall the winresume.exe file.

This last step requires that you have the Windows installation DVD. If you have it, here's how to do a repair-install.

How To Perform a Repair Installation For Vista

And while we're at it, for Windows 7.

How to Do a Repair Install to Fix Windows 7

-Jerry
hmazuji

i was stuck on the same screen, and couldn't go into bios, and couldn't boot from cd.  there is no ps2 port.

luckily, i was able to use my logitech wireless keyboard to bypass the laptop keyboard without any problems.  then it was a simple matter of pressing the 'enter' key to resume whatever 'progress' it was making with the (i suspect windows updates).  i suspect the updates because after it booted, and i went to shut it down, it told me it was resuming update 80 or 140.

i don't know for sure that the problem is fixed because i'm waiting for it to shutdown.  but i know i can access the laptop using a wireless usb keyboard.