pauls_problems

Windows Boot Manager Status: OxcOOOOOe9 An unexpected I/O error has occurred...BOOTMGR is missing

I have a Satellite A305-S6872, less than a month ago i had to have a new hard drive installed,thankfully under warrenty. Yesterday i decided to do a recovery, using the recovery cd, and now I'm right back with the same error messages before the new hard drive was installed.

About half way through the recovery it said an error had occured, and that the BOOTMGR is missing. Then i attempted using the cd again and it starts out as windows loading, and then goes to a black screen Windows Boot Manager  Status: OxcOOOOOe9...Info: An unexpected I/O error has occurred. It also says " Windows has encountered a problem communicating with a device connected to your computer.This error can be caused by unplugging a removeable storage device such as an external USB drive device is in use, or faulty hardware such as a hardware drive or faulty hardware such a hard drive or CD-ROM drive that is failing."

After reading similar issues here in the forum, i tried rebooting using F12, and F8, but that takes me to the screen BOOTMGR is missing.

I also read that maybe installing a Windows Vista again, and following the the step by step directions from Windows.com it could correct the Boot Manager Missing, and recovery should be successful. My problem is my Windows Vista Home Premium was pre-installed, and i only have the product key information.

My question is can I download the  WindowsVista on to a cd using a computer with a smaller hard drive?

Or should I take it back to the shop that replaced the hard drive, and said all was well and give them another chance with it? It does worry me because my warrenty expires in August.

Thank you for any help or suggestions anyone might have for me.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows Boot Manager Status: OxcOOOOOe9 An unexpected I/O error has occurred...BOOTMGR is missi

Satellite A305-S6872 

i tried rebooting using F12, and F8, but that takes me to the screen BOOTMGR is missing.

Are you sure? F12 should get recognized prior to the hard drive (when the master boot record transfers to bootmgr).

Try restoring directly from the recovery partition. See the section Hard Disk Drive Recovery using the recovery partition starting on p. 62 of the User's Guide.

Satellite A300 Series User's Guide

-Jerry
pauls_problems

Re: Windows Boot Manager Status: OxcOOOOOe9 An unexpected I/O error has occurred...BOOTMGR is missi

Hi Jerry

I tried as you said from the book to hold down the 0(#) and power on while holding and the black screen appears with message in top left hand corner "BOOTMGR is missing and Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart". when i restart it starts with the Toshiba screens then goes back to the same message as above.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Guess you'll need to order the recovery discs by calling Toshiba Customer Service at 1-800-457-7777. They will want the computer's serial number and a credit card number.

Good luck!

-Jerry