Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

Windows 8 Desktop flashing blue screen and desktop background continuously, Help?

I have a Toshiba Satellite S75D-A7272 Windows 8 and 1TB HDD  and 8Gb RAM. It has a AMD A10-5750 w Radeon HD Graphics. I was working to set up some excel workbooks and when I closed out of them and restarted my computer. When I click on the desktop tile it starts flashing back and forth between the chosen background and a plain blue background. I can restart the computer and as long as I don't click on the desktop tile the start screen will not start flashing, but I tried to play a card game on the start window and it took me right to the desktop tile so the flashing started again.  Please help me figure out what is causing this.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Windows 8 Desktop flashing blue screen and desktop background continuously, Help?

Satellite S75D-A7272

Let's start with the things that impact your activities the least.

Try a System Restore to a point before the problem began.

Control Panel > System > System Protection > System Restore button

If that doesn't fix the problem, tell us what happens after you boot into Safe Mode..

Settings > Power > Shift + Restart > Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings > Restart > Startup Settings menu (select #4)

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

Re: Windows 8 Desktop flashing blue screen and desktop background continuously, Help?

When I restart the computer, after logging in on my computer if I click on or try to type anything my computer starts resetting itself.  For instance, the start screen will continuously refresh the tiles on the screen , and if I can make it to the desktop  then it starts refreshing itself the same way.  It's like it is stuck in this refresh mode and can't get out. No amount of starting and restarting the computer has worked. I really have been trying to get to system restore.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Time to restore the hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media. If that doesn't fix things, you have a hardware problem.

Do you have important files that are not yet backed up?

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

Yes I have been trying to figure out a way to get to the control panel but the darn thing is refreshing to fast. What can I do from F12 or maybe F2 or F8, something.  I'm a college student and I have papers that have got to be moved before complete recovery.  Thanks for your input and patience Jerry, I really appreciate your advice.

Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

I don't know what I did but I got the system configuration screen up and I canchoose to start in safe mode.  What do I need to do now?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

If you're persistent, both Microsoft and Toshiba say you can reach the Choose an option menu (the Windows 8 version of a recovery environment) from startup.

Microsoft says that repeatedly failing to boot automatically gets you there. You can also get there by booting from a system repair/recovery/installation disc or flash drive.

Toshiba says tapping the F12 key early in the boot gets you there. (You may need to Select <HDD Recovery> after that.) The zero key at the top also seems to work for some.

Then Refresh leaves the user files alone.

Troubleshoot > Refresh your PC

Reset restores the entire hard disk to its original out-of-the-box contents using Toshiba recovery media.

Troubleshoot > Reset your PC

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

Thank You so much for your help Jerry, it was great.   I'd like to ask another question please if I may.  How do I get rid of this nasty Windows 8 and replace it with Windows 7 with a system like mine?  I have been researching and I know I will have to Modify the BIOS with something.  If you have any ideas or hints and tricks please let me know?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

How do I get rid of this nasty Windows 8 and replace it with Windows 7...? 

I wouldn't attempt that. Toshiba did not create the drivers and utilities to make it work right.

-Jerry
Occasional Contributor
tazmania92761

Ok thank you for all your kindness.  Have a wonderful day!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Best to you too!

-Jerry