a_hippi3

Wifi not working

Hi I have an old Qosmio G15 series laptop, I recently had the hard drivers replaced because they had become damaged and the os updated from XP to 7. Now however I can't get my wifi to work,I've tried the wifi switch on the side and the fn f8 key combo. Someone at staples told me I might have to try redownloading the wifi drivers but I'm not to sure where to go to do that. If anyone could help it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Super Advisor
miker643

Re: Wifi not working

[ Edited ]

Your notebook is too old and is not listed as a Windows 7 Compatible Model. There are no Toshiba supplied Win7 hardware drivers or utilities for your system. This will likely create other as yet undiscovered problems for you with Win7. If getting your WiFi working is important to you, I would strongly suggest that you revert back Windows XP.

The easiest way to do this would be with the original Toshiba Recovery disks that came with your computer. If you no longer have the disks, then you'd have to order them from a 3rd party supplier. Toshiba does not supply disks for units built before 2006.

You could try these third party recovery media suppliers. But, we have no information on them so use caution.

Digitalmedia-labs.com

MyRecoveryCDs.com

RestoreDisks.com

RestoreCD4u

Good luck.

Mike

a_hippi3

Thank you, I'd prefer not to lose windows 7 after buying it. Could i just fix the problem by buying a wifi adapter, like netgear?

Super Advisor
miker643

[ Edited ]

The main problem is that Toshiba uses proprietary cards and often connectors. The chipsets may be made by Intel, Atheros, Realtek, etc, but they are tweaked by Toshiba to work in a Toshiba unit.

Also, not being able to install the 'Toshiba Value Added Package' for your model, (this would have been the Toshiba Common Modules in XP) will likely prevent you from enabling/disabling the WiFi (Fn+F8), perhaps your touchpad, etc.

Look on the Toshiba label on the bottom of your notebook and confirm whether or not this is your model. If yours is not a USA model, give us its part number off that label.

Qosmio G15-AV501 Specifications

Qosmio G15-AV501 Downloads

If it is your model, not even Intel provides a Windows 7 driver for your Intel PRO/Wireless 2200BG card. You'd be better off getting a USB wireless adapter.

Mike