Clamminfrank

Why must I go through Microsoft Account with new computer

Got my net laptop but can't set up mail program or calendar or store without having to go through Microsoft Account.   I don't understand what the Microsoft account has to do with anything.   HELP!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: Why must I go through Microsoft Account with new computer

..can't set up mail program or calendar or store without having to go through Microsoft Account.

Yep. If you elect to go with only a Local account in Windows 8, Microsoft will nag you about changing to a Microsoft account every time you try to use something on the web that Microsoft owns.

That includes its mail feature (where Live Mail, Hotmail, and Outlook.com have been merged) and certainly the Windows Store.

There are two "Microsoft accounts." The Microsoft account on your Windows 8 computer and your Microsoft Account on the web. The one on a Windows 8 computer is apparently necessary in order to access the one on the web (which you can access from any version of Windows).

This is for Windows 8.

This is for all versions of Windows.

I'm still a little confused myself.

-Jerry
Clamminfrank

Jerry - if you think you're confused, I'm really lost!  First, thanks for your response - glad to know that some kind of problem exists.   When you say "if you elect to go with only a local account in Windows 8" is there another way I can elect to go?   With regard to the merging of Outlook.com with Hotmail, can I access a new email program and still keep the comcast.net email address that I've had for 15 years? 

I've tried and tried to register a Microsoft account so I can use mail and use other features on my new Toshiba and Windows 8 but am thwarted at every attempt.   Seems I'm going round and round and never get to any kind of functionality and that the Microsoft account thing is the obstacle;  I've never run into this before and am stymied.

Again, thanks for listening and if you have any more words of wisdom or can point me in a direction where I could help I'd sure appreciate it!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

[ Edited ]

When you say "if you elect to go with only a local account in Windows 8" is there another way I can elect to go? 

I don't know how Toshiba has Windows 8 set up. You have either a Local account or a Microsoft account. If you have a Local account, when you try to go to the Windows Store (or any number of Microsoft websites), you'll be quickly forced into a Microsoft account on the computer.

If you still have a Local account in Windows 8, when you go here..

Settings > Change PC settings > Users

you'll see..

Switch to a Microsoft account

With regard to the merging of Outlook.com with Hotmail, can I access a new email program and still keep the comcast.net email address that I've had for 15 years?  

No need to change anything about your existing email. Microsoft will add a new address and give you others like xxxxx@outook.com whether you like it not. At least, that's what they did to me.

If you have a Microsoft account (on the web), then you should see some stuff in your name here.

www.outlook.com

I've tried and tried to register a Microsoft account...but am thwarted at every attempt. 

"Thwarted" tells us nothing. What does happen tells us something.

Attach pictures.

-Jerry
Clamminfrank

Thanks again, Jerry.

OK, I've finally been successful in establishing a Microsoft Account.   For some unexplained reason, yesterday I was unable to establish or reset a password to get into Microsoft but that has been cleared up.   Now that I'm into Microsoft, I'm told that they do not support POP3 servers which is my server with Comcast.   I'm directed to my provider, Comcast, and asked about changing my server to IMAP or EAS.   I contacted Comcast and they suggested I needed to talk to their advanced technology people for a fee, which at this time I decided to avoid.    Another suggestion was that I look in the STORE for an ap that would allow me to receive and send mail using POP3.   I found an ap for this and when I try to contact Outlook (which is what the ap suggested) I am told "cannot contact Outlook, try again later"   I have tried at least 20 time to no avail.

At this point I'm embarrassed...I thought I was more computer knowledgeable than I apparently am.  I can't even think of an intelligent question at this time, but thanks for your efforts.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

I'm told that they do not support POP3 servers which is my server with Comcast.   I'm directed to my provider, Comcast, and asked about changing my server to IMAP or EAS.   I contacted Comcast...

Mystery to me why you're fooling around like that.

You can safely ignore all that Microsoft stuff and continue to do email the way you always have. That's what I do.

In short, there is no need to use Microsoft's email.

-Jerry