twinklei22

Web Cam of Satellite P755-S5215 has never worked.

The web cam of my laptop has never worked. I did a search for the device and it shows no matches, can someone please advise?

Peter

Re: Web Cam of Satellite P755-S5215 has never worked.

Try reinstalling this driver.

Toshiba Web Camera Application(v2.0.3.3; 06-02-2011; 86.42M)

After that, try again. Does it work? If not, what error message are you receiving? Try opening Device Manager by typing "Device Manager" in the Start Menu's search field and pressing ENTER. Is "Imaging devices" listed? What's nested under it?

- Peter
twinklei22

Thanks for the response, unfortunately,this did not work. Imaging Devices are nto listed under Device Manager either. And i have the same error message 'Web camera initialization failed' what do we do now? 

Peter

That can often mean that there was a hardware failure with the webcam itself.

The only way to know for sure is to do a recovery.

Recovering your laptop to its original, out-of-the-box state is a great way to eliminate software as a possible cause of the problem. Note that doing a system recovery will return the laptop to its default conditions, completely wiping your data. Information on how to perform a system recovery can be found in your user's guide. To begin the procedure, press 'F12' during the initial TOSHIBA screen to open the boot menu. Then select "HDD Recovery."

If the webcam still doesn't work after the recovery, you'll know for sure that it needs servicing.

- Peter
twinklei22

Hi Peter, thanks for all your help, but i have invested so much in this computer that restoring it right now doesn't seem worth it. This is the first time that a Toshiba laptop has caused me so much grief (i have had 2 before- one is ancient  and the other one was damaged because it fell). I do hope that Toshiba is not letting it "slip".

I guess i'll just have to invest in a USB webcam. Again thank you.

Peter

Sorry we couldn't find a perfect solution. The USB webcam is indeed a nice work-around. Good luck!

- Peter
Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Are you really using Windows 8?

-Jerry
Peter

Somehow I overlooked that this was posted in the Windows 8 subforum. While I'm guessing this was simply posted in the wrong subforum, for anyone else who reads this, Windows 8 isn't officially supported at this time. If something isn't working properly in Windows 8, feel free to try to fix or share ideas, but you'll need to return to your original OS to determine if there's really a hardware failure.

- Peter
twinklei22

it was, sorry- i'm running Windows 7

Peter

Unfortunately, that still means that the USB webcam is probably the easiest solution for you.

- Peter
agrannan

I have been searching for 3 hours for a reason that my Toshiba laptop web camera has never worked. I am sad to see that the only answer is factory reset, which if you read the original post, wouldn't fix the problem. Maybe you missed the word "never"?

Guess I will have to buy a better machine next time. Pretty lame answer!