manojpatil

User HDD Password and Master HDD Password

Hi,

I have a Toshiba Portege M600 and when I go into the BIOS -> security,  I see that the User+Master HDD password option is enabled.  I know my user HDD password and every time I boot the laptop,  It ask's me the password, I enter it and then windows XP boots up and I can use the laptop.

Now, I want to move to a newer laptop and want to use the disk in the M600 as an external disk in the external bay adapter of the new laptop.   Interestingly,  the device manager detects this disk in the new laptop, but does not present itself as a drive in windows explorer and does not show up in computer management -> storage.   A lot of google revealed that this is because the disk has a hdd password and I need to reset it.

This is where I am stuck.   I know the user HDD password,  but I do not know / remember the Master HDD password.   I went to BIOS -> security and tried changing the user HDD password and it was succesful and then I tried to enter a blank password in the user HDD but it does not change and it still present for a password entry in the boot up.....    Looks like I cannot reset the user HDD password to "nothing"  without the master HDD password which I have forgotten.    So does this mean that this hard disk is now useless for any other computer ??

Is there a way to reset the user HDD password without using the master HDD password or  is there a way you can use this hard disk in a different computer if you know the user HDD password and not the master HDD password ??

Please help

manojpatil

Re: User HDD Password and Master HDD Password

Hi

I continue to research this on google and hit this link

http://aps2.toshiba-tro.de/kb0/TSB6B01MC000CR01.htm

It says

HDD User Password and HDD Master Password:
There are two levels of the HDD Password, the HDD User Password and the HDD master Password. If both levels of HDD Password have been registered, you can access the HDD by entering either of them. TOSHIBA Password Utility (TPU) only supports the HDD User Password. If you want to register both, open BIOS SETUP.
If the HDD User Password has been registered, the HDD Master Password can not be registered.

Especially, the last line confused me further.   My user password is set, but BIOS -> Security -> Built-In HDD Password shows as [User+Master].      

Can some expert please comment

manojpatil

Re: User HDD Password and Master HDD Password

Can some super contributor / expert please take a look at my query