thaidyed4life

USB ports not working

I have a Sattelite M45-S165 running BIOS 1.20. All of my USB ports have suddenly stopped working.

I have ALREADY tried the following:

1. restarting the computer.

2. disabling/uninstalling every USB controller in device manager, then shutting down and restarting and re-enabling/re-installing the USB ports.

3. turning off the computer, unhooking from power source, removing the battery, pushing the power switch down for 20 seconds then restarting.

4. turning on the computer in F2 and retoring the BIOS to default (at least I think I did this right).

Nothing has worked so far. I have seen that other have upgraded the BIOS, but I don't see a recommendation for that for my particular model.

Please help! You know it is really hard to work a computer without the use of USB ports!

thanks!

tbernot

Re: USB ports not working

I have the exact same issue with my BRAND NEW C655d-s5057.

HELP!!!

Regular Advisor
Rickez

mrscullini

hi there.

have you been able to resolve your usb issues?  i have a similar issue.  my machine is a relatively new c655d-s5048.  after performing numerous steps, i do have an active port again.  the port functions with a mouse inserted, however, if i insert another device the ports die.  i am able to revive the ports by putting into sleep mode and awakening.  i think it has something to do with an overload condition.

just wondering if you issues has been resolved.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Satellite C655D-S5048 

the port functions with a mouse inserted, however, if i insert another device the ports die. 

Sometimes there is a conflict with devices remembered in the registry, but no longer in use. You can use this utility to remove that old debris.

USBDeview

-Jerry
mrscullini

thanks jerry.  i'll give the utility a whirl and post results.

if i can pick your brain for a sec, is it possible to overload the usb ports and cause permanent damage?  for instance by using an unpowered usb hub????  my peripherals are relatively low power consuming devices, mouse, webcam, camera.

thanks, john

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

is it possible to overload the usb ports and cause permanent damage?

That would be really bad engineering, John. So I very much doubt it.

Along those lines, don't be surprised if devices which get their power from a notebook's USB port fail to work properly. Often the power supplied is too low.

-Jerry
mrscullini

fair enough, kinda my thoughts.  i agree, that the limited power may cause unstable operation.

thanks again and i will post my results after running dview.

mrscullini

hi jerry.  i downloaded and ran the utility.  i see the various devices however, i am not able to disable or uninstall.  basically, i can view them but i cannot edit in any way.  the os is win 7 home premium 64 bit.  i downloaded the 64 bit version.

i downloaded the other version to my xp machine and i am able to uninstall/disable devices.

any thoughts on why i can't on my win 7 machine?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

i am not able to disable or uninstall.  basically, i can view them but i cannot edit in any way.

What happens when you select a device and click Uninstall Selected Devices on the File menu?

What happens when you select a device and click Open in RegEdit on the File menu?

-Jerry
mrscullini

What happens when you select a device and click Uninstall Selected Devices on the File menu?

1. i get a windows confirmation message "do you want to uninstall the selected device?"
  2. when i click "yes", the message disappears but the device is not uninstalled it remains in the listing
  3. on my xp machine, the device disappears
  4. refreshing the list does not help, the device remains

What happens when you select a device and click Open in RegEdit on the File menu?

1. nothing at all, the file menu disappears as expected but nothing opens

same action if i initiate these commands from the right click drop down menu.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Can't hurt to uninstall it and reinstall while in Safe Mode.

Also, can't hurt to take advantate of NirSoft's offer.

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

Feedback

If you have any problem, suggestion, comment, or you found a bug in my utility, you can send a message to nirsofer@yahoo.com.

-------------------8<------------------- <snip> ---------------------

-Jerry
mrscullini

Can't hurt to uninstall it and reinstall while in Safe Mode.

duh!!!  thanks, i am able to uninstall all devices in safe mode.

after i uninstalled all devices, i plugged in the mouse to one port.  it appeared in dview.  then i plugged in an external hdd to the second port, the ports died.  again, i'm able to revive the ports by sleep mode cycling.  it really seems that the port(s) are overloading.

i'm able to plug in a 256 mB memory stick with no problems.  i'm beginning to think i need a powered hub for other peripherals.

thoughts????

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

i'm beginning to think i need a powered hub for other peripherals

I assumed that the hard drives were powered separately. If not, you probably do need a powered hub.

This is common among laptops. Toshiba in particular was known (in the past at least) to supply only 100ma at USB ports instead of the 500ma supplied by most desktop motherboards. Sometimes different power was supplied at different ports.

-Jerry
mrscullini

I assumed that the hard drives were powered separately.

nope, it's just a little western digi passport.  no external power supply.

the funny thing is, i didn't have a problem in the past.  this issue just popped up the other day.  i will try an externally powered hub.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Let us know how that turns out.

-Jerry
heretikos

This sucks. I have the same computer, problem, and don't know crap about computers. And you people who do don't even know what the problem is. I'm not going to mess with toshiba ever again for anything for this crap. It's not a high end computer, but this is lame as hell 

Occasional Advisor
Daopa

Hello mrs.

You typed :   I will try an externally powered hub.

Here is my experience, I got a 4 port hub and powered it from a old router power supply, it gives 5 V at 2.5 A. At one time, I had 4 USB devices connected to it and two more on my Toshiba. Be careful of the polarity, I found that the center contact was - (minus) which is unusual. I parked all 6 devices on my screen and was able to move/copy files from/to any in this setup.

My Toshiba, an L300D can accept all three ports in use even with no hub. Nothing in my manual will state the output current on any USB port. Can you see it in yours ?    Be good.  Jean.

rickli84

Hi Jerry,

Because my 1TB WD passport is not working properly on my toshiba P850/04P (works on and off), but another 500GB WD passport works well. By any chance, do you know if a 500GB WD passport needs less power than a 1TB one?

I am thinking maybe the power in that port is just not enough for my 1TB drive

Thanks!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Good thought! It didn't occur to me you have no external power supply.

These laptops don't supply much current at the USB port. I never use external drives that do not plug in elsewhere.

-Jerry