erries
Accepted Solution

USB ports detached on the inside

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6965. The two USB ports on the right (next to each other) have somehow become detached on the inside -- I can still see them in there, but they're not aligned properly with the slots, so I can't insert a thumb drive. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can I go in from the bottom and snap them back into place somehow, or should I leave it to a professional? Will they just snap back in, or is there a screw or something that's probably broken in there?

Thanks,

Erica

erries

Re: USB ports detached on the inside

Addendum: I took it to Best Buy (where I bought it), and an employee there told me he'd send it back to Toshiba, but they would probably tell me I needed a new motherboard (because the USB ports are supposed to be soldered to the motherboard, and the fact that they're wiggling around loose in there means they've broken off from the motherboard). He also said Toshiba would most likely categorize this as "intentional damage" or something to that effect -- essentially, they'll say I was being too rough with it, so it doesn't fall under the manufacturer's warranty, so I'll have to pay $250-350 for a new motherboard. The employee's exact words were, "You might as well get a new computer." I *love* this laptop, and I've had it for less than a year. Is there anything else I can do? Please respond if you have any suggestions.

Thanks again,

Erica

komodo

I have the EXACT same laptop, and the EXACT same problem!

I just came back from a local computer repair shop, and was told the EXACT same thing that you were told at Bestbuy. (BTW, that's where I bought my laptop too)

Considering I'm 56 years old, and take EXCELLENT care of this laptop, which btw never leaves my desk. I believe it's a defect in production, and Toshiba should cover it under the warrenty, but the won't!

If anyone has directions for removing the back, I'd appreciate it. I might as well try to fix it myself because I'm not about to pay $350+ for it. 

komodo

erries, I found this link with step-by-step directions, with pictures, on how to remove the back of the laptop. http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A505/removing-optical-drive-1.htm On page 2 of the directions, steps 12 & 13 you can CLEARLY see the two USB outlets in question. It doesn't look like it's a problem of them becoming disconnected from the mother board, rather, it looks like (in our case) they ONLY disconnected from the body of the laptop. It looks like a simple fix??? I'll let you know if it IS simploe in a few days after I attempt it myself.
erries

Wow, thanks so much for the link! My boyfriend and I actually determined prior to seeing your response that my USB ports do in fact still work -- this is not the most technical solution, but we grabbed one of the slots with a pair of tweezers and pulled it toward the hole and held it in place long enough to get a thumb drive in there, and lo and behold, the thumb drive fired up and worked normally. So it seems the USB ports were never soldered to the motherboard in the first place, and the guy at Best Buy didn't know what he was talking about. Once we get the casing off, it *should* just be a simple matter of somehow securing the ports back in their original position snug against the holes, though I don't know if that will involve something as simple as snapping them back into place, or if it'll be more complicated, like having to somehow glue them back in. When you have a chance to investigate, please respond here and let me know what happened!

Thanks again,

Erica

komodo

My son and I will be doing it this weekend. I'll let you know how we made out and any problems we had.

John

komodo

IT CANNOT BE FIXED!

I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you can't "fix" the UBS ports. I shouldn't say "can't", because you can fix it, BUT........in order to do so you need a new case!

The UBS is held in place with a screw. There is a plastic sleeve with a brass insert that the screw gets screwed into. The plastic sleeve is attached to the bottom of the case. The insert only goes half way down the sleeve. That's where mine broke off, and probably yours as well.

With mine, not only did it "snap off" at the base of the insert, but the part of the sleve still around the insert was broken into pieces as well. No way for me to fix it.

YOU, might be a little more lucky than I was. IF...that insert snapped off clean, and is still in one piece, you might be able to glue it back in place with a spot of epoxy.

If you're going to try, the directions from that site I posted the link to is fairly accurate. You don't need to remove the memory, or the hard drive, BUT, you DO need to remove a screw that's under the hard drive. It's on the side of the drive and you can reach it without removing the drive itself. Also, under the keyboard, there are TWO screws that need to be removed, not one!

As for me, while I had it opened up, I just attached a USB extension cord I had on hand. I now have a laptop with a tail! LOL!!!  It may not be pretty but it works for me.

Let me know how you make out.

John

yoda005

Best Buy tech can't fix anything, they are just plug and play guys.

erries

komodo, just wanted to let you know that my boyfriend fixed it for me. I wasn't there when he did it, so I can't explain the minute details, but he took the casing off and was able to superglue (!) the plastic piece that holds the USB ports in place. It works fine now; I just have to be gentle when I'm plugging things into those ports.

Erica

komodo

Thank's for letting me know. Glad it worked out for you.

ANGEL4165

I JUST FOUND THE BEST WAY TO FIX THIS PROBLEM GO TO THE WEBSITE THAT KOMOBO PROVIDED THEN FOLLOW STEPS 1 THROUGH 5 ONCE YOU HAVE TAKEN THE FOUR SCREWS OF THE KEYBOARD DON'T DISCONNECT THE KEYBOARD BUT BE CAREFUL NOT TO PULL IT . NOW MOVE THE KEYBOARD A LITTLE DOWN TO SHOW THE PICTURE YOU SEE IN STEP 11. NOTE YOU DONT HAVE TO REMOVE THE HARDDRIVE. NOW THERE ARE TWO HOLES ON THE TOP WHERE YOU CAN GET TO THE USB PORTS THAT ARE DISATTACHED. NOW GET A PEN A ERASEABLE PEN ANY COLOR IT DOESNT MATTER. NOW TAKE OFF THE ERASER AND PUT THE ERASER IN ONE OF THE TWO HOLES AND IT WILL HOLD THE USBPORTS BACK IN PLACE AND IT WILL ALSO ALLOW YOU TO PUT BACK THE KEYBOARD WITH NO PROBLEM WORKS GREAT FOR MEEEEEEE THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE IDEAS AND STEP THATS HOW I FIGURE OUT THIS TRICK.

SinaFritz59

[ Edited ]

I have an A505 with the exact same problem and it is only 18 months old and of course, out of warranty. I took it to our tech at work and she opened it up and showed me where the ports are supposed to be attached. Turns out that they are indeed held in place by a single small screw that goes into a small plastic post that is positioned in between the two ports. They are wired to the motherboard, not soldered or reinforced in any way. That means that everytime you plug something into one of the USB ports, they can torque ever so slightly eventually breaking that teeny tiny post. Once that post is busted, the ports get pushed back into the case. Poor design in my opinion - but fixable if you have the moxy. Since it is out of warranty anyway, my husband and I are going to attempt to glue it to what's left of the post, then jury rig a plastic wedge to put between the back of the ports and the motherboard so they can't shift around anymore. This is what should have been done in the first place!

dianecmckee

SinaFritz, please write back and let us know how it went, trying to fix this problem. I called Toshiba today and they said that I would have to send it in and that it would cost $450 to fix it. I bought my laptop for $600. Manufacturers don't build things to last, and they make it nearly impossible to get them fix... which explains the state of our landfills and why poor children in China have mountains of laptops and other computers to pick through for tiny scraps of valuable metal. But I digress...

I have a Toshiba Satellite A505-S6980 Laptop. I bought it new 20 months ago. I had the other problem with the USB ports, where they just stopped working. Then they started working again, but now, of course, they have sunken into the plastic case. I'm down to one, and if that one sinks in, and I've read that it can, I'm basically without a computer.

I have a tech-savvy kid who could maybe help me "fix" this (I use that term as loosely as the manufacturer built it). The design is flawed, but Toshiba isn't formally recognizing it as such. (So we're screwed.)

So let us know what happened, okay? Thanks!

komodo

dianecmckee, if you and your "tech-savvy kid" follow the directions here: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A505/removing-optical-drive-1.htm

you won't have too many problems.

It's not so much a "tech" problem, more of a "mechanical" one. My best advice to you is, plan on doing the repair when you can have your 505 down for two days. One day to take it apart and see what the damage is, and get the needed supplies to fix it, then do the fix the next day. You might get lucky and be able to repair it in one day (I hope!) but it's better to have the extra time as not to rush the job. It IS a PITA taking this thing apart, you don't want to have to do it twice. :smileysurprised:

Good luck!

dianecmckee

Thank you. I guess it will be this weekend. I'll let you know how it goes, just in case I can help someone else. Maybe I'll take a picture of its "guts" for you, if there is a way to post a picture (there should be!)

komodo wrote:

dianecmckee, if you and your "tech-savvy kid" follow the directions here: http://www.irisvista.com/tech/laptops/Toshiba-Satellite-A505/removing-optical-drive-1.htm

you won't have too many problems.

It's not so much a "tech" problem, more of a "mechanical" one. My best advice to you is, plan on doing the repair when you can have your 505 down for two days. One day to take it apart and see what the damage is, and get the needed supplies to fix it, then do the fix the next day. You might get lucky and be able to repair it in one day (I hope!) but it's better to have the extra time as not to rush the job. It IS a PITA taking this thing apart, you don't want to have to do it twice. :smileysurprised:

Good luck!

wally9mm

I experienced the same problem. I cemented the post but it was still loose when I pushed in my thumbdrive. I used your fix but used a a wooden dowel large enough to wedge the usb assembly against an inner support.

Now when I push in my thumbdrive, it doesn't budge.

This is a quality issue that consumers should not expect to happen and Toshiba should have recognized and addressed this defect.

To Toshiba: I thought that this was a quality product and understand you would surely lose revenue if you acknowledged and fixed an obvious defect that all laptops utilizing this usb mounting method. Other than this issue, I have been satisfied with the performance of this product. However, I will not purchase another Toshiba computer, since there are many competitive laptop manufaturers currently on the market.

Lewis22

I am a computer tech, by trade. I also bought an A505 for my own use a couple of years ago. I was very pleased with the price and the workmanship of the unit. But, my two USB ports also came apart, and stopped working. What surprises me is that I have 4 friends who all have Satellite laptops of different models who have exactly the same problem, if fact, I don't know anyone who doesn't. This is not only a defect with the A505's but others. A205

What surprised me, is when I went into the laptop how beautifully the design was on all other components, and how sad the USB ports are.

I haven't fixed mine yet, but have a renewed determination to do so. Thanks for the link.

healybri45

Same thing just happened to me. Best Buy--where I bought it--said it would cost me a ****load of money to fix it. A technician from IYogi is on his way. I will tell you what he says. We have not treated this computer hardshly. It must be a design flaw. I have an A505-S6980 laptop. Two years old.

healybri45

A computer technician solved the problem this way. The brass fitting inside the plastic sleeve broke off and the USB ports became detached and receded into the machine.  He tried to simply attach the screw into the sleeve but  the screw had nothing to screw into. So, he took a piece of copy paper, folded it several times and wedged it next to the two USB  port platform. He extended the folded paper off to the side as well. When he re-assembled the coverings, the USB ports sat very snugly into the casing and worked perfectly. So when the Toshiba 505-S6980 dual USB ports detach because of the faulty screw and sleeve which hold it in place--it can be fixed--cheaply!!

janina

Re: USB ports detached on the inside AND curser touch pad not working

Hi every one I bought my Toshiba A505 in 2009.  Hardly ever used the USB drives. two weeks ago my curser touch pad and the the curser "buttons" ( yes , I am not tech savvy at all) below the touch pad also stopped working . Paid Toshiba techs online to help with the problem and after wasting my money they told me the touch pad hardware was shot ( they are rude as well because I had trouble understanding what they were telling me to do to reload software for the curser). So i had to start using a external /USB mouse . Here I am after 2 weeks : the right side twin ports are unusable as they are flopping around inside the laptop. I understand now that the shoddy plastic to which the ports were screwed into has broken off! These are USB ports that, in the 2 1/4 years that I have had this laptop,other than the past 2 weeks , I probably used them maybe 10 times or less. I will try and open the cover per the directions all of you good people have posted here and try to fix it with super glue and or paper . The left USB port seems a bit loose now after using it the last two days to hook up the external mouse without which i can no longer use the laptop given that their shoddy touch pad. If that left USB port goes too I will be without a laptop ( I paid more than a $1000.00 for this piece of junk). I will no longer buy Toshiba again and I will also file a report on RIPPED OFF.COM to alert others .

Thanks all.