aspano1

USB ports are dead?

I recently used a  restore disk on a satellite L25-S119 that was a Christmas gift to my daughter more than several years ago, which went well except that my USB ports are dead. I used the ports before the restore to pull some info for her, pictures an some music files,but after I've been able to get them to work just sporadically. With going to bios on start up and enable/ disable, device manager says they're working OK. I've read some forum threads about bios, and PCMCIA cards. Like to know if the the PCMCIA card fix would work for my situation. Any help great.

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Re: USB ports are dead?

Frequent Advisor
Pensacola_Tiger

aspano1 wrote:

I recently used a  restore disk on a satellite L25-S119 that was a Christmas gift to my daughter more than several years ago, which went well except that my USB ports are dead. I used the ports before the restore to pull some info for her, pictures an some music files,but after I've been able to get them to work just sporadically. With going to bios on start up and enable/ disable, device manager says they're working OK. I've read some forum threads about bios, and PCMCIA cards. Like to know if the the PCMCIA card fix would work for my situation. Any help great.

The PC Card fix is recommended where there is definite physical damage to the USB ports.  If your problem is software, not hardware, adding a card may or may not work.  Considering the low cost of the card, I'd say give it a shot.  You have tried deleting all entries for USB ports and hubs in Device Manager and rebooting to get Windows to reinstall the drivers, right?

aspano1

This morning on a whim after start up I plug in a flash drive that has not worked and been the cause of my asking questions of the forum. It works, its still plugged in and recognized. my problem is sporadic, what should I be?? looking for? I havent changed any settings?

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Transient problems are frequently due to hardware malfunctions.

You may want to invest in a PC Card.

-Jerry
aspano1

If I tried uninstalling the ports, changed my power settings, ran a hot fix from micro soft, they seem to power up when they want to. Sporadic just don't know when they'll be hot, and speaking of hot, a flash drive of mine has a light when it powers up, I can get the light to come on, and stay on, but the device is not recognized. So the port(s) do have power. Maybe not enough to jump start the drive? Confused, really confused!

Ace Advisor
Jerry_Lippey

Sporadic..

That's typical of failing hardware.

So the port(s) do have power. Maybe not enough to jump start the drive?

You can test that theory by using a powered hub.

-Jerry
aspano1

thanks I'll give it a try