JAYANTHA

USB devices not recognized

Hi!

Recently my Satellite P105-S6147 stopped recognizing all USB devices. When a  USB device is connected, I got a popup error message saying " one of the USB devices has malfunctioned....."  I tried all the USB ports with the same result.  Then I checked the device(s) (for example Western digital external USB drive)   by connecting to a different computer and it worked without any problem.  

I tried everything mentioned.
 Removed the battery and turned power off for a long time. Removing the USB device drives and rebooting the computer so that windows will reinstall the drivers, editing the registry etc.  nothing worked.  Then for no particular reason, I disabled the USB2 Enhanced controller-27CC in the device manager.  All of a sudden the computer recognized the WD drive and a message popped up saying "this device can perform faster...."  The computer now recognizes all the USB devices, but the problem is that they all operate at USB1 speeds.    This is real problem when transferring large files. 

The situation now is as follows.  If I reboot the computer with enhanced controller 27cc disabled, it does not do anything when a USB device is plugged in.  Not even an error message.  I then enable the enhanced controller 27CC.  If a USB device is already connected then the device not recognized pop up message appears.  I then disable the enhanced controller 27cc and the USB device is recognized with the "device can perform faster" pop up message.

I think the problem may be with the USB driver but I can't be sure.  The OS is Vista home premium.  Where do I get the correct USB driver?  Help with this problem is much appreciated.

Jayantha

Peter

Re: USB devices not recognized

USB drivers are handled by Windows, and additional drivers aren't necessary. If you've tried everything here, you may want to seek servicing.

- Peter
JAYANTHA

Thanks Peter!

I tried all and more.  Nothing worked.   I searched the internet to find a place to download 27cc  USB enhanced controller for vista.  I was unable to find a source.  Could you please direct me to a place where I can find the right driver. 

Jayantha

AODfan

If I were you and you know how, create a boot able cd rom for ubuntu that just runs from the disc, you wont have to actually install it on your laptop.  But once it loads to could check to see if your USB ports work in ubuntu, if they work there, than it is an OS issue and not a hardware issue.

pained

USB3 reader a plus

try "legacy usb: disable" in the bios?

external mice and keyboards will no longer function though

make that USB drive bootable

can you boot from it (where drivers no longer matter)?

alternatively add external USB3 (three) support,

JAYANTHA

Thanks for your suggestion.  I booted the computer from ubuntu DVD and all the devices were recognized without any issue.    I think this clearly indicates the problem is a driver issue.  Any suggestions?

Jayantha

Regular Advisor
MadRN

[ Edited ]

If it were Windows 7, just for giggles I would try downloading and reinstalling the chipset driver

"Intel Chipset SW Installation Utility for Windows 7 (32/64)"

But you have Vista, and I don't see anything similar for Vista.  Back up your stuff and do a complete restore to out-of-box or upgrade it to Win7 is what I recommend.   Vista seems to be good at corrupting system files.  Plus, if you've never done a Restore, you're probably past due.  I had all kind of weirdness going on with the L505D-S6947 Win Vista after running it 3 years without wiping and reinstalling.  Doing a Restore straightend it out.

You could also try searching the Windows Vista forum.  http://www.vistax64.com/  or wherever the 32bit one is.

I found this w/ Google:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_vista-hardware/windows-vista-usb-device-not...

USB is not only data, it's power.  Back in the LX and 440BX chipset days, the first USB ports couldn't supply enough power for high-draw devices like document scanners.  The solution was to buy a powered USB hub, one that has an AC power supply.  You'd plug the USB hub into the PC, and then plug your USB devices into that.  And the AC power supply would supply the power that the motherboard couldn't.   That might be a pach, if the problem does turn out to be the motherboard itself.

Regular Advisor
MadRN

[ Edited ]

Also, for what this is worth, maybe your should try to see if the machine just doesn't like ONE of the devices.  My P4 Intel D865 PERLL motherboard seems to have a perpetual but intermittent conflict with the internal card reader that I installed.  It plugs onto a USB header on the motherboard.    It gives me those "device not recognized: or "device stopped responding" or "this device can run faster"   messages, but the other devices don't stop working.  When I check Device Manager, the problem is always the card reader.  So, maybe there is one of your devices that is less compatible than the others.

With that card reader, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't.  The PC seems to have a problem with it whenever it comes out of hibernation.  It did it with WinXP Pro, and is better but not totally resolved with Win7 Home Prem 32 bit.