Doritoz

USB Port broken.

Hey guys, tonight while moving my laptop my cat managed to snag my mouse cord and detatch it from my computer, when I went to plug it back in I realized that my USB ports on the right side of my laptop were knocked loose because of it, and I can't plug my mouse in to them. Is there an easy way to fix this(I.E. opening up my lappy to put them in the right posistion) or would it be easier to send it to Toshiba for repairs?

I am currently under warranty and am not really interested in voiding it in the near future, so if I will be voiding it by opening my computer I would rather send it in.

One last question, if it comes down to me sending it in to Toshiba is there and average time that it will take to get it back?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: USB Port broken.

That wouldn't be covered by warranty anyway, and there is a good chance that if you would send it in later for some other problem that they wouldn't cover that under warranty either.  They could claim that the accidental damage to the USB port is the cause of any other problems that pop up later.  Not securing the USB port module has the potential of shorting out something on the circuit board which also wouldn't be covered under warranty so opening it up and fixing it would be your best option.  Since you didn't bother to inform us exactly what model it is it's difficult to provide specific information on how to do it on your model, but you can find dissassembly guides for a lot of Toshiba models on the following site that should help you with this.

http://www.irisvista.com/tech/

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Doritoz

I don't have my Laptop box with me at the moment so is there a way to figure out my model number without it?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

It's on a tag on the bottom of the laptop.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Doritoz

Ok, I have a Satelite A505-S6965.

Does that site you linked have all Toshiba models or only specific ones?

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

It has a lot of them, but not all.  I know that there is at least one for the A505 model.

SinaFritz59

[ Edited ]

I have an A505 with the exact same problem and it is only 18 months old and of course, out of warranty. I took it to our tech at work and she opened it up and showed me where the ports are supposed to be attached. Turns out that they are held in place by a single small screw that goes into a small plastic post that is positioned in between the two ports. They are wired to the motherboard, not soldered or reinforced in any way. That means that everytime you plug something into one of the USB ports, they can torque ever so slightly eventually breaking that teeny tiny post. Once that post is busted, the ports get pushed back into the case. Poor design in my opinion - but fixable if you have the moxy. Since it is out of warranty anyway, my husband and I are going to attempt to glue it to what's left of the post, then jury rig a plastic wedge to put between the back of the ports and the motherboard so they can't shift around anymore. This is what should have been done in the first place! 

oldforbes

This may not help with the loose ports but it is another possible solution.  There is an Express Card Slot on the left side of your laptop.  You can buy a USB card to insert in the Express Card Slot.  It will give you a new USB port to use on your laptop.  The idea of taking my laptop apart, with the complex instructions provided, did not appeal to me.  This may provide an optional solution.  A better one would be for Toshiba to own up to this problem and order a recall.  I had the same problem with loose USB ports and I am sure that the people in this forum are only the tip of the iceberg.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I've taken a lot of laptops apart from every brand and I have yet to find any with USB ports poorly enough designed to warrant a recall.  People just need to treat their laptops with a modicum of care and use some common sense. 

verlinda

Toshiba Satellite 505  After reading through several websites that showed up while seraching on "usb ports broken on laptop", and finding a number of recommendations that involved taking my laptop apart, I followed the advice of someone who recommended buying an "Express Card-USB adapter" (every USB port on my machine has broken away from the casing or holder. I am gentle with my machine and take the time to make sure I am correctly aligned...so I don't think my experience belongs in a 'reckless use' category. Rather, I think there must have been a design or engineering flaw where these ports are attached to the casing or motherboard.

After trying two models of Express Card-USB adapters I had located at Comp-USA (that were too big or long) I found one online for $29 that works perfectly in my machine (and offers four USB ports). It may not be the best solution, but lacking the resources to fix it myself, after the warranty had run out, my solution seems like a good fit.

PS. I have two other laptops that have never had all of their USB ports break off internally....so this is not over-use or misguided use, rather, sloppy craftworka

siggyd

Re: USB Port broken, A505-S6995.

Hi  "Verlinda" 

Could you please give me some details about the $29  Express card that you bought.

I have the same broken double USB connector,had called Toshiba under warranty,but they

refused warranty. Since so many people have problems with the very same connector,it IS A

DESIGN PROBLEM and Toshiba should stand behind their product.

Thank you in advance for any info on the Express card Name and model.

Siggy

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that since verlinda's one and only post was made the day they signed up for these forums over a year and a half ago, and they haven't logged into the forums since that day the chances of them even seeing your post is pretty much non-existance and the chances of them replying to it are even less likely.

You need to check the ExpressCard Specs for your system and look for an ExpressCard that fits those specifications. If you have the A505-S6995 then you would need an ExpressCard 34 or 54 device.

Please note that the ExpressCard slot may not supply enough power for some high power USB devices like external hard drives. Mice, flash drives, printers, and other lower power devices should work just find though. It's difficult for anyone one of us to tell you if a specific higher power device will or won't work. The only way to find that out is to try it yourself, or ask someone who has a similar setup.

And before you ask, not I don't a specific recommendation for one.

siggyd

Thanks  Cee_64 for your reply.

I got the needed Express card # PS3915U-1ETC from Toshiba, it comes with a CD with the driver and works 

for me on my A505-S6995....,Was about $ 34 with a discount plus shipping.

Here is the Link :   http://us.toshiba.com/accessory/PA3915U-1ETC/

Thanks again for your help, Siggy.

Iplaydrums87

[ Edited ]

I am having the same problem, now all my USB ports are done. Another thing, I can't access the internet. The icon is nowhere to be found. When I go to control panel, network/internet and click any of the icons, nothing..... The model L455D-S5976, serial no.XXXXXXXXX

[Moderator edit to remove serial number.]

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

NEVER under any circumstances post your serial number in a public forum. It won't tell any of us anything useful and could create privacy issues later on. Please edit your post to remove it. Since none of us are actual Toshiba Employees none of us would have any use for that number. The only time a serial number might be useful is if a Moderator or the Administrator needed it to check on something and they would ask for it to be sent to them in a private message, not out in public.

What do you mean by the USB ports are done? Did they physically break, come loose, or just stop working? Remember, we aren't there looking over your shoulder to see what is happening. We can only assist you if you provide us with details. Also, what type of internet? Ethernet, WiFi,, or dialup? Again, we need specific details to offer any sort of assistance.

The first thing I would do is download a Knoppix Linux Live CD iso image from http://www.knopper.net/knoppix/index-en.html , burn it to a blank CD using the burn from image (or write from image) option or to a USB thumb drive using Unetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/ and boot to that to see what does and doesn't work in that OS environment. If things work there then the problem is with your Windows install. If they don't, then you more than likely have an actual hardware problem that will need to be addressed. From what I can tell based on your specs, Knoppix should have no problems detecting and operating any of the hardware on that system. Other Linux distros could possibly work as well, but Knoppix is specifically designed for situations like this.