Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

TouchPad Not Working (Satellite P755-S5385)

Well my hard drive die a few weeks ago, and of course I am out of warranty by 6 months.  Anyways I purchased a new HHD and I ordered a recovery disk from Toshiba (thought they still included one in the box).  Installed everything Windows 7 is working fine, then I tried to use the touchpad without my mouse plugged in and no dice.  I went on this forum found similar issues, I tried the FN+F9, then I went to support link, downloaded driver using my computers serial number and neither worked.  I looked in device manager and only my mouse is listed (no Synaptic Pointing Device), I also checked in BIOS and pointing device is enabled.  Tried some other instructions I found in the support pages about: removing battery holding down power for 15 minutes, replace battery then F2 then F9 then F10 etc.  A system restore I don't think will help since the HHD is new and the old one was not able to be recovered.  Below is my computer info, any help will be appreciated.

Thanks!

Model P755-S5385

Part # PSAY1U-02E027

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Re: TouchPad Not Working (Satellite P755-S5385)

[ Edited ]

Hi Here's your driver!!

http://cdgenp01.csd.toshiba.com/content/support/downloads/TC40180100A.exe

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Hello Dokie,

I download the driver in your reply, but to no avail my touchpad is still not functioning.  Do you have any other suggestions?

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hello Lou! I don't have much use for the touch pad; meaning I think it is a sorry piece of hardware. Mine stopped working after a very short time of having my lap top. I like you, tried every thing I could find on this forum and on Google. I really preferred the wireless Microsoft mouse any way, but wanted the touch pad to work when I traveled. I never allow my lap top to go into sleep or hibernation and I seldom travel with it. If I 'm not going to be using it for a long time, I just shut it down. I read some bad things about the sleep and hibernation modes and that's the reason I don't use those features any more. This is what happened and I know it sounds crazy but it's a true story.

After closing the lid one day and accidentally touching the touch pad , I noticed it was working. I thought that's great. It hadn't been working for months That was during the time I was allowing my PC to inter into sleep mode. I discovered after coming out of sleep mode, if I wanted my touch pad to work, all I had to do after my PC came out of sleep mode was to close and open the lid.That's when I decided to not let my PC inter into the sleep mode any more. Like I said it's a crazy story. My touch pad is working and has been working ever sense I stopped using the sleep and hibernation features. I have my setting set to shut down my PC when I close the lid. So set yours like that. Close the lid and then open it and see if you get lucky like I did.

Dokie!!

I Love my Satellite L775D-S7222 Laptop. Some days you're the windshield, Some days you're the bug. The Computer world is crazy. If you have answers to computer problems, pass them forward.
Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Hi Dokie,

I agree I also use my wireless mouse daily, but there is times I sit outside and use the touchpad while surfing the net.  I find your advice a hopeful suggestion and am willing to give it a try.  I need to read my manual and find on how to disable to sleep mode and cross my fingers.  Will let you know the outcome.  Thanks again for your help.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Lou! Here's a zip file I made with PSR. It will show you step by step how to not let your PC go into sleep mode.

Dokie!!

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

I also have the option to shut down my PC when I close the lid!!

Regular Advisor
bmurray

have you tried entering safe mode and see if you can install the device driver?  What happens when you attempt to install the driver.  Error messages? 

Personally, I could not function w/o the pad. 

You could also go into device manager and uninstall the driver for the pad, and then try and reinstall it.  Again, I would do this in safe mode as there may be some other program interfering with the install. 

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Dokie,

Thanks for the zip files, I changed my power setting still nothing.  But thanks for trying, I am coming to realize that this piece of crap isn't going to function.

Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Bmurray,

I am able to download the driver file and it executes, I accept the EULA and it shows files downloaded fine. Then nothing.  I can't believe a machine a little over a year and the touchpad crapped out, and the funny thing is I might of used the touchpad probably a dozen times, I mainly use my wireless mouse.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

Could be a connection or could be a bad touch pad!

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Keyboards-Touchpads/Solved-Synaptic-Touchpad-not-working/td-p/272923

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

[ Edited ]

HI Lou!! Try this ! Another zip file:smileywink:

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Hi Lou! Here's another members solution!!

"Issue resolved.  Downloaded the TVAP and Flashcard from Toshiba website (this is the third time doing so).  Uninstalled mice, rebooted, then installed the TVAP.  Next I installed the Flashcard.  After Flashcard reboot, Fn+F9 and toggled to enable.  Now touchpad is working. 

I don't know what was done differently this time.  I am sure it was some kind of user error.  Sorry I could not provide more details.  I guess if you have a similar issue, try the solution (s) several times before you give up."

PS This should keep you busy:smileywink:

Dokie!!

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Lou_d04 wrote:

Bmurray,

I am able to download the driver file and it executes, I accept the EULA and it shows files downloaded fine. Then nothing.  I can't believe a machine a little over a year and the touchpad crapped out, and the funny thing is I might of used the touchpad probably a dozen times, I mainly use my wireless mouse.

did you uninstall the driver first?  go into device manager and right click on the touch pad device and uninstall the driver.  Then reboot.  go back to device manager and you should now see an explanation mark next to the touch pad device as it no longer has a driver.  If a pop up window indictes it wants to install a driver, just hit cancel to close it out.  Now, go to the Toshiba support site and enter your model and download the most recent touch pad driver to your desktop.  Right click on the file and run as admin.  All of this is done in safe mode. 

L305-S5955, T9300 Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB RAM, 60GB SSD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Bmurray,

In device manager there is no  touchpad, only mice and other pointing then i expand that and I see HID- compliant mouse.  So I am unable to uninstall the driver.

Frequent Advisor
Dokie

Good afternoon! Did you try any of my suggestions (TVAP ect) ???

Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Hello Dokie,

I was able finally download the TVAP but kept getting an error code with regards to windows installer. When I came out of safe zone then the driver completed, but nothing. I will try the flashcard driver and see if that works, I am not expecting anything from this lemon. I should have listened to everyone else and gone with a Dell. I'll keep you posted but don't get your hopes up (as I have).
Frequent Advisor
Dokie

"I should have listened to everyone else and gone with a Dell. I'll keep you posted but don't get your hopes up (as I have)."

But then you wouldn't have met Dokie!!:smileywink:

Occasional Advisor
kshrine

Hi! Lou_d04, I read yours, Dokie’s and bmurry’s posts and it seems like you’ve done all the right things to correct the problem.  I had similar situation in upgrading to Win 7 plus new HDD. I had to find a work around problem for some drivers that would not run, although it was not a replacement situation.

Have you tried Windows remedies and troubleshooting?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/help/mouse-touchpad-keyboard-problems-in-windows#v1h=tab0...

Occasional Contributor
Lou_d04

Hey Dokie,

I have tried the FN+F9 but no luck.  The second attachment you sent me "Touchpad Zip" I opened it and when I got to check my utilities file is not visible.  I followed step by step on the zip file but utilities file on my PC?  huh