Occasional Contributor
Rudy81

Toshiba fan noise

I have a Toshiba E45T-A4200 that I purchased less than three weeks ago.  I have noticed that compared to my previous machines the fan has a very annoying high pitched whine when running more than 50% speed. This occurs even when just running a browser and no power hungry applications. 

I have read various fan noise complaints for Toshiba machines but nobody seems to have any solutions.  Is there anything that can be done to reduce the fan noise?  I have played around with the various power settings and none of the available options seem to provide any relief.  

I really like this machine, but the fan noise is making wonder if I should return this machine and go with a different brand.

Super Advisor
eagle3

Re: Toshiba fan noise

If you are considering returning Toshiba direct only gives you 15 days, you would have to check where you bought it to see how long you have.

S70-ABT2N22 Windows 7, A135-S2256 Windows 7, C55-A5180 Windows 7 ****Click on White “Kudos” STAR to say thanks!****
Regular Advisor
bmurray

fans can usually be easily silenced but with a brand new machine such as yours you should either bring back to where you bought or return to Toshiba for repair/replace or your $ back

L305-S5955, 4GB RAM, 250GB 10K rpm HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64-bit
Occasional Contributor
Rudy81

At this point I'm not sure what I'll end up doing.  I got mine at Best Buy and they too only have a 15 day return policy. However, my credit card has a way to return it for up to 90 days.  

Problem is I don't want to have to start over with a new machine and thus far I like this one except for the times when the fan cranks up.  I have put a dB meter on it and it reads about 30dB when it is at 62%, but it's not so much the volume, but more of the frequency generated. For whatever reason, it annoys me while working. 

After researching various other make and model Ultrabooks, this seems to be a common complaint.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Like I said, if your game, silencing a fan is pretty easy.  getting to it is the hardest part. 

Occasional Contributor
Rudy81

I'm game, at least I can consider the options! :smileyhappy:

Regular Advisor
bmurray

just search on youtube at how to disassemble the netbook.  don't have to be exact model number to get the general idea.  From what I can tell, you don't need to take it entirely apart to access the top of the fan.  just remove the keyboard and you can see the top.  you can also do a search on how to lube a computer fan and get what you need to know.  basically just remove or peal back the sticker over the center of the fan and inject lube (i.e., graphite, wd-40, etc.) onto the shaft so it lubes the bearing (the part that squeaks).  spin the fan a little to work it in and that should do it. 

Occasional Contributor
Rudy81

Solved....sort of Re: Toshiba fan noise

Thank you for all the help.  I decided that there was no point in taking apart a brand new machine.  The place where I purchased it was good enough to take it back due to the loud fan.  I got an Asus machine with same CPU and memory, but better resolution display for just $30 more.  I'm finishing setting the new machine up and it is totally silent, even when CPU is getting a workout installing software etc.  

Have yet to hear any fan noise on this machine.  

I will say that I liked the Toshiba tools and BIOS setup more than this ASUS, but I guess you can't have it all.

Now running Win 8.1 with no issues.

Too bad that I couldn't get used to the Toshiba fan noise, I really liked that machine.

Regular Advisor
bmurray

Re: Solved....sort of Re: Toshiba fan noise

glad to hear you are good to go.  A brand new computer should work flawlessly

Occasional Contributor
Rudy81

I guess you can't have everything in this price point.  The new machine is totally quiet and has a fantastic 1080 HD screen.  However, it does not have some of the features of the Toshiba which made it really nice as well.  The Asus takes longer to boot without the Intel Fast Boot software, and doesn't have the track pad fine tuning software.  

For me, however, a fan I can hear is from across the room is just unacceptable.  

I gues if I had spent over $1000 I would have everything.

kharstin

I too have the E45t-A4200 and it also has a throbbing noisy fan.  Toshiba should replace the fan.  This is clearly defective as it starting making noise within three months of purchase.  I did take mine appart.  It turned out to be easy.  Just remove all of the screws visible on the back and then the back cover will snap off with some modest prying to get it started.

The fan is a cheap sleeve bearing device and probably was not even factory lubricated.  I applied some plastic compatible light oil and it is much more bearable but not nearly as quiet as it should be.  I expect a fan like this will need to be re-oiled every few months.

This is my third Toshiba lap top and while I agree that it was appeared to be a bargain I also expected it to be a Toshiba and I have a right to expect it to live up to Toshiba quality. 

Please send me a replacement fan that is not defective.

Ken Harstine

56 Nonotuck Street

Holyoke, MA  01040

Regular Advisor
kenna

[ Edited ]

kharstin,

This is a forum for user-to-user. We do not replace parts here. We only provide information regarding troubleshooting information on Toshiba products.

I would address your issue to Toshiba Customer Service listed below.

customerservice@toshibadirect.com
800-618-4444

-Kenna

P.S. I would delete your name and address from this public forum.

"Knowledge should be unrestricted and the most important commodity we can offer to help one another."
Peter

I wanted to jump in here to point something out about that e-mail address. Toshiba Direct is the site that handles sales. That e-mail address is for customer service related to making purchases. If you already have the product and need support, you need to call customer support.

- Peter
Regular Advisor
kenna

Peter,

Thanks for the correction on the email address issue.

-Kenna

"Knowledge should be unrestricted and the most important commodity we can offer to help one another."