Occasional Contributor
cyberqueen

Toshiba Service Station not working

I have a new Toshiba netbook NB205-330BN running Windows 7 Starter.  A week or so ago, I started getting a message at startup telling me that Toshiba Service Station was not working.  I had the choice of having it search for a solution and close the program, or just close the program.  For a while, I chose the former, but that never proved useful, so now I just tell it to close the program.  Do I need this program?  If I need it, how should I go about getting it to work?  If I don't need it, I assume I can disable it from trying to start at startup.  However, I don't want to do that if it's really useful/needed.

Thanks in advance.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

Re: Toshiba Service Station not working

It's basically useless and most people either disable it or uninstall it.  Go to the Communicate link at the top of this page and click on the Sign Up For Updates link.  Now fill in the model number of the system or systems that you want to keep track of and you will recieve an e-mail whenever there is an update posted for that model.  The service station only alerts you to Critical updates while the Sign Up For Updates will alert you to ALL updates which is much more useful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Occasional Contributor
cyberqueen

Thanks VERY much, cee_64, for your prompt and helpful response.  I'll do as you suggest.

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

No problem. 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you don't post your COMPLETE model number it's very difficult to assist you. Please try to post in complete sentences with punctuation, capitals, and correct spelling. Toshiba does NOT provide any direct support in these forums. All support is User to User in their spare time.

Tchai

well, first of all, hi!

ok cee_64 I partially agree with you, maybe most of the people don't use the Service Station, and I personally find it useless but, I have the same issue, and I'm the kind of person who wants the computer to work as it should. Service Station was working fine at the very beggining and then it just stopped. I tried updating from Toshiba and even when the update is successful, it doesn't work yet.

I also tried by unisntalling the existing version and then installing the new one, the same. I even unisntalled the existing and re-installed the same existing version, nothing happened.

I have an A505-S6980 and everytime I try to run Service Station I get an error message.

Thank you for your time and knowledge! regards,

Luis

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

I still say uninstall it.  The actual computer will run like it should without it, and in fact will more than likely run better.  I don't have any idea how to fix Service Station.  Since it's such a useless P.O.C. I never wasted my time trying to figure out how to fix it.  It simply isn't worth the time and effort to do so when it doesn't do a darn thing for the user. 

Tchai

Roger that :smileywink:

thanks for all!

kamilo18

I also have a problem with TOSHIBA SERVICE STATION, my laptop is a Toshiba satellite L505D-SP6907 with Windows 7. At system strats a message at startup telling me that Toshiba Service Station was not working. I had the choice of having it search for a solution and close the program, or just close the program. Finding downloads of new version of program, i found 3 models L505D-SP6907A, L505D-SP6907C and L505D-SP6907R, so I download the three, and instaled one by one but none can solve the problem after instal any of them it still shows me the same message. Any of you know what to do in this case??

best regards

your promp answer will be highly apreciated  

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

See my previous answer a few posts back.  That's the best solution.

player21

I have the same problem & quite frankly disaree with most of the comments above, even though you can still get the updates sent by email, getting it through the service station makes it a bit easier to install it, (Not to mention piece of mind that apps don't just stop working for no reason) and the fact that emails can get accidently deleted or blocked in you email system along with all other spam.... Most interesting, this question is yet to be answered, when someone posts here looking for a solution to a problem, don't just say well F#%&* it uninstall it, that's not a solution, that's a crutch or bandage not a fix..

Frequent Advisor
cee_64

If someone knew how to fix it they would have posted how to do it.  You can search this site and find that to date, no one has done so except to use the Recovery Process to restore the system to it's factory out of box state.  That would require one to backup all of the data, documents, etc.  first, then recover the system,  restore the data,  install all of their third party applications, run windows update, configure everything, and then when Service Station craps out again do this all over again.  That's one of the reasons why I recommend just uninstalling it. 

As for making it easier to install updates, it also causes problems.  Search the forums and you will see a LOT of posts where people have just installed a bios update through Service Station and screwed up their system necessitating sending it in to a Service Center and paying a couple of hundred dollars to get it fixed. You'll also see post after post about people who have installed updates via Service Station, but then have SS prompt them that the very update they just finished installing needs to be installed again, even though it was correctly installed.  It will also fail to install an update properly at times. 

For the most part, just because there is an update doesn't mean that one needs to install it.  Unless one is having a specific problem that is addressed in the update it is NOT necessary to install it.  In the case of a bios update, that should never be done from within Windows and there are other precautions that one needs to take prior to a bios update as well.  Running a bios update from Service Station all but assures that you will be doing it incorrectly.  99.99999% of the time it's better and safer to install them directly from the file that you download from the Support Site rather than from Service Station. 

Service Station, although it's premise sounds good and all, simply does not work like it's supposed to.  All to often it causes more problems than it solves.  One is much better off going with the E-Mail alert method and MANUALLY downloading and installing the few updates that are released for their system than relying on a buggy piece of software that has the potential to mess up their computer and cost them a considerable amount of money to fix.